Notices

Finally going to stop. DO I need Detox?

Old 11-02-2004, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gtftlsd

Finally going to stop. DO I need Detox?

It has been since may of 2000 and I have consumed about 1/3 to 1/2 of a Fifth of vodka on pretty much a daily basis. Can I stop without suffering any withdrawl symptoms>?.
Thanx
Old 11-02-2004, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((((Chase)))))))
Sounds doubtful to me, but then again I am just another alcoholic and not a doctor. I would suggest consulting your physician ASAP and getting real honest with them. If your available to chat sometime let me know, I would love to tell you how I found a way out of my drinking dilemma.

Wishing you well,
Three Legs
Old 11-02-2004, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Chase, yes I agree with 3 legs, your doctor can prescribe something to help you through it. " To get to the other side you have to go through it." We are all here for you to help get through it.
Love Tina
Old 11-02-2004, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Detox or Treatment

Chase,

Withdrawl from the chronic ingestion of Alcohol can be dangerous and deadly. I went to a treatment center, and man did they help me through the withdrawls. They also helped me in many many other ways.

I can recomend what worked for me. I went to Hazelton/Springbrook near Portland, OR. Give them a call at 800-333-3712, they will give you a free assesment over the phone.

Good Luck,

Jim
Old 11-02-2004, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Chase, withdrawal from any drug (and alcohol IS a drug...we are all addicts) is hell, but alcohol is the only drug that withdrawal from is not only hell, it can be, and often is, deadly.

I drank a half gallon of gin a day for a long time before checking myself into the Ridgeview Institute in Smyrna, GA in May. Detox was seven days of hell before even starting treatment, but it has gotten better and better ever since.

Hang in there...it's worth whatever it takes.

BubbaBob
Old 11-02-2004, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
lui

Same question, different bottle

So, how about a bottle of wine/six pack of beer? I've got an appt. to see my doctor, just looking for opinions, experiences...
Old 11-02-2004, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Chase, speak to a doctor immediately. My brother almost died on Sept 7th from alcohol withdrawal. He talks about the 10 missed days he can't remember when he was in ICU.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Goto a doctor or even just an ER...I went to an ER, they monitored me for a while, did some blood work and gave me a prescription for Librium to stop the shakes and anxiety....and I wasn't a daily drinker, just a HELL of a BINGE drinker...
There is no reason to suffer through withdrawl on your own when a simple prescription can make it easier....
But, don't forget to get to a meeting or other help...just tell SOMEONE that you help, its a huge burden off of your conscience.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((((((((((Chase)))))))))
I'm just wondering how your doing today? Thanks for the PM. I seem to get so busy at times fiddle farting around with f2f life and simply screwing around online that I forget what is really important.

Just a reminder, you are important!

I'm still available to chat if and when your available. Please let me know if and when your available for livetime chat.

Keeping you in thoughts and prayers,
3 Legacy
Old 01-07-2005, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Only by the Grace of God....

Chase,
Get professional help now. DO NOT DETOX on your own. YOU CAN DIE. Detoxing from alcohol is harder on your body that kicking Heroin. I have a friend that has been in ER 8 times in 18 months, trying to detox himself.

Go to a detox and treatment. You can have your life back.

Right Here, Right Now
Sean M.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
gtftlsd

Thanx guys for your input ,,,,,,,,,, I know I am going to need your help, that is if you can put up with me.... But now I am kind of scared...

let me clarify...........I have been drinking 3 to 5 vodka tonics 7days a week... I usually use between 1/3rd but not over 1/2 of a 5th of smirnoff.... WIll I need detox or can my doctor prescribe something for me.... I am a business owner and I just cant take off and leave.

thank you
Old 01-07-2005, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Only by the Grace of God....

I'm not a doc, but at that level, he should be able to prescribe something that you can take during normal business hours for your physical symtoms. Now for the hardest part of this recovery and sobriety equation: your mental, emotional and spirtual health.

