SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New addiction (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/422227-new-addiction.html)

Readygo 01-20-2018 08:24 AM

New addiction

I must have addictive personality as I feel most addicts do. Lately I’ve been absolutely in love with coffee and my co sunroom has increased. I used to drink 1 cup, now since sober life I’m up to 2, and this morning and yesterday I’m thinking, Third cup! I can feel the same “just one more” feeling I had with alcohol which is disturbing but it’s with coffee which obviously isn’t as bad... is that justification I hear?

Anyone else have this kind of thing happen?

2ndhandrose 01-20-2018 08:30 AM

:) welcome to my life, Readygo :)

I am also one of the folk who seem to be prone to addiction to ANYTHING!!!

I do tend towards obsessive behaviour so.... :a043:

No advice really, but being aware of the tendency keeps me on my toes!

tomls 01-20-2018 08:58 AM

I would imagine most if not all of us have some degree of that!

Rar 01-20-2018 09:37 AM

I get it. I've become obsessed with fizzy drinks and calming teas. Anything to drink except alcohol. I used to drink large amounts of coffee, but tapered that because of current anxiety.

doggonecarl 01-20-2018 09:42 AM

Is it making you life unmanageable? If not, it's not an addiction.

FallingStars 01-20-2018 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 6754430)
Is it making you life unmanageable? If not, it's not an addiction.

I don't quite agree with this... I smoked for 20 years and it did not make my life unmanageable, but it sure was an addiction!!

TYG2 01-20-2018 10:37 AM

Oh yeah. I quit smoking in May and drinking Dec 26th. While I vape some after not smoking I am now vaping like a madwoman. Constantly. So glad I quit the cigs long ago or.....ugh

Outonthetiles 01-20-2018 10:46 AM

I always think: if I forget it in the morning and have to turn the car around to go home and get it, it's an addiction.

MindfulMan 01-20-2018 12:19 PM

I think it's pretty common. Hence the pots of strong coffee that's almost a given at most AA meetings I've attended.

JustTony 01-20-2018 12:23 PM

I think our hands are used to holding a drink. We substitute fizzy drinks, coffee, tea, water... anything really for that cup/glass of companionship.

Mine is coffee too but I only drink decaffeinated after a certain time in the day.

Rar 01-20-2018 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by JustTony (Post 6754607)
I think our hands are used to holding a drink. We substitute fizzy drinks, coffee, tea, water... anything really for that cup/glass of companionship.

Mine is coffee too but I only drink decaffeinated after a certain time in the day.

So true for me. Seems like I'm drinking something except alcohol all day long - exactly what I did with beer, starting around noon - 2:00 and continuing until I went to bed.