Notices

Hi Newbie here.. cant believe Im here..

Old 01-25-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Newbie here.. cant believe Im here..

Hi I hope this is the right place to post and say Hi .. being a newbie I am a little amazed that I am actually here.. and signed up.

I think I'm in denial. But I came across a post from another member on here - whilst doing a Google search for 'is a bottle of wine a night - a problem?'.

I have been trying to lose weight, joined Slimming World as I am about three stone overweight. Needless to say.. Im not following the diet. I use it to get the weigh in.. I eat healthy, have started to exercise - and lost over 5 pounds now in three weeks.
But I keep a dark nasty secret.. i drink a bottle of red a night.

I have had a whole load of issues in my personal life.. too many to list. I have a lovely family, lovely husband, but he too drinks only 4 cans of beer an evening - is this bad too?
Its a way of unwinding, and a release on the stress of how our lives are at the moment.
He gets upset if I say I feel as if I drink too much. He doesnt see any harm in what Im doing.. but I feel rotten in the mornings. Exercise is hard when I feel bad, and some days I miss not being able to do it.
I want to quit. Im sat here now with a big pint of diet bitter lemon - when usually I would be on my third glass of wine by now. A comment by my teenage daughter hit me.. she said that i 'might as well smoke (i dont - never have) as thats an addiction like the wine. A fag a day has to be less harmfull than all the wine you drink mummy?
Feel rotten, feel like a bad parent and confused right now - worried about having the strength not to open the wine bottle now- that hubby has gone out a bought me this eve.
Ive recently had bloods done.. (did not tell the Dr about the wine) They came back fine apart from very low Vitamin D - so Im hoping my liver is ok?
Thank you for reading my sorry tale.. I hope ive made a first positive step in making a change - I dont want the wine to take over my life like it is x
Old 01-25-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Marshygirl and welcome! I’m glad you’re here!
Old 01-25-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I am McLovin'

I think that's wonderful you took the initiative to come here. It's certainly worthwhile nipping a problem behavior in the bud early rather than letting it grow into a bigger problem.

Have you tried to quit? For me, I was in a similar position as you long ago. I found that once I identified I had a problem and tried to quit, I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried. That's when I realized my problem behavior was an addiction.

If you find you're having difficulty stopping on your own, this is a good place to be :-) Welcome!
Old 01-25-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done for posting and trying to get help.
I can only tell you my experience....... I drank a bottle of wine and sometimes a bottle and a half of wine 4-5 times a week. Sometimes less, sometimes more. A year ago and a half ago or so I stopped abruptly (not intending to quit) and I experienced extreme anxiety and insomnia. I didn't realise I was beginning to experience withdrawal symptoms. Something had changed in my body's response to alcohol. From that time on drinking became more and more unpleasant.....the hangovers became withdrawal. When I started to struggle to stop, because I was afraid of withdrawal, I knew I was already in the grip of addiction. I am still struggling to stay sober but believe me the drinking has become so toxic to me mentally and physically. My liver results are fine but it has all but broken me as a person. So......all I am saying is that this thing can spiral out of control quickly. Its not just about amounts because the body changes over time with heavy drinking.....and before you realise, you can physically dependent. I didn't lose my job, or my family but it really has almost taken me down.
Read as many posts on SR as you can. There is so much support here if you want to make a change.
Best wishes.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I do know from experience how hard it is to lose weight while drinking, especially wine as it has a lot of sugar and carbs.
I think if you are wanting to stop drinking to better your health, heck why not? See how you feel after 30 days! You may want to continue on that path.
I can tell you the benefits of not drinking
weight loss
hangover/groggy free the next morning
Higher energy to complete the workouts

When I drank wine, I drank minimum 2 bottles a night sometimes 3 or 4. YIKES that is me alcoholically drinking. While I am not comparing for you to make a decision of "WOW I didn't drink that much, I am not an alcoholic." That is for you to decide.

You will get a lot of support here and I wish you the best!

Blessings,
DC
Old 01-25-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I was one of those bottle of wine a night drinkers. Working mum to 2 young kids, busy life etc, all those great excuses to keep drinking. I used to manage the odd dry month but then last year I tried dry January but couldn't do it, addiction had taken hold.

I kept drinking for a few months before deciding enough was enough & admitted my drinking to my GP. I was referred to addiction counselling and did an anxiety therapy course - these helped me quit, I'm at 4 months now.

There is no question that many people drank/drink more than I did but there is also no question that I had a drink problem. It was only going to go one way from there.

It sounds like you've come to the same conclusion about your drinking. How about going back to the doctor to be honest?

X
Old 01-25-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It's very hard for others to understand alcoholism, so don't worry about what your husband thinks about your stopping drinking. You know what you need to do and I'm glad you decided to post here for support for yourself. It sounds like you're trying to take care of yourself and be a good example for your child.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Marshy! I'm so glad you're taking control of your life. We're here to encourage & support you.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi M, yes this is the right place to say hi, and we are so glad you joined in. Welcome!

Your story sounds very familiar, and I understand exactly how you are feeling. I encourage you to read around here and I know you will recognize similar patterns in others' stories. It's remarkable how universal the problems and the excuses we give ourselves are. Posting and reading here, and gaining from the shared wisdom of the fine people here, is what made me finally turn the corner to a better life.

I too was a bottle of wine a night.. There is no way this is sustainable for a healthy body, mind and life, long term, for you or your family.

(I too had a vitamin D deficiency at some point. I did not tell my doctor about my drinking, but I later learned that heavy drinking can be a cause. Alcohol truly is a poison..)

Here's my story if you'd like to read a bit more about it.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rate-stop.html (Wine drinking woman, desperate to stop)

All the best to you and look forward to hearing more from you!
Old 01-25-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello... I too found this site via googling my drinking habit. I got in a 'cut back/not drinking' cycle for a couple of years and then all hell broke loose! It does progress and bad things can/do happen in all facets of your life. At least that's where I 'went' with it.. As for the denial..Like mentioned..Completely stop drinking for 3mo and see where you're at. If you can't make it there's help. If you can make it, I think you'll realize it's just not worth it anymore. Welcome!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just gobsmacked at the kindness!

Only a few hours after posting and logging back in.. I see all the wonderful replies!! I’m utterly grateful and feel very welcomed.. thank you! I didn’t open the wine hubby bought this eve... feel proud of that but I’m led in bed tho unable to sleep. First night in months without wine and heart is all over the place too :-( I’m going to read more posts on here try to stay focused. I really do feel I can make this but it’s going to be hard. Hubby won’t quit said he won’t and has already said about summer coming and having a beer on our days off in the sun. Not sure what plan to take and worrying about how I refocus my life with zero alcohol in it xx
Old 01-25-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, marshy girl. Very glad you found us.

Follow your heart and your sense of self; you feel you should stop drinking, you are in all likelihood correct.

Choosing a sober life was, by far, one of the best choices of my life.

Again, welcome. So glad that you are here.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marshygirl View Post
Only a few hours after posting and logging back in.. I see all the wonderful replies!! I’m utterly grateful and feel very welcomed.. thank you! I didn’t open the wine hubby bought this eve... feel proud of that but I’m led in bed tho unable to sleep. First night in months without wine and heart is all over the place too :-( I’m going to read more posts on here try to stay focused. I really do feel I can make this but it’s going to be hard. Hubby won’t quit said he won’t and has already said about summer coming and having a beer on our days off in the sun. Not sure what plan to take and worrying about how I refocus my life with zero alcohol in it xx
Hey..that's his choice/life to do as he pleases. Quitting drinking is a very personal thing. You can't quit for others or expect others to quit for you. We are all our own people and that whole 'free will' thing..ya know? I guarantee your daughter will see,notice and be thankful for the change in you!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Vitamin D

Do not take a vitamin D deficiency lightly. Look up how important it is and all that can happen if it's low. It's a serious issue.

I was struggling with joint pain and muscle weakness a year ago. Turned out to be vitamin d deficiency. My level was 17. I was put of a prescription. After 3 months my level was a 9 (because of drinking and not telling doc how much I was drinking). Fast forward 7 months on prescription, and 30 mins daily sun, and I'm still deficient because of alcohol. Every morning I wake up, I can barely walk due to pain in my bones, joints, and muscles. My bones are softening and I'm looking at osteoporosis or worse... I'm 32.

Take your health seriously before it is too late. Best of luck.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=GirlScreaming;6760779]Do not take a vitamin D deficiency lightly. Look up how important it is and all that can happen if it's low. It's a serious issue.

I was struggling with joint pain and muscle weakness a year ago. Turned out to be vitamin d deficiency. My level was 17. I was put of a prescription. After 3 months my level was a 9 (because of drinking and not telling doc how much I was drinking). Fast forward 7 months on prescription, and 30 mins daily sun, and I'm still deficient because of alcohol. Every morning I wake up, I can barely walk due to pain in my bones, joints, and muscles. My bones are softening and I'm looking at osteoporosis or worse... I'm 32.

Take your health seriously before it is too late. Best of luck.[/QUOTE

This is scary thank you so much for sharing.. I am on prescription now for it as my levels were 15 .. doctor doesn’t know about the wine. Your story has hit home more than you know. I feel I’ve jepordized my health and now I’m worrying about not telling the truth at the doctors.. feel stupid :-(
Old 01-25-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is scary thank you so much for sharing.. I am on prescription now for it as my levels were 15 .. doctor doesn’t know about the wine. Your story has hit home more than you know. I feel I’ve jepordized my health and now I’m worrying about not telling the truth at the doctors.. feel stupid :-([/QUOTE]

Don't feel stupid! It took me a long time and a lot of suffering, but I finally made an appointment today and told my doctor the truth. It was so freeing, and now I have hope. My doctor was very supportive, and now that they know the cause, they gave me a proper treatment plan.

You can get sober, and you can win your health back
Old 01-25-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In most cases your D level can be raised by supplements.... obviously (like most things in life) it works best when one is not drinking or drugging.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MarshyGirl

D
Old 01-25-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder folks personal experience only - no recommendations for meds, treatments etc.

Always nest to consult your doctor or at least your pharmacist before starting supplements, especially if you're on other meds or have another health issue.

Dee
SR
Old 01-25-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Marshygirl.

I offer you support. I hope you feel more healthy I remember I gave up my bottle of wine (I did have some sober time) I was able to lose alot of weight had so much more energy . I also find it easier to eat healthy when you don't feel sluggish from the alcohol. That was about 10 years ago. When I first realized I had to stop. This has progressed for me fast. Drinking alot more I am finding myself skipping meals from lack of appetite . Gained the weight back. I had lost.