Notices

What Do you drink?

Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have a cup of coffee early in the morning and then tea, hot or iced depending on the season, until mid afternoon. In the late afternoon and evening I have club soda with or without lemon slices. I drink herb tea after dinner. I don’t do many social functions but when I do I hold a glass of club soda or water and fidget until I can politely leave.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I absolutely love ginger beer. There is no alcohol in it. Ginger ale is sweet but ginger beer is spicy and has a bite to it. It is soooo good. My favourite brand is fever tree as I find it to be the least sweet of them. There is one jamaican brand, can't remember the name that is spicy as well but also very sweet so I don't care for it. Shwepps makes a ginger beer to that is a less expensive option to fever tree and it spicy but not tooo too sweet- a little bit sweeter than fever tree but not overwhelmingly sweet.
In the summer I love to make flavoured waters with herbs from my garden. I take ice cold sparkling water- the most effervescent I can find. In the US Saratoga (in big blue glass bottles) is particularly "sparking" I put in lavender, rosemary, mint, limes and lemons. Very delicious.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drink coffee (too much) and various low sugar fizzy pop at home. When I go out (which isn't that often) I'll treat myself to low (i.e. less than 0.5%) or zero alcohol beer. I know some don't like doing that but it works for me. I only have a couple and I see it as a treat.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I absolutely love ginger beer. There is no alcohol in it. Ginger ale is sweet but ginger beer is spicy and has a bite to it. It is soooo good. My favourite brand is fever tree as I find it to be the least sweet of them. There is one jamaican brand, can't remember the name that is spicy as well but also very sweet so I don't care for it. Shwepps makes a ginger beer to that is a less expensive option to fever tree and it spicy but not tooo too sweet- a little bit sweeter than fever tree but not overwhelmingly sweet.
In the summer I love to make flavoured waters with herbs from my garden. I take ice cold sparkling water- the most effervescent I can find. In the US Saratoga (in big blue glass bottles) is particularly "sparking" I put in lavender, rosemary, mint, limes and lemons. Very delicious.
Some 'smartass' brought ginger beer to one of my parties and left a few behind, when I was still drinking. I had ran out of MY beer one night and cracked a ginger beer and I hate ginger,but booze brain.. Anyways.. I drank around 2 of them and started reading the label on the 3rd. Alchy me was NOT happy!!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Coffee, tea, water plain and sparkling. Smoothie in the morning for breakfast, a gallon of water. I do an electrolyte balance drink after I exercise. I like club soda if I am out to dinner.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm down for almost any flavor of seltzer - also ginger ale and, oddly enough, milk....love milk; always have
Old 01-24-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Scott You have good questions and good energy. Think of the season and what is fresh and make your own concoctions. Think of the fruit that you like and add to water or soda water to flavor.
When I first stopped drinking and was going to a social event I would bring my own soda water and lemon in a to-go cup, if possible. As I have gotten more comfortable with being sober I now am able to just say "I'm good." with a big smile. I might have to repeat it, but it works every time.
You will find that people don't really care whether you drink alcohol or not. But you care, and that is top priority!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

A friend of mine recommended pomegranite juice which apparently has health benefits for the liver. It needs to be the kind not made from concentrate. I’ve ordered some, but will still dilute it. I’ll let you know how I get on with it
Liver Detoxification Using Pomegranate | Natural Detox Diet and Cleansing | Total Wellness Cleanse
Old 01-24-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ever since I started my sobriety I've had a lot of mineral/sparkling water on hand. That and my 'standard' caffeinated regimen of tea and coffee.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hello,
I drink diet coke mostly or soda water with lemon or lime.
I look forward to my cup of coffee first thing in the morning after a refreshing nice sleep. I also enjoy sleepy time tea in the evening. I like the hot soothing taste. During my sober period I always treated myself to a nice cool beverage or the herbal hot tea in bed at night.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Do you like tea? Club soda? Flavored sparkling water? Iced coffee?
There are lots of options, but this early on in your journey, I'd say it is best to avoid situations where alcohol plays a large role. Maybe get together with friends earlier in the day or at places like mini golf, the movies, or working out, where alcohol isn't commonly around. Your sobriety is still fragile right now.
Take care
Old 01-24-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I love soda water, flavored or unflavored. If I go out dancing I will have club soda with lime and grenadine or Red Bull (don't recommend drinking Red Bull though!).
Old 01-24-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

seltzer, coffee, tea, herbal tea, water, juice...long as there is no alcohol, its alright by me
Old 01-24-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJ991 View Post
In a social situation I like lime & soda, it isn't too sweet.
Yes I drink loads of sparkling water ...
In the evening I like my big glass filled with soda water and lime ..loads of ice an slices of fresh lemon and lime ....I'm going to try the diet ginger ale with lime at weekend ...I don't like Coke or lemonade etc
.... I tried a non alcoholic beer when I was having a meal out and honestly didn't like it .....so I just stick to my soda water and lime
Good question though
Xxxxx
Old 01-24-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I love sparkling mineral water, peach and lemon herbal teas, carrot juice, blueberry keffir--when I'm out socially I usually order a cranberry juice and club soda with lime. I've been avoiding too much caffeine but will occasionally have a cappuccino or coffee--about 4 cups a week. I'm really glad you're here with us, Scotty. SR has been a enormous help to me in getting and staying sober.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Sparkling water, usually plain, but occasionally with fresh fruit.

Very refreshing.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Water, iced tea and sometimes La Croix to placate any desire for pop.