Notices

New to this site; First day quitting

Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New to this site; First day quitting

Hello,
I have been a heavy cannabis user for ten years. I started at 14, I'm now 24. Honestly was only able to get myself to stop once throughout this roller coaster ride. When I quit that one and only time, at first I thought I was going to die without it. I was anxious, literally didn't know what to do with myself. Activities that I would have loved stoned, turned out to not be as amusing sober. As time went on, I became myself again tho. I felt clear headed, I felt more positive and the world wasn't so scary. I was able to remain sober for nine months until one day I said, "ahh it's just one hit, i'll probably be blasted for hours from it too." That one hit got me back into my habit slowly but surely. That was all it took, even though immediately after relapsing I knew I should stop asap. I started off smoking once a day after work (a tiny amount). Then found myself picking up again, and again until I was back where I left off smoking three-five times a day.

Two years have passed since the first time I've tried quitting and guess what, I desperately still want to quit. I know I'm not living up to my potential, I know my social life has deteriorated and I purposely isolate myself to get high, I know that I am unhappy and most of all I know that I need to stop. If only knowing was all it took... I've never gone to a recovery program because I feel this is something I should be able to conquer and move on from on my own. Clearly that has not been working, so I decided to join this. I think I just need to let it all out, conversate with people who have and are going through the same thing. I feel trapped, I have every reason in the world to stop and today I finally threw away all paraphernalia. It's been only 8 hours since my last hit and the cravings have kicked in. I did a workout to try and distract myself, but during and still now I can't stop thinking about it. I'm obsessing and unable to focus on the tasks before me.

Does anyone have helpful suggestions, constructive criticism, quotes, stories....seriously anything would help at this point.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. We have a marijuana forum about midway down the page. Might have insight you'd find valuable.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/
Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi donebeingthis

I identify with your post a lot - I was a daily pot smoker for 30 years, and making a permanent break was hard.

I had to change a lot of things in my life, about fun and who I had that fun with, but I'm not sorry I did that. I made new friends and recalibrated my ideas about fun, stress relief and creativity.

I haven't smoked in over ten years now and life is great

welcome aboard - may see you down in the pot sub forum too

D
Old 01-23-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have found a great place here, and congratulations on your first day!

Tips: maybe take more naps even if you don't fall asleep. Remember to eat well. Get out and get some sun. Accept that you will have to ride out some uncomfortable feelings -- but they won't last forever. This is just a transitional period. You can handle it. Maybe find some kind of calming mantra and let your mind rest on that ...
Old 01-23-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hang in there man.

drink some green tea, water. meditate. anything to stay calm and get your mind off it.

come back in the chat whenever!

you can do this.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That was reassuring to read, thank you. I'm hoping I start to find myself again, because right now I don't even know what I like doing sober.