Notices

I will never drink again.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I will never drink again.

Like the title states, i've said this over a million times to myself in my 29 years. I don't really know how to do this or what to say. But I guess i'll just start about Me. I'm a 29 year old mother of 3 boys. Ive had a problem with alcohol since, i would say 17. Than i realized drinking alone was more intriguing to me. (or i just wanted to drink more when everyone else knew how to stop). I was/am a binge drinker. I never knew when to stop. I dont need alcohol to function, but when I want it, I want it. Ive gotten 2 DWIs within 1 year when i was 21 and lost my license since. Been in and out of mental health hospitals, rehabs, outpatients, AA meetings. The one thing i did lack was people to talk to because I have severe anxiety. Alcohol always cured my anxiety but always makes it worse. like i said I have 3 boys that are everything to me, I know im a good mom when alcohol is not around. (all 3 of my boys live in a different state now) I live half there and half here in ny where i live, im wanting to move there with my children, when im there with them i didnt drink for 7 weeks, thats big for me. i just know moving from state to state is not going to cure my alcoholism. what i wanted out of this forum is just people to talk to online, that will help me on my way to sobriety. Thank you for reading.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Hi Jen! Welcome to SR!

Lots of determination in that post. Seems like you've got step 1 figured out: Stop Drinking!

Step 2 is where you figure out everything else!
It's a little daunting at first, but it can be done.

You can do this!
Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

is this how it is normally or what?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i say this because no one answered, and i need a sober friend
Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi, Jen and Welcome!
Just be patient. There are lots of new friends out there on SR. The more you post and reply, the more we get to know you. Have you posted on the 24 hour thread? You may also want to join the January Class, too!
Stay with us. Give it a chance and don't be discouraged.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jen:

As a father of three boys, I can confirm what you already know: sobriety will make you a much better parent.

There is a lot of hope and desire and determination in your post. All of that is good. Acceptance of a problem and a willingness to change are huge first steps. The next step is for you to develop a plan to make that happen. A recovery plan should be specific to you - it should consider the fact that you have severe anxiety, for example. Here is a great thread on recovery plans: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?).

Good luck to you. You will get a ton of support on this forum, without judgment. You can do this. I have gone from drinking being the most important part of my life to it playing absolutely no role; and I am happier, with less stress and anxiety. It's weird, but I often drank to reduce anxiety and, over time, it was the drinking that was the primary cause of anxiety. You will likely find the same to be true.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jen,

Welcome!

It sounds like you know you need to give up alcohol in order to be the best person and best mother you can be.

It's always a good idea to have a plan in place to help.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Jen. Welcome to the SR family. You will have lots of friends here. The folks here have years and years of collective sobriety and wisdom. Please read through the forum and post often. As ChloeRose suggested, the more you post, the more we will get to know you. All of us are rooting for you. Is this your first day?
Old 01-29-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jen and welcome. SR is a great place and you'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jen. Welcome!

I think there is a chat room thingy here but I honestly don't know how it works. If you're interested maybe PM one of the mods (Anna or Dee) for some direction. That might give you more immediate responses.

Hang in there!
Old 01-29-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you JenfromNY! Don't let anything talk you out of your decision to quit drinking for good, especially yourself, that's what you have to watch out for, that little voice in your head that tells you all the reason why you can't do it, or why you deserve a drink. Gotta conquer the enemy from within.

Quitting drinking was the best thing I've ever done for myself! Onwards and upwards!
Old 01-29-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jen -
I’m new to not drinking too. Day 9 for me. Now is my “drink time” and my head is screaming for it. But I am not going to give in.... if I have to drink a gallon of tea or coffee I will until that voice leaves me. Yesterday I found filling that cravings with chocolate chips did the trick. It’s hard but everyday I have been on here reading everyone posts, struggles and successes. I know there is no moderation for me, I can’t have any. I find this site very helpful, I hope you do too.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jen

You'll find this place one of the most supportive sites on the web - but replies depend on the time of day - you might have to refresh the page every so often too to see new replies

If you want the chat room, the portal is here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/achat.php

D
Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hiya Jen,

One of the great things about SR is that so many of us understand social anxiety and this is a seriously non-threatening environment to share and engage. Definitely consider the 24 hour forum here as Chloe mentioned. The folks here get it; there's nothing to worry or be ashamed about. Please consider trying again a plan on that end that will give you a sense of accountability--there's people who will take you in and help you stay consistent in your journey. I'm certain that in Queens alone there's a ton of recovery groups and one will be the perfect fit for you--whether it be AA, Smart Recovery or the like. You can find out more about them here as well.

The more you grow in your sobriety, the more your children (I have a few myself) will see the transformation in you. I've seen it in my short 5+ months.

Take care of yourself

T.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just adding my welcome and hello. Hope you’re hanging in there. You’ve come to the right place!
Old 01-29-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Jen. If I am reading your post correctly you are here on day one. Welcome to you. I have had so many day ones I honestly can't keep track.
Today is day one for me as well. Keep posting and reading. Lots of good advise here.

asixstringnut
Old 01-29-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jen!
Old 01-30-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Jen!! Welcome to SR. I am just starting my journey myself with 12 day sober today. I look forward to seeing you around.