Notices

It's the little things...

Old 01-28-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's the little things...

I know to those whom have never had an issue with alcohol this will not seem like a big deal...but for the rest of us I'm sure you'll appreciate why I'm posting about it...

So my brother calls me yesterday evening to say his car won't start and could I come and give him a jump start, that he's tried other people so as not to trouble me but no one can help. So rewind 9 months ago...a Saturday evening and I'd probably be on bottle of wine #2...no way could I have helped him out. But yesterday I was able to go out and 'rescue' my little bro...just as a big sis should be able to do...it felt great 😁 Not so great when he messaged me at 7.56am this morning asking for help again lol but as I didn't have to worry about whether I was over the limit from the day before I headed out again...thankfully though his car is now at a garage!
Old 01-28-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So what 'little things have others been able to do because they are sober that wouldn't have been possible when drinking???
Old 01-28-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Watching my 6 year old son’s taekwondo grading for his green belt at 9am Sunday morning yesterday. Be probably still on my Saturday bender or passed out by then usually and would be out of the question. He was so happy and proud.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get it Nova, Its great to be'present'all the time

D
Old 01-28-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me it’s losing weight and getting in shape. Alcohol always got in the way, buh-bye!
Old 01-28-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So true, Nova! When I drank I became an irresponsible blob - it's wonderful to be a human being once again. Nicely said.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My little things would be back to helping my folks with the heavy lifting or just odd jobs again. They never told me, but when they knew I was having a drinking problem they just stop asking me and I was too much of a drunk to notice they had stopped.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I remember when my wife was pregnant being in utter fear that tonight was the night and I would be half in the bag when I had to drive her to the hospital.
There have been times more recently where I helped a member of my family out in the evening when I know I wouldn’t have been able to do it in years past.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Taking better care of my dogs and cats is the biggest reward of living sober. Always able to take them for a walk, meals on time, lots of perks to staying sober.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went grocery shopping last week after 8 p.m. The store was virtually empty, it was great! I wondered to myself, "Why have I not done this befor...." then remembered "Oh, right. The drinking."
Old 01-29-2018, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me it's sitting helping my 9year old with her homework and actually taking an interest in what she's doing ...spending hours playing with her and laughing so hard
That to me is what it's all about

Not looking into the bottom of a wine glass
As I always did

But just by being there for my beautiful daughter x
Old 01-29-2018, 01:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Nova,

I almost crashed my car dealingg w some kind of low sugar situation after years of binge drinking.

My kid was with me.

If I had crashed I may have lost my driving privileges, job, or my son.

These days I have to drive him all over town, the free way etc. At odd hours.

I almost destroyed my good life by drinking.

Yesterday, my wife wanted to go to a cool restaurant across town for lunch.

I had just worked out and was feeling pretty strong. It was an easy let's do this.

Back in the day, no way. I would have been drinking since noon or sooner.

Sometimes I would wake up early, drink, pass out, wake up and drink more.

Nightmare to me now.

It has taken the better part of 3 years, but I am really beginning to feel an overwhelming sense of joy at times being this clean.

I still crave a bit, but I am very proud of my new non drinking self.

No regrets.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Nova

I can see how that would make you feel and it made me smile.
I can not think of how I have helped someone else since giving up. Though I'm sure I have somehow.

I have been and felt pretty crappy really so far.

The thing that has personally surprised me and made me most happy is the weight loss.
Slowly slowly the weight is vanishing one pound here and one pound there. No fad diet. No pain. I am a whole stone lighter than I was pre abstinence.
I'm happy with that😁
Best wishes, Dusty😎
Old 01-29-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

I am happy that I don't have to hide my beer from folks stopping by. I like to sit on my porch and when I saw folks approaching the house early afternoon, I would hide my beer and grab my bottle of water. (I always had a water bottle by my beer in case folks stopped by). I was so ashamed when those folks always saw me with a beer early afternoon.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rar

"The thing that has personally surprised me and made me most happy is the weight loss.
Slowly slowly the weight is vanishing one pound here and one pound there. No fad diet. No pain. I am a whole stone lighter than I was pre abstinence.
I'm happy with that
" Dusti: I've lost a significant amount of weight as well. It pleases me, but I can't seem to get rid of the bloat. Hope that goes away.