Notices

hello AV I’ve been expecting you

Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello AV I’ve been expecting you

Day 7,all going well until I clean out my fridge and in the back found an unfinished bottle of wine with about a glass left in it. It went down the sink, but not without the AV voice coming through so loud and clear, ‘one glass won’t hurt’, ‘nobody needs to know’, ‘c’mon you know how good it tastes’.

Sitting here I don’t feel like I won any kind of battle, I still have strong cravings. I know it will pass, but I have tears in my eyes just typing this. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 days and your first battle with the dreaded AV. Early sobriety it just takes wanting to stop more than wanting to go back. Have plans and contingency plans. Good luck
Old 01-22-2018, 11:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi scotty - everyone has thoughts of drinking or cravings initially. Early recovery isn't about never having those feelings - it's about having the feelings and staying sober anyway

things do get easier tho I promise
In the mean time there are some great tips here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-23-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by scottynz View Post
Sitting here I don’t feel like I won any kind of battle, I still have strong cravings.
I think you've unknowingly won more than you know. The ultimate victory isn't permanently silencing your AV. The ultimate victory is experiencing 100% of your emotions without letting them dictate your actions.

Pema Chodron says nothing ever goes away until it has taught us everything we need to know.

You needed to know you could pour it down the sink.

Bravo You!!!
Old 01-23-2018, 02:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you definitely won a battle! You heard the voice, identified it as different from you, and changed your behavior!
Old 01-23-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

Good for you Scotty nz. I also agree that you have won a significant battle this time with your AV. You were strong and now know that you have it in you to continue - no matter what it takes.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's all about the moment between stimulus and response, the power in is that moment. The AV never really goes away, but it's all about one's response to IT. When I have those thoughts, all I do is acknowledge they are there, but never, ever act on them.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scottynz View Post
Day 7,all going well until I clean out my fridge and in the back found an unfinished bottle of wine with about a glass left in it. It went down the sink, but not without the AV voice coming through so loud and clear, ‘one glass won’t hurt’, ‘nobody needs to know’, ‘c’mon you know how good it tastes’.

Sitting here I don’t feel like I won any kind of battle, I still have strong cravings. I know it will pass, but I have tears in my eyes just typing this. Thanks for listening.
Awesome job Scott!!
You did win a battle! You're fighting a war. Many battles to come, but I know you can win each one. Keep fighting.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

YOU would know and YOU are the only one that matters.

You are flexing those sober muscles!!! Good job!

I’m so glad that you came here and posted to talk it out. I find that that really helps me.

Hope to see you around.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is SUCH an encouraging post. I too am waiting for the dreaded cravings. Good to hear how successful you were fighting through the crave.