Notices

I don't drink every day, but ...

Old 01-19-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't drink every day, but ...

When I do drink, I tend to drink way too much and sometimes I'll drink a lot too nights in a row.

For instance, two nights ago, I had a couple drinks with relatives. It was probably a lot for a normal person (around 4 shots of bourbon), but that wasn't enough. On the way home, I picked up a half pint of vodka and drank that. I didn't feel terrible yesterday, but I didn't feel that great.

Then, last night I essentially drank a whole pint of vodka and a glass of wine. I think I'm in the early stages of alcoholism, and I'm definitely functioning, but I've had to work from home a few times this past year because of hangover. I've been "working" from home today because I feel so terrible. I've even started lying when it happens and saying things like "I'm having car issues". I can tell that I'm on the brink of negative consequences if I continue drinking.

I have a lot of family members and some friends who are alcoholics. I've seen what happens when drinking spirals out of control. I need to stop before that happens to me. I have a few questions.

For context, I'm 32. I've been drinking since I was about 18. I started drinking to excess at around 25.

1. I also have issues sleeping. For a long time, it's been hard to settle myself down at night. That's part of the reason I drink. I use valerian root as an anti-anxiety and sleep aid. I also try to work out every day. What are some things you all use for anxiety?

2. I also drink because I look at my life, my strengths and weaknesses and feel like I've wasted some of my talents. I'm a musician. I use to be in a band and we use to tour and record a lot. I barely do anything with music now. Most of the time I feel like a failure. What are some things you all do to find meaning and use your talents?

Sorry if this was long. It feels really good to get this out.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, you are in good company.

I feel like I could have written that minus the musician part!

I too am 32, what a great age to start living a sober life!!! We have a good 40 years left maybe 50 If we treat our bodies good!!!!

I had sleep issues because of my drinking. The first few weeks sober, it was rough to sleep as my body was riding all the toxins. My insomnia is slowly lessoning!!!! I am at about 2 days a week now, Wed and Saturday, the days I would have too much alcohol.

I was so insecure while I was drinking, so I drank for those to go away.
I now, LOVE ME! I don't care if I am a little overweight, I am working out and eating right. I need to love me, I am the only ME I will be! I gained 80 pounds while pregnant, so my weight is not due to drinking, I am sure I kept more on as I was drinking since my little was 8 weeks old, he is now 2.5.

What better reason to stop drinking, to get back to your talents.
I personally picked up painting! I love it. I had no hobbies before, well softball, but I don't have time for that at the present time (its winter)

I hope you find your way to staying sober, you will reap all the benefits.

It isn't easy but it is so worth it! YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!!

Blessings,
DC
Old 01-19-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What DreamCatcher has already mentioned, you want to be weary of cause and effect: You can’t sleep and that’s why you THINK you have to drink, but it could also be the alcohol disrupting your sleep patterns. Consider alternatives that get you relaxed and tired, like meditation and other relaxation exercises. Easier said than done, I know, because such changes take a while to settle and the initial transition will be really difficult. But alcohol induced sleep isn’t really the ultimate solution - it’s not restful and it’s not a long term solution.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate to a lot of what you are saying although I'm a bit older than you. I did drink every day and did the 'pint of vodka' routine 3-4 time a week (and increasing). I would always have a bottle hidden for when I got back from events where I could only drink lightly. I also 'worked at home' with increasing frequency and coincidentally my car had problems too...

I think you know yourself this is only going to go one way if you keep it up. That realisation was what did it for me and I had also learned through previous attempts that cutting down didn't work for me. I'm 4 weeks into sobriety now.

It sounds like you have plenty to replace alcohol with and you seem motivated. Go for it and keep reading and posting on here.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for replying everyone. Today is definitely the worst day to stop drinking ... because I feel so terrible, but if I can get through today, then I can get through tomorrow. On the more positive side, I did buy some recording equipment as a Christmas present. Every time I feel like drinking, I'll record something.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm glad you're here and posting.

It might be worth looking at this thread ... https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...blems-yet.html (Drinking too much but no major problems (yet)?...)

Wishing you all the best for sobriety and recovery. I hope you stick around.

BB
Old 01-19-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi TVA

I'm 10 days clean and sober
I have an inspirational long-time sober sponsor
I am applying myself to a daily action plan
Akin to a workout for my mind!
It's working for me
I like being accountable to someone who is sober and carrying a msg of strength.
I didn't always feel like that.. God i fought tooth and nail to do it my way but it just kept slowly ******* me up!!

I am a drummer I love playing and recording in bands
As I get well on my sober path my creative juices and enthusiasm for playing again start to come back to life inside of me.

Like others have shared I believe anxiety and restlessness can be in many cases aftereffects of active addiction.
It certainly that way in my life.
Take away the drink and other **** I've done and baby steps each day the Power starts to fill my being again.

God bless
Keep posting
It's soo cool to be here and to share our journeys from shame to freedom!!
G
Old 01-19-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheVoluntaryApe View Post
When I do drink, I tend to drink way too much and sometimes I'll drink a lot too nights in a row.

For instance, two nights ago, I had a couple drinks with relatives. It was probably a lot for a normal person (around 4 shots of bourbon), but that wasn't enough. On the way home, I picked up a half pint of vodka and drank that. I didn't feel terrible yesterday, but I didn't feel that great.

Then, last night I essentially drank a whole pint of vodka and a glass of wine. I think I'm in the early stages of alcoholism, and I'm definitely functioning, but I've had to work from home a few times this past year because of hangover. I've been "working" from home today because I feel so terrible. I've even started lying when it happens and saying things like "I'm having car issues". I can