I would highly suggest taking the time to go to 30 days of treatment somewhere good. I would recommend Sunrise Recovery Ranch in Riverside California www.drugrehabranch.com I just left there earlier this week. I had 3 years of sobriety until July of this year, when I blew it. I was in a tail spin since that time. This is why I finally decided to go to treatment for 30 days at an all guy facility. Yes, I missed Christmas and New Years with my wife and 3 children, but it was the best 30 days of my life. It was a time-out from life to reflect on what I like, dislike, why I think the way I do, and a time to truely caputure what this Recovery Process is all about. I too am a small business owner. Thankfully the last 45 days is slow for us. I don't regret one minute of making the decision to go to treatment.

If you can't do treatment right now, I would suggest going to daily AA meetings and getting a sponsor/friend in AA. Just ask someone. They most likely will accept. Buy a Big Book (Alcoholics Anonymous) and read the 1st 164 pages. They will be telling some of your story in that book.

Good Luck (Labor Under Correct Knowledge) in your decision.

Sean M.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chase
Thanx guys for your input ,,,,,,,,,, I know I am going to need your help, that is if you can put up with me.... But now I am kind of scared...

let me clarify...........I have been drinking 3 to 5 vodka tonics 7days a week... I usually use between 1/3rd but not over 1/2 of a 5th of smirnoff.... WIll I need detox or can my doctor prescribe something for me.... I am a business owner and I just cant take off and leave.

thank you
Chase :
We can put up with you but be careful now cuz sometimes we use duct tape for detoxing business owners.

When your ready to get rolling, please let us know. I've "helped" to wean quite a few folks off the vodka, but would still suggest seeing your physician and getting honest with them first. Contacting local AA members would also be very helpful. Thank God not every one who gets sober must do the Country Club Spin Dry. It would sure be a nice vacation though if you have the cashflow and time.

Looking forward to watching & reading about your progress, one day at a time.

((((((((((Chase))))))))))
Kiss Heart of Spirit
In Love & Service,
3 Legacy
:tri
Old 01-07-2005, 08:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Chase, If you really want to stop. you can it take effort and patience. just start at the begining. day 1, (24 hours) you simpley abstain. It would probibly be good to have someone around in case things get to the point of needing a hospital. chances are you will be able to detox with out life threatening symptoms. Just begin and stick to it. buckle your self in for the ride. For me it has been and still is a ride. I am glad I found sr. These people have really really helped me out. I will be looking foward to reading you again good luck.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chase
let me clarify...........I have been drinking 3 to 5 vodka tonics 7days a week...
Well, first of all, how strong were you mixing those?

First of all, I agree with everyone else. It would be good to have medical supervision while you're going through the first week or so.

On the other hand, don't let what they're saying turn into an excuse to continue. I live by myself, with nobody to keep an eye on me, and I detoxed at home. I was taken a bit off guard when the hallucinations came, but hallucinations don't kill you if you just roll over and go to sleep. Sure, it's a little bit freaky when you hear a party going on in your living room (and see people looking at you through the windows...), but there's nobody there when you go to join in, but that only lasts for a few nights.

If drinking is hurting you, QUIT DRINKING!!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up control

I have been sober for a few days and it has been pure hell physically. My heart pounds out of my chest to the point I feel like I am going to have a heart attack. I seriously considered going to the emergency room night before last. Thye only reason I haven't is because I have already went to detox so many times, re-hab's, and doctors putting me in debt thousands of dollars. I have prayed this time instead which helps, but if I could I would get medical help. Doing it your own is hell and could be fatal I suppose depending on how much you drink. I can guarantee you will have physical withdrawls though! I wish you luck, keep posting on how you are doing.. I look forward to hearing from you. With Love, Susan
Old 01-08-2005, 05:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
gtftlsd

Thanx folks,

Cant explain how good it is to know that I can go somewhere like here for support. U are all wonderful people.

I will keep u all posted.
Right now I am climbing the steps of the High dive and I think I can see the top.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SuzaLady

Hi Chase,
I'm new too. And today will be my first day. I'm now afraid of withdrawal symtoms--
I wish us both luck

PeggySue
Old 01-08-2005, 06:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
gtftlsd

PeggySue,'

I wish you luck tonight !! Stick around.
These people here are great.

god speed to u.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dearest Chase, PeggySue, and Susan,

I am right there with you and very afraid. My husband is with me and will help if necessary. Good luck and prayers are with you. Past history tells me it will only be a couple of days of hell. Hope it will be that short for you as well.

Hugs, Marilyn