Notices

New to this site

Old 01-22-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this site

I didn't drink today. I've been drinking anywhere from a 12 pack to an 18 pack a day almost every day for several years. I've quit before. But usually I get to feeling really good after a few days and go right back to it. It's affected my marriage and I don't want to get divorced. Just turned 50 years old. I think I'm a highly functioning alcoholic but I'm sure I'm kidding myself. Hopefully getting some of this off my chest will help.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome pauleyp

becoming part of this community kept me sober.

Thats a considerable amount of alcohol per day - if you start feeling unwell or concerned, do consider seeing your Dr.

D
Old 01-22-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee. Fortunately my blood work says my liver is still functioning normally. I do have Type II Diabetes, however. I got all my blood work back to normal levels in just a few months. This was six years ago. I'm hopeful that I can do it again.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! I’m a new (returning new) user to SR. I think this place is wonderful and I look forward to seeing you around. We can change our directions if we choose! Let’s choose to!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! SR is a great place to work on your sobriety!!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've come to a great place for support.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome PauleyP!!! Takes guts to post on here first time eh? So use that bravery to keep on going. I think you said you had blood work done a few years back and it was normal. Time for some more test tubes and pee in the cup....ugh. But it must be done. The Dr. can help you during acute withdrawal if you are honest about quantity and time span. If you are planning to go it alone, that is. As you can tell this is the best forum for Recovery on the web and I did my research! Got questions, concerns, need advice, anything? Firstly, let's get you detoxed. Dr. will tell you what YOU need as we are individuals and each case has even the most subtlest difference. We got members with experience in nutrition, physical activity, mindfulness, hell everything we need to begin our journey. Godspeed and keep posting. There are NO dumb questions. Ask Ask.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Only got two hours of sleep last night and work was miserable. However, I made it home sober for day #2.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on Day 2. Hope you get some sleep soon.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Pauley - It's so good to have you with us. I'm glad you've made the decision to get free.

Congrats on your sober time. The early days are very uncomfortable. We've been anesthetizing ourselves for so long - it's like learning to live in a whole new way. Each day you get a bit stronger, a bit more hopeful. Be proud of yourself for taking action.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Went to bed at 5:25pm. Tossed and turned and slept a little until 7:30. Now I'm starving. Hope I can go back to bed after I stuff myself with food instead of beer.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I think I'm a highly functioning alcoholic but I'm sure I'm kidding myself.

Yes, you are.

I thought I was a high functioning alcoholic for a long time. Then the xxx hit the fan, and I realized that my concept of being high functioning, was just another form of denial.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, Zebra. You're definitely right.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi pauleyp. I had the same problem for the longest time — sober up, feel better, go back to it. One day I allowed myself to just stop at the feeling better part. It wasn't easy, but I'm worth it, and you're worth it.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

RW, my father's initials. He was an alcoholic and died in his early sixties. He never stopped drinking. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wednesdays are a tough day. I have to be at work at 5am and have a meeting from 2:30-3:30. After fighting traffic, I stop about halfway home (150 mile round trip) to get dinner at a grocery store. I always get beer and drink 2 or 3 the rest of the way home. I had to go down the beer aisle twice because I couldn't find something.

I made it home sober for day 3. What got me out of that store without buying beer was that I thought I'd probably be disappointed with myself tomorrow for not being able to post here that I was sober for 3 days. It has been roughly a year since the last time I didn't drink for 3 days straight.

Congrats to me!

Thank you everyone for the wonderful support so far.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I'm returning to this site after being away. Take care

Jenny
Originally Posted by pauleyp View Post
I didn't drink today. I've been drinking anywhere from a 12 pack to an 18 pack a day almost every day for several years. I've quit before. But usually I get to feeling really good after a few days and go right back to it. It's affected my marriage and I don't want to get divorced. Just turned 50 years old. I think I'm a highly functioning alcoholic but I'm sure I'm kidding myself. Hopefully getting some of this off my chest will help.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, paulyp; congrats on surviving the beer aisle.

It will feel especially good to wake up to Day 4 hangover-free.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome!! Everyone here is great!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work. Your story resonates with me totally (age, family situation, thinking I was *functional* as an alcoholic) and I'm five months in. It can be done and you've hooked up with a great community of people who get it.

Welcome.