Notices

One week today

Old 01-26-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week today

I remember back when my Mom and Dad had house parties and on occasion my Dad would say "come here boy". My Dad called me "boy". I think it was New Years at the time and he gave me a small drink of Baby Duck wine. But I remember how it made me feel, like I was walking on a cloud and feeling very dizzy. Then suddenly I fell cracking my head on the bookshelf! My Mom thought I was going to start crying my eyes out by the way it must have looked. But after a moment, I began laughing! I was 6 years old and that was my first experience with alcohol.

I've had many parties while growing up over the years and had a lot of good times and some bad times. But I can tell you one thing for certain with me is that the bad FAR outweigh the good times. Memories of the good times seem to fade with time, however, I can tell you almost every detail of the bad times I've had while drinking or blacked out AND the outcomes from it. These bad times have been piling up on me over the last few years.

I think its finally time to at least try to attempt a life without booze. Looking back I can see that the common denominator of all my problems had been drinking and blacking out. It's scary to me because I'll be going into the world of the unknown. My life revolved around drinks. I drank to celebrate accomplishments, birthdays, promotions, holidays, the weekend, concerts, sporting events, all the things I enjoy doing. What will I do without booze during these times? I don't know yet.

Over the last 3 years while drunk and blacked out I've shamed family and friends via social media, argued with friends and family, passed out on the skytrain a few times, lost 3 cell phones, my wallet, I've lost four girlfriends via drunk texting then felt depressed, alone, and missed many days of work because of it. I began drinking to cope with these bad times that were piling up on me. So what brought me here is there was a period of 5 days last week where I can't tell you when I woke up, passed out, or even what day or time it was. My last drink was January 19, 2018.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by rich27; 01-26-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: wording
Old 01-26-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That post is a good reminder for all of us why we quit, thanks for posting.

I'm glad you've decided to take your life back.

Welcome to the forums rich27.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Conrgrats on making a switch. I've had a few several day stretches similar to your 5. It's a horrible spiral and you should be proud you pulled out of it and decided it was no way to carry on. It gets easier the longer you don't drink, but those stretches of the unknown only get longer and harder to get out of.
Keep up the good work.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 week, Rich!

One of the many reasons I stopped drinking was blackouts. I can sure relate to your post.

You can do this!
Old 01-26-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’ve done some terrible, terrible stuff while blacked out and hated piecing together the clues after I woke up from drinking. Congratulations on Week One Done! 🎊
Old 01-26-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're glad to have you join us Rich - welcome

D
Old 01-26-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rich, it's great to meet you. Congrats on your one week sober. We know how hard you worked to get there.

I nearly destroyed my life by drinking too. I did it for decades, always thinking it was helping me be more sociable. In the end, I could never trust myself once it was in my system. It turned me into a completely different person - a reckless one who had no control. Life is so much better when we're free of it. You're giving yourself a wonderful gift.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rich27 View Post
It's scary to me because I'll be going into the world of the unknown.
Wow! I loved reading your story. I think you actually will be leaving the world of the unknown--the blacking out, missing out, not knowing what you are saying or doing. You're entering a really great new stage, and you can do all the things you enjoyed doing with a clear head.

Congrats on one week
Old 01-26-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting, rich.

We all need to remember (and remind each other)

why we choose sobriety.

From what you posted, what you are doing is very brave and necessary.

How are you feeling?
Old 01-26-2018, 08:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Rich and Congrats on a week. I’m right there with you at 8 days. Keep going!
Old 01-26-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Rich, it's great to meet you. Congrats on your one week sober. We know how hard you worked to get there.

I nearly destroyed my life by drinking too. I did it for decades, always thinking it was helping me be more sociable. In the end, I could never trust myself once it was in my system. It turned me into a completely different person - a reckless one who had no control. Life is so much better when we're free of it. You're giving yourself a wonderful gift.
Thanks for your inspirational words
Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Wow! I loved reading your story. I think you actually will be leaving the world of the unknown--the blacking out, missing out, not knowing what you are saying or doing. You're entering a really great new stage, and you can do all the things you enjoyed doing with a clear head.

Congrats on one week
Going into the world of the unknown meant I wouldnt know what to do after deciding alcohol will no longer be an option as part of almost all aspects of my life. This will be new to me. Im looking forward to it.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Komplex View Post
Welcome Rich and Congrats on a week. I’m right there with you at 8 days. Keep going!
Lets keep it going. One day at a time.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Thanks for posting, rich.

We all need to remember (and remind each other)

why we choose sobriety.

From what you posted, what you are doing is very brave and necessary.

How are you feeling?
Im beginning to miss my gf who broke up with me last weekend. I know i have to focus on myself right now and if we're meant to be then itll be. Its so difficult not wanting to drink to ease the lonliness im feeling.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you everyone for your kind and inspirational words. Its a tough go and its definately a whole new world for me, a whole new lifestyle. Ill be coming here daily and looking to all the amazing stories of encouragement. Lets do this one day at a time!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on a week! A have 2 days and change now. If your serious about letting go of alcohol permanently (and this from a repeat "day one-er," avoid at all costs situations that you can't imagine going to without drinking. I know I won't be going to my brother-in-laws 40th in 6 weeks, but I'm not sure if it's ok to go to my Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary in a month. I just know that right now my brain is too weak, and the urge to drink to strong. I need "hedges."

Originally Posted by rich27 View Post
I remember back when my Mom and Dad had house parties and on occasion my Dad would say "come here boy". My Dad called me "boy". I think it was New Years at the time and he gave me a small drink of Baby Duck wine. But I remember how it made me feel, like I was walking on a cloud and feeling very dizzy. Then suddenly I fell cracking my head on the bookshelf! My Mom thought I was going to start crying my eyes out by the way it must have looked. But after a moment, I began laughing! I was 6 years old and that was my first experience with alcohol.

I've had many parties while growing up over the years and had a lot of good times and some bad times. But I can tell you one thing for certain with me is that the bad FAR outweigh the good times. Memories of the good times seem to fade with time, however, I can tell you almost every detail of the bad times I've had while drinking or blacked out AND the outcomes from it. These bad times have been piling up on me over the last few years.

I think its finally time to at least try to attempt a life without booze. Looking back I can see that the common denominator of all my problems had been drinking and blacking out. It's scary to me because I'll be going into the world of the unknown. My life revolved around drinks. I drank to celebrate accomplishments, birthdays, promotions, holidays, the weekend, concerts, sporting events, all the things I enjoy doing. What will I do without booze during these times? I don't know yet.

Over the last 3 years while drunk and blacked out I've shamed family and friends via social media, argued with friends and family, passed out on the skytrain a few times, lost 3 cell phones, my wallet, I've lost four girlfriends via drunk texting then felt depressed, alone, and missed many days of work because of it. I began drinking to cope with these bad times that were piling up on me. So what brought me here is there was a period of 5 days last week where I can't tell you when I woke up, passed out, or even what day or time it was. My last drink was January 19, 2018.

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopedeferred View Post
Congrats on a week! A have 2 days and change now. If your serious about letting go of alcohol permanently (and this from a repeat "day one-er," avoid at all costs situations that you can't imagine going to without drinking. I know I won't be going to my brother-in-laws 40th in 6 weeks, but I'm not sure if it's ok to go to my Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary in a month. I just know that right now my brain is too weak, and the urge to drink to strong. I need "hedges."
Noted. So far its been work and nightly meetings and I look forward to hearing the stories every night. Ill have to stay away from my drinking friends for awhile. Thanks again for the motivation.