Notices

Slip sliding away

Old 01-24-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Slip sliding away

I've been sober since Jan 1 2017. Frankly it has been a rather pleasant retreat from alcohol ....until now. No clue why but remaining sober after all this time is becoming very difficult. I could sense a change a couple months back which is why I joined SR. How can this be? Initially quitting was "easy", i.e., no detox or sickness... now? The call to liquor is becoming louder and louder.

WTH is going on??
Old 01-24-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
under new management

1 year is fantastic, FallingStars

I have to run but I just wanted to ask what are you doing to work your recovery?

(sorry, if you have already said, but I have to post and run)
Old 01-24-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not doing very much to be honest...I joined SR, but that is about it. I found quitting to be rather easy...staying quit not so much. I just cannot understand why after all this time my AV is raising it's ugly head
Old 01-24-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The urge to drink can come up at any time, so we must be prepared. My program for recovery involved seeing an addiction counselor once a week for several years, and daily visits to this site.

I hope you can find, or formulate, a plan to help you maintain your sobriety.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Fall,

I know what you mean.

I quit twice for a year and then decided I shoud/could have a little bit for some analytical reasons.

I would probably have fully relapsed if not for sr.

I came here and posted about my 2 slips...got some tuff feedback and support and stayed clean now for nearly 5 more months.

Coming here keeps the reasons I quit fresh. Reading about the anxiety and obsessions folks deal with after the drunk, the hell of detox and withdrawals, the life destroying results of addiction in general...help keep me clean.

I usually crave about 5% of my waking hours anymore. Even during my high crave window...2 pm to 6 pm...I only crave for a minute here and there.

I was so damaged in the end. I am just now beginning to enjoy much of my life experiences w out booze.

I am an addict for life.

I never want booze in my body again. I don't call myself sober anymore. I say I am a non drinker. I tell folks I used to drink, but I gave it up.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by FallingStars View Post
The call to liquor is becoming louder and louder.
And what is it saying? The answer to your difficulty may lay in what you are telling yourself about alcohol and drinking.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we need to maintain our recovery like we maintain an engine, or maintain our home..if we get slack things are going to break.
I'm not doing very much to be honest...I joined SR, but that is about it. I found quitting to be rather easy...staying quit not so much. I just cannot understand why after all this time my AV is raising it's ugly head
That not doing very much might be why the 'voice' is gettign louder?

They say alcoholism is a disease of forgetting - we forget how bad it was and how what we went through to quit.

You have 102 posts to help remind you why you should stay sober

Maybe do some reading of those old posts?

D
Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
under new management

I spend a lot of time here at SR, perusing the threads, posting and reading the stickies. I kind of consider it my virtual group therapy

I try to apply to myself what I read here and consequently have learned an astonishing amount about myself.

There is a ton of gold to be mined at SR