Notices

Advice to pull out of a binge?

Old 01-24-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The AA big book explains that once we start drinking we become subject to the phenomenon of craving, a craving for more that is so powerful it is beyond our mental ability to overcome it. That seems to be my experience. When folks have tried to stop me mid binge with statements like stop now or no job, or stop now or I'm leaving, always resulted in job loss and being left. The booze came first last and always.

So there were primarily two ways I got off a binge. Either I got to a point where I was too sick to continue, or I got locked up. Running out of money was also a factor sometimes.

When I sobered up I was one of the 99% who didn't require a medical detox. My first day sober was a sunday. I called AA, talked to someone one to one, went to a meeting that night, and thereafter had all the moral support I could wish for.

But there are folks that need a definite medical detox, just to get a break and get past the first five or so days where the phenomenon of craving is still active. It takes about that time to get the alcohol out of the system, and it is a lot easier to take some action with a clear head.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Could you give us an update whether you are detoxing today or still drinking or what? Not judging here - just want to know how you are holding up.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Vodka was my poison at the end as well. For me it had to be rehab, staying close to my support network and my doctor.

I also took anxiety meds and then found out how well they mixed with liquor

Not to say that rehab is your best alternative; for me there was simply no other choice. I was starting to go on benders for days at a time and was in a death spiral. I'm not sure where you are but there's alternatives--which beats the alternative

Going to a recovery group meeting is something you can do right now. Getting to a doctor something that you should do ASAP. If you've experienced shakes/tremors, then sooner than that. There's people that care and can help guide you along with the medical expertise.

Also, keep coming back to SR and keep us posted..

T.