Notices

Finally going to stop. DO I need Detox?

Old 01-08-2005, 08:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Glad you are all getting your selves together. Keep this in mind you are all doing what we are all doing here. Every day is a new day and the only way out I know that works 100% of the time is to abstain 1 day at a time. Most of the time you got to micro manage that 24 hours staying moment to moment. Good luck remember you are not alone by along ways Sr will be here for us all and for that I am very grateful.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up control

Marilyn and Chase,
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that you are both in my thoughts and prayers! We can do this for today... Lets stick together and keep one another posted.... Talk to you soon! (Day Four) With Love, Susan
Old 01-08-2005, 09:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up control

PeggySue... that goes for you too!!!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SuzaLady

Chase,
Old 01-08-2005, 04:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SuzaLady

Chase,
Talk to me. I feel like a loser. I need encouragement. thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 06:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I figured I would jump into this thread since I just came out of detox today and at least relay my experience. I was amazed at what's available to help with withdrawal symptoms. As a little background, I've been drinking at least a fifth of whiskey daily for several years, significantly more when I was binging. But, before anyone thinks "I don't drink that much", let me tell you I saw all ranges of alcohol consumption while I was in treatment. People who drank as little as a 12 pack a day to those drinking over a gallon of the hard stuff were going through detox. All of us had withdrawal symptoms of varying degrees.

The biggest thing they kept checking on us was blood pressure. When you suddenly stop drinking, your BP can become seriously elevated. If you already have hypertension in some form, this can cause some really serious problems. In detox they can monitor this frequently, and administer appropriate medication as needed.

Some of the acute symptoms of withdrawal are intense anxiety and tremors. The medications they used to help with these were Tranxene and Vistaril. These helped keep my blood pressure down, and ease the tremors and anxiety. Everyone on the unit were treated with these medications to some degree depending on the level of withdrawal symptoms.

Quitting drinking nearly always results in loss of sleep. Again, medications were given that helped me at least get some sleep, and not feel completely thick-headed in the morning.

If you're worried about having to take off work, most detox centers will release you within 3-5 days, and help you determine a discharge plan that gives you some clear directions on how to keep sober. As I found out, many insurance plans will only cover inpatient care for detox only.

I didn't go to some expensive facility either. It was just a local rehab affiliated with a local hospital. I think the most important thing I got from the experience, other than sobering up, is learning tools I can use to help me stay sober after I walked out of rehab.

I live alone, and am certain I could have never made it through a self-detox on my own. Knowing what I know now, I am even more certain that I should not have even attempted it. As others have said, it's a potentially life-threatening ordeal. I'm obviously not an expert on the matter, but am convinced that it's nothing to be triffled with.

This post has run pretty long, so I'll pipe down now. If you have any questions that a newly sober person who went the detox route can answer, feel free to private message me.

Randy
Old 01-09-2005, 09:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
gtftlsd

Randy,

Thanx for sharing your experience. I have many more questions for u.
I'll email later.

god speed to u
Old 01-09-2005, 12:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Chase, No problem. I'll be more than happy to share my experience. I'm still new to the whole sobriety thing, but am already certain I finally made a "good" choice by dealing with my problem. I won't lie though, making that decision to go into treatment was incredibly difficult. What I found out though is that how I imagined it was going to be was far, far worse than it actually was. It wasn't exactly a vacation in Hawaii or anything, but for me, after the first couple of days, things began to settle.

Five days for me today!

Last edited by TechGuy; 01-09-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

(((((((((Randy))))))))))

Congratulations on 5 Days!!!!!!!

I've visited a few detox's doing some A.A. service work, so I do understand detox is not necessarily CLUB MED like many of the 30 -60- and 90 Treatment Country Clubs can be.

Please keep us updated on your progress on the outside.

Keep Truckin,
3 Legacy
Old 01-09-2005, 05:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

For anyone reading this thread that is interested in more info on what to expect when trying to quit, here's a link to a thread started by Chy in the Alcohlism forum. It includes several members accounts of their withdrawals and what they experienced.

What to expect
Old 01-09-2005, 06:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I wonder how people take the time out of their lives to go into a rehab or treatment facility. Like Chase said, he has a business and can't just take off... I would almost feel like I am hurting myself by interrupting my life and taking time off from work (is that even allowed, w/o being fired?) to go into treatment. Sure, actors and such can take time to go 'away' but what about us regular folk?
Old 01-09-2005, 07:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well, I for one am not an actor, that's for darn sure. At least not sober!

Taking time off to enter into a detox is covered under the Family Medical Leave Act, which I believe allows for a maximum of 12 weeks away from your job per year. Unfortunately, this generally only applies to employes of companies with 50 or more employees. I think only full time employees who have worked for their employer for 12 months are covered. Also, unless you have stored up "vacation time" or "sick time", the employer isn't required to pay you while you are out. If you're only going to be gone a week, then that "may" not be a big deal. Also, you're employer may NOT ask the specific nature of the medical condition for which you are taking the leave.

One of the important things I found out is that there really isn't such a thing as a 28-day program any more unless you have extremely good insurance or have the financial resources to self-pay. As I mentioned before, most health insurance providers will only pay for a 3-5 day detox, which means you could be back at work in a week, or less.

If you own your own business, then it's a decision you have to make if you can be away from it for a few days. I would think though that if you have a drinking problem, you would only be able to keep that business going for so long.

Everyone's situation is obviously different. I'm not sure how one would be hurting themselves by going into detox, BUT... my situation may have been a little easier than others (i.e. no children to deal with). I know I keep harping on about detox, but a year ago I never even thought it an option because I didn't know how it would impact my job, life, etc. I don't have all of the answers, but whatever I can do or say to help someone escape from hell I won't hesitate with.

For info on the Family Medical Leave Act, click the link below:

Family Medical Leave Act FAQ