Notices

Day 4 Begins ...Encouragement Kindy Requested!

Old 01-24-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 Begins ...Encouragement Kindy Requested!

I am on hour 1 of Day 4 (yes I am counting hours!) with a looming day off and ...urge surfing now...huge list of to dos to help me stay focused but... I’m aware of “one glass won’t hurt” creeping in my mind for tonight. I know it’s my responsibility and I don’t want to break this streak now but I’m struggling a little in this moment. Thank you for any encouragement you can provide! You all are a big part of my accountability right now, believe it or not! Thank you 🙏
Old 01-24-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 4 and hour 1. just know that one glass WILL hurt! Don't let your AV start talking to you.... others will join in here. You can do this... hang in there
Old 01-24-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

You can do this, dizzybee

Time blocking helped me in the early days, so not only did I have a to do list to occupy my time, I also scheduled the hours in the day, so as not to get distracted.

And SR! Lots of time on SR reading threads and stickies and jotting down notes on things that really resonated. Maybe you could start a journal or even just a notebook with SR gold.

You got this
Old 01-24-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both! My hour plans for tonight got zapped so it’s a moment of weakness. Gotta ride this through.

I like the idea of journaling helpful stuff from SR. Ive been taking it all in everyday throughout the day. This site is truly great!!
Old 01-24-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stay strong, dizzybee.

Take a long, warm bath; take a long walk; read a book; phone a friend; treat yourself to some ice cream; make pot of chili.

Waking up tomorrow hangover-free will feel so amazing .
Old 01-24-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How are you doing dizzybee? I’m a day 4 person, too. I have my sleepy time tea and white chocolate covered pretzels while reading the newcomers posts. What is helping to distract you today? We can do this!
Old 01-24-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 4 that's huge! What worked for me early on is to play the tape forward. Meaning if you were to pick up again where would you be in a day or maybe a week? One other thing that helped me was to plan out my day. Make plans, call another drunk, talk to your sponsor or maybe go to a meeting.
Good Luck! We're all here for you.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me urge surfing has been key. And also just deciding I can go to bed as early as I want. You got this!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there DizzyBee. I’m only on day six and I say to myself (and sometimes out loud) “minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day” repeat repeat repeat. It’s silly but it brings me comfort. I know I can get through just one more minute. I just have to keep doing that!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DizzyBee - for me, learning that it's the first drink that does the damage and not the last one, has been crucial.

As they say in AA - it's the engine that hits you, not the caboose...

Don't take that first drink and your recovery is protected

D
Old 01-25-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! After some reflection I realize I was hungry and tired, which had me feeling cranky, which had me feeling strongly like I wanted to drink. I made dinner (albeit not in my best form and little huffy about it) and then went to bed super early - just as Professor D said. I also have been reading books about addiction in addition to SR which helps me feel like I've got somebody on my side.

24violets how are you today?
Old 01-25-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Glad you made it thru the night and onto Day 5! That is great! You remembered H.A.L.T, too! The AV can be very tricky when you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired. Fight back with satisfying your real needs.
Also, when you journal don't forget to "play the tape forward" and recall what will happen when you start to drink again from your past experiences. Be descriptive. The picture you "paint" will not be a pretty one. It should encourage you to remain on your sober path. Stay smart and stay strong! Have a great day!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good Job!

I was like you last night. I thought about it...not really craving...just thoughts. I almost caved but instead turned on the TV & played some online Candy Crush (lol). I also thought about the intense itching I have from alcohol withdrawal & how my body is saying "enough is enough".
Old 01-25-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

Hang in there Dizzybee. Those first few days are challenging (to say the least). I know this because I've had several first few days. I don't want to go through them again and I'm sure you don't either. I find myself drinking Sleepytime or Chamomile tea during the day to relax me. It works. You can do this!
Old 01-25-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the ongoing encouragement!!
Old 01-25-2018, 12:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I, too am on Day 4. Made it home from work with no beer.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pauleyp View Post
I, too am on Day 4. Made it home from work with no beer.
Woohoo!!!! Congratulations on making it another day! Hour by hour, you got this! We are in this together!
Old 01-25-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on getting through Day 4!