Notices

Feeling hopeless

Old 01-22-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlScreaming View Post
. I am worried about my insurance going up if it's reported that I'm an alcoholic. I don't know if there is a way around that.
I forgot to mention - this is one of my big fears as well. Any of you more omg term folks have input on this?

Thanks everyone for a great thread. I keep checking this forum and it’s giving me something to hold onto.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

double post.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome caleigh J and welcome back Dizzy. Looks like all 3 of you (with Girl Screaming) are doing well

D
Old 01-22-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Being honest about my drinking is definitely going to be the hardest. I saw a doctor last year with the intent of being honest but then froze up. I did tell him I drink often, but nowhere near the correct amount. I'm working up the courage now to be honest. I am worried about my insurance going up if it's reported that I'm an alcoholic. I don't know if there is a way around that. Higher premiums are better than the damage alcohol is causing though.

I'm on the search for a therapist as well.

Thanks for your message.
Be honest. I bring a small notebook/journal with me to all my doctor's appointments. A few days/the night before I write down what I want to discuss with my doc that day. Write it down. Discuss it. Then takes notes of what the doc says, and ask about resources for help.

What, you think you're the only one who your doc has seen who admitted to a substance abuse problem? Hell, I've seen one of my health care providers in the rooms of AA already.

Doctors see all kinds of crap brought on by poor life choices - STDs, hepatitis, obesity, and yes, drug and alcohol abuse. Through years of training and experience they will address the patient's problem directly but with compassion, emotionally detached and with no judgment.

Health insurance go up? I can't speak to your insurance plan. Some plans offer cheaper rates to non-smokers or those with a healthy BMI - who get tested for nicotine/weighed for the insurance company, so you'd know if you were on one of those. Go up for a Dx of alcohol abuse/dependence? Never heard of that yet.

I also have Crohn's disease. Talk about an expensive disease to have . . . never saw my rates change or be affected by it. Besides, you're going to him to get help to be a non-drinker, right? For about 6 months my PCP had alcoholism/ alcohol dependence/ abuse/ complications from withdrawal listed as a current health condition. Then, I saw it had changed to "resolved" and no longer a current condition.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dizzybee View Post
I forgot to mention - this is one of my big fears as well. Any of you more omg term folks have input on this?

Thanks everyone for a great thread. I keep checking this forum and it’s giving me something to hold onto.
Same response to you as to GirlScreaming.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dizzybee View Post

Either way, a higher premium now, to get the health support we need is worth it in the long run. If we don't get help, the medical bills later will be a hell-of-a lot pricier.

Make the leap Dizzy, and seek help. You deserve it.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken0331 View Post
Be honest. I bring a small notebook/journal with me to all my doctor's appointments. A few days/the night before I write down what I want to discuss with my doc that day. Write it down. Discuss it. Then takes notes of what the doc says, and ask about resources for help.

What, you think you're the only one who your doc has seen who admitted to a substance abuse problem? Hell, I've seen one of my health care providers in the rooms of AA already.

Doctors see all kinds of crap brought on by poor life choices - STDs, hepatitis, obesity, and yes, drug and alcohol abuse. Through years of training and experience they will address the patient's problem directly but with compassion, emotionally detached and with no judgment.

Health insurance go up? I can't speak to your insurance plan. Some plans offer cheaper rates to non-smokers or those with a healthy BMI - who get tested for nicotine/weighed for the insurance company, so you'd know if you were on one of those. Go up for a Dx of alcohol abuse/dependence? Never heard of that yet.

I also have Crohn's disease. Talk about an expensive disease to have . . . never saw my rates change or be affected by it. Besides, you're going to him to get help to be a non-drinker, right? For about 6 months my PCP had alcoholism/ alcohol dependence/ abuse/ complications from withdrawal listed as a current health condition. Then, I saw it had changed to "resolved" and no longer a current condition.
I like the idea of bringing a notebook. I've done that before with PCP, but it sounds like it will be extra helpful in this case.

From what I've read, reported alcoholics are considered high risk and see higher premiums for 3-5 years after getting help because of the rate of relapse. It sucks, but there is little I can do about it.

I hope your Crohns is well managed, and what a good feeling it must have been to see "resolved". Congratulations
Old 01-23-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Rar

Being honest about my drinking is definitely going to be the hardest. I saw a doctor last year with the intent of being honest but then froze up. I did tell him I drink often, but nowhere near the correct amount. I'm working up the courage now to be honest. I am worried about my insurance going up if it's reported that I'm an alcoholic. I don't know if there is a way around that. Higher premiums are better than the damage alcohol is causing though.

I'm on the search for a therapist as well.

Thanks for your message.
I also wasn't totally forthcoming with my doctor - I omitted about 2-3 beers a day. I did express concern about my records and insurance. He told me that the insurance company wouldn't know about the alcohol. I don't know what's in my medical records, though. I would mention your insurance concern to your doctor. Hopefully, he will work around that diagnosis with your insurance company.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I was wondering about the insurance also. I already have depression anxiety and cancer on it so why not alcohol too? Crap!! I think all the issues are linked, the depression leads to the drinking that led to the cancer. The issue might be if you try to get long term health plan or other plan like life insurance possibly but not 100% sure....
Old 01-23-2018, 05:19 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Shebeens View Post
I was wondering about the insurance also. I already have depression anxiety and cancer on it so why not alcohol too? Crap!! I think all the issues are linked, the depression leads to the drinking that led to the cancer. The issue might be if you try to get long term health plan or other plan like life insurance possibly but not 100% sure....
Now that you mention it, I believe anxiety and depression was the diagnosis my doctor submitted to the insurance company, He discussed alcohol with me 'off the record'. However, should your doctor recommend inpatient treatment, that would be a different situation.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I also wasn't totally forthcoming with my doctor - I omitted about 2-3 beers a day. I did express concern about my records and insurance. He told me that the insurance company wouldn't know about the alcohol. I don't know what's in my medical records, though. I would mention your insurance concern to your doctor. Hopefully, he will work around that diagnosis with your insurance company.
Rar,
That's good thinking! I'm going to talk to them about it and see what can be done.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shebeens View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your health issues I think it's great that you're looking into recovery. Everyone deserves to live a life free of addiction. I'm rooting for you.