Notices

First battle with AV

Old 01-26-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First battle with AV

Day 5!
I can't believe I can even write that with honesty. Five days ago I wouldn't believe it was true.

I've had withdraw symptoms, but I've managed pretty well. However, I was just about to go out the door to work/pick up my kids and AV is telling me, "a buzz would be nice. Just a buzz. You've done so good - 2 nips would be ok"
I know it's just AV, and I keep telling myself that, but the closer I get to leaving, the louder it is, and it doesn't seem to run out of excuses.

I thought writing it out might help.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are right! I'm sure that it did help a little at least. Thank you for posting! Early recovery is no cakewalk but it is so worth it once you get a little more time built up! Stay close to SR! Post or read, whatever it takes. Your sobriety needs to be the most important thing in your life because it is! Best wishes for you on your journey! Have a great sober day!
Old 01-26-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You don't fight the AV. You recognize it for what it is and move on with your day. You don't drink. State it aloud if you must. Tell your AV, "Sorry, I don't drink anymore."

Stay strong.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's great you recognized the lie of the thought.

I've found it helps if I note the time and the circumstance. Often you'll start to see a pattern. Then I actually time it. It's amazing how fleeting the craving really is. It passes. You know this is the physical addiction talking, trying to get you to feed it. Recognize that and ride your way through it. You will get to the other side faster than you imagine. Keep doing it, and it WILL ease. In fact, the only way it will ease is to go through this discomfort. It's part of it, but it will pass!

If you find it happens at regular times, try to do something to distract yourself at that time. Do something truly GOOD for you instead.

Keep posting and hanging in there! You are doing great.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Posting here helped. You guys are always so supportive.

I didn't drink. I waited it out and the feeling passed

Day 6, here I come!!
Old 01-26-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yay, good job!

Each time you succeed in getting through a craving, it will get easier.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you GS - yeah don't engage it or you give it a chance of winning.

I like Urge Surfing:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (urge surfing)

D
Old 01-26-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Writing and posts from here helped. A lot of people just say the more you fight it and don’t give in the easier and quieter it gets. I take a lot of wisdom from others and so far they have been right!
Old 01-27-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I picture my A/V as a dementor from Harry Potter circling me whispering in my ear. At this point it doesn't come around much, and only for a fleeting second because I pay it no mind. It likes attention and takes off when it doesn't get any. AVs are total narcissists!

You are doing great Girl!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ignore that AV! Good for you.

I have been thinking of doing an exercise I first learned in eating disorder treatment where you give your addiction a persona and even a name to help you picture them as a "bad friend" (or as Penny Lane says above a kind of monster). I'm going to do it again for AV to help me think about the temptation in more concrete terms. I think my AV is like a mean cool girl. She's a bad influence on me, a "frenemy."
Old 01-27-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Ignore that AV! Good for you.

I have been thinking of doing an exercise I first learned in eating disorder treatment where you give your addiction a persona and even a name to help you picture them as a "bad friend" (or as Penny Lane says above a kind of monster). I'm going to do it again for AV to help me think about the temptation in more concrete terms. I think my AV is like a mean cool girl. She's a bad influence on me, a "frenemy."
I need to do this. I have an ED too, and I've been trying to find a therapist with no success.
No matter. I drank today. :/
Tomorrow I start over.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Look at all the suggestions here to bolster your plan GS

D