Notices

How much money???

Old 01-26-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How much money???

Omg! I just went through my bank statement and I worked out my alcoholism cost me about £280 PER MONTH!! Maybe a few pounds more!!! So, I thought righto that’s an obscene waste of money to spend on a slow suicide with nothing to show for it!! So I’ve just booked myself and my daughter a cool holiday in Tunisia for October. I used to think we couldn’t afford holidays! How wrong was I?

One more thing to live for. One more thing to stay on track for. Kind of fun browsing for holidays as I can’t bloody sleep anyway (withdrawal). Unless I cave in and tell her my plan is to not breath a word to my daughter, pull her out of school under pretext of dentist appointment and then whisk her off to the airport for a huge surprise. On the other hand if I do tell her she will be so excited it’ll keep me accountable?

No going back now! I’ve spent my wine money from now till October lol
Old 01-26-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Freedom.
Welcome.
Tunisia sounds lovely.
IME, my son would not have liked being surprised with a holiday.
He was a nervous traveler at best, and did best when he knew what we were doing well in advance.
But that’s us.
Peace.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd let her know as well. Maybe a card with the confirmation printout in it to make it more 'special' for her. At the end of my drinking career I think I was close to or a bit over $30k(USD)/year on my "hobbies"(drinking,drugs,gambling and other bad decisions made by my drinking). I'm going to go get sick now.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Free,

Since I almost always drank at home I usually spent about $100/month.

I recall dropping $16 for a martini one night though.

Drinking booze doesn't make sense to me, therfore once I was over the physical addiction I always had a better chance to analyze my way through the craves.

I craved for about 30 seconds yesterday. I was walking into the the gym and my av says....turn around, go get some booze and drink.

My analysis says...lol...it is your crave time...With in seconds the crave was gone.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SWB

I’m on day thirteen of my sobriety, but between June and thirteen days ago easily spent 4K on top shelf tequila. It pains me to say that as I don’t make a ton of money, but as Sipowitz said in Nypd Blue-“ Regret for the past is a waste of spirit” He was an alcoholic in the show.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Freedom thats great to hear what ur doing x I did the same many yrs ago and took my family to florida when i gave up alcohol and smoking for a year. Its a great incentive.
At the moment i am doing smoking first and then will work through my drinking soon.

Good luck on your journey of being sober x you are worth it x
Old 01-27-2018, 04:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd easily do $200-$300 AUD per week. It's insane so even comprehend how I possibly did that. A part of my brain would ignore it or rationalise why I was/am always chasing bills. Yuk.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I spent tons. I had a day and money sober calculator that I used the first year (I am almost two years sober) and it was astounding.

Something I really like about your plan- it's Jan now and you are goinkeep getting stronger in recovery on the trip in Oct!! That gives you a great amount of time to work sober muscles, to live sober with your child, everything. It also gives you plenty of time to make a plan of action for the actual trip.

Happy for you!
Old 01-27-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The further along I get in sobriety I realize I wasted far more that I realized initially. All the missed opportunities, job advancements, useless days off where I laid around and drank etc. So glad not to be there anymore!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too wonder how much I've spent but it's hard to tell with me buying, hubs buying, going out, staying in...I know it's probably enough to make my stomach turn.

I love that you are going on holiday with your daughter! I personally love surprises but I also love to pick out my favorite clothes for a holiday...maybe you can give her just enough notice to get some things together so it's a combo surprise and notice? What an awesome trip this will be for the two of you. Congrats!!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone- I thought it was sensible to make a financial commitment as well as a personal one. Now I can’t afford wine so tough luck! And my reward will be an epic holiday away with my girl. We haven’t had a holiday for four years so it’s long over due. I think from reading all the comments that I will tell her. Her excitement will stop me doing something stupid like cancelling and reverting back to old habits. Accountability is key for me I think!
Old 01-27-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I drink it'll be between 300 and 400 quid a month down the drain - literally. Health and sanity ruined, and I'm paying absurd amounts for it. It's not like I'm loaded either.
Money isn't the main problem. I'd be quite happy to pay for something that brought health and happiness for me. But I want to keep money in my mind as a incentive.
Well done Freedom 791, It sounds funny but I'm glad you've already committed this money - it's no loss, it's money that's killing you. Have a lovely trip with your daughter.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gonna try to keep my eye on the prize!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think telling her would be the way to go.

Let the excitement build up in both of you!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Freedom,

It was a huge shock after about 6 months for me to see how much money I had saved. I have three trips planned this year, Costa Rica, Scotland, and NYC. I have one trip planned for 2019, the Great Wall of china marathon. Just after a couple years of sobriety life has opened up the world to me. Amazing gift that sobriety has given me.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

open a new savings account and deposit that amount into it each week.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Besides saving 80-100.00 a week on booze I no longer drunk shop online buying worthless junk saving me hundreds more
Old 01-27-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I also have an app that calculates my days and money saved.

Right now it says... $2,480 US! Wowza.

It may even be more.

I easily spent $10 a day on a bottle of wine, and sometimes more, and some of it even ended up down the drain, when I would wake up at 4 am, sick and sick of myself and pour out any that may be left, when I had made it into a second bottle.

Not to mention, as someone said above, all the wasted opportunity, shame and damage. Good riddance... with a raise on top of it!

Congrats to you! Keep up the good work. So many different blessings and benefits ahead for you and your family!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
Besides saving 80-100.00 a week on booze I no longer drunk shop online buying worthless junk saving me hundreds more
Erm yup! My eBay and wish order history is kind of questionable 😳
Old 01-27-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
Welcome Freedom,

It was a huge shock after about 6 months for me to see how much money I had saved. I have three trips planned this year, Costa Rica, Scotland, and NYC. I have one trip planned for 2019, the Great Wall of china marathon. Just after a couple years of sobriety life has opened up the world to me. Amazing gift that sobriety has given me.
That’s AMAZING!! Well done!