SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   dragging through day 14 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/422248-dragging-through-day-14-a.html)

tranquilseeker 01-20-2018 12:34 PM

dragging through day 14

I am at the 2 week mark after quitting on jan 7. i have done this before temporarily and seem to remember more joyful periods of awakening when getting sober. this time I am dragging. I feel tired all the time and have a difficult time getting myself out to do things. I feel a depression setting in because now I am sober and my mind is clear and I realize the loneliness and sadness inside me. i somehow cannot overcome it.

am i being too hard on myself? should i just rest and sit with these feelings for now? or push myself to get out there and do something. I am in new city and there is alot to explore......I feel like I should not be wasting this opportunity to see and experience new things but I really don't feel like it . sorry if this sound whiny but I needed to get it out.

Am2144 01-20-2018 12:39 PM

I am almost at a month sober now and am going through the same thing. I just dont want to leave the house. I also keep thinking about how my life has turned upside down. I have been having movie marathons to keep my mind off things and escape. Ive decided just one day at a time. You can get through this.

Offthemast 01-20-2018 12:50 PM

Week 3 has been really difficult here. Today I'm feeling better and more clearminded.

Rar 01-20-2018 12:53 PM

I understand how you folks feel. Presently I have no solution as I am only on Day 10 and feel pretty much the same way. We have to rely on those with more sober time, experience and wisdom and those folks say it will get better. I'm counting on it!

JJ991 01-20-2018 01:02 PM

2 weeks is great but it is still early days so I'd give yourself a break. If you want to stay in and rest then do just that, but do something to occupy your mind to keep it off booze thoughts.

Just remember that getting out will do you good, think of it in a positive way, look forward to getting out. Don't dwell on the negatives of not going out if that makes sense. I'm all for retraining the brain - I went on a great therapy course for anxiety, to turn down the chattering mind. Look for the positives, think of what you are grateful for in life, even if it is spotting a bird in the trees. I get that might sound a bit, well naff, but it really does work! This is how I've managed almost 4 months now.

Oh and being tired? I was SO tired for the first month or so. Googling the tiredness is how I found SR! :)

JJ991 01-20-2018 01:04 PM

And yes it gets SO much better! :)

sfrn1968 01-20-2018 02:25 PM

2 weeks here. Dont feel like doing much either....mostly due to the fact of the gastritis in my stomach from drinking. But, have to find another job, so no choice

tekink 01-20-2018 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Am2144 (Post 6754621)
I am almost at a month sober now and am going through the same thing. I just dont want to leave the house. I also keep thinking about how my life has turned upside down. I have been having movie marathons to keep my mind off things and escape. Ive decided just one day at a time. You can get through this.

It took me about 6 months to get past the worst of that and even then I'm still not myself yet at 11.

If it were easy this site wouldn't exist.

Anna 01-20-2018 02:35 PM

I think the hardest part of recovery is sitting with those feelings of sadness and loneliness, and what have I done with my life? Try to take it easy and be kind to yourself. But, do get out if you can and see if you can find things to enjoy in your new environment.

Dee74 01-20-2018 03:03 PM

I think its important to have faith - faith in the process and faith in what others are telling you :)

I was beginning to think I'd never feel joy again...but I hung in there because drinking again was not a choice.

Things do get better - they did for me,
stay the course :)

D

Juicer 01-20-2018 07:11 PM

Not giving medical advice, but if you haven't already, perhaps see a doctor? They can run some tests to see if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals which can cause the lethargy and depression.

I'm on day 3, insomnia still clinging on. But I am not on a regime of supplements after my blood-work came back low in certain vitamins and minerals.

ProfessorD 01-20-2018 07:48 PM

Same boat here. For a while, exercise was helping me. But I've been slacking the last two days on that.

I went for a long drive today which felt like doing something, but was low key. Cleared my head and made me feel cheerful if not entirely energetic.