Notices

Interesting visit with my doctor

Old 01-25-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuckleman45 View Post
. Doctors and I don’t get along at the best of times.
thats prolly one sided though.more you dont get along with doctors. the doctors go on through their day not even thinking about ya.

the rat bastaads.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ya
Old 01-25-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Tom

My doctor(s) have caused me to make really bad decisions in the past. IME, they exist to prescribe drugs and procedures. Did you specifically ask for help with the alcoholism?

They aren't any help whatsoever for weight loss either. My doctor never mentioned my weight in my 40s when I was w a y overweight. I think they are people who don't want to offend/lose customers/get complaints, too. You know someone would have a fit if that same doctor told him he was an alcoholic.

I have learned I have to be my own advocate. A pill for everything that I complain about? Uh, no thanks. But, that is what they are trained to do so what do I expect?

Well, they are practicing medicine. Practicing. Medicine.

I agree with the others in this thread though. Let it go. Doctors aren't gods, they are just shuffling along like we are.

This resentment is what I would focus on before it becomes a drink.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Pills prescribed by a doctor almost killed me 2 years ago. He had me on so many that my liver failed. Spent a week in the hospital and over a month off of work. So needless to say I rarely even take a Tylenol or Advil.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Pills prescribed by a doctor almost killed me 2 years ago. He had me on so many that my liver failed. Spent a week in the hospital and over a month off of work. So needless to say I rarely even take a Tylenol or Advil.
NSAIDS are notoriously bad for the liver and there are nothing but warnings about drinking while using them. Esp Tylenol. That goes for a lot of Rx drugs too. Don't know about you but I drank anyway - ignoring the labels. Didn't apply to me.

Of course alcohol had nothing to do with your liver failing...did the doc know how much you drank?
Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
nez

I go to doctors to get advice on medical issues. I go to alcoholics in recovery to get advice on alcohol issues. I don't particularly listen to either group about issues with my Ford truck.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So I figured I should see my Doctor. I feel fine but just wanted to talk about some issues I'm experiencing. BP is good, bloodwork is good, all tests are good. So? Apparently I need to lose a bunch of weight. 50lbs. at least. My drinking? I was honest. Used to be waaaaaaaayyyyy too much. Now very very little. Good days bad days. Some are really bad, but I'm trying. He doesn't think I'm an alcoholic, just a guy with a bad habit. Well that doesn't sit right with me. I think I am one. Now I'm pissed off. angry as all hell.
If YOU think you're an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic. If you're unhappy with his opinion, seek out a different doctor that you like better.
There is no use for anger. Let it go.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Some are better than others.

Mine said she wouldnt continue to treat me until i saw a referral to a psychiatrist at a dual diagnosis clinic (mental health and substance abuse)
The psych said that inpatient rehab with a medical detox was the necessary course of treatment.

Ive had doctors warn me about my weight and suggest an exercise and diet program. I have also been successfully medicated for a variety of conditions. I think the "all doctors are incompetent and dont have your best interests at heart" is innaccurate.

If you disagree with your doctor about his opinion as to your drinking being a problem, or not, treat the alcoholism anyway or see another doctor. Did you voice your disagreement or concerns with them?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Tom

My doctor(s) have caused me to make really bad decisions in the past. IME, they exist to prescribe drugs and procedures. Did you specifically ask for help with the alcoholism?
. . .

I have learned I have to be my own advocate. A pill for everything that I complain about? Uh, no thanks. But, that is what they are trained to do so what do I expect?

Well, they are practicing medicine. Practicing. Medicine.

I agree with the others in this thread though. Let it go. Doctors aren't gods, they are just shuffling along like we are.

This resentment is what I would focus on before it becomes a drink.
Agree with everything here.

Yup. First gastro-enterologist I saw did all the GI tests (I later found out almost all) and after 2 months pronounced that my gastrointestinal problems were all in my head.

Got a second opinion, 2nd doc redid most of those procedures, plus a couple extra, and low & behold - Crohn's Disease.

Learned from that experience I have to advocate for myself. Only one in that exam room who will do it is me.

Go see a doctor who will meet you where you are - "I'm an alcoholic and I need help."

Just don't use it as an excuse to throw your hands up, give in, get mad at the medical profession, and continue down this path of destruction and death.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ya. I’m an alcoholic as well. I know it, my wife and kids know it. And to have a dr say no kinda bugged me. Maybe it’s just me. Doctors and I don’t get along at the best of times.
Sounds like you'd be a lot better off focusing your energy on your alcoholism and quitting then. Holding grudges against your doctor for something he said doesn't really help you or your wife or kids, right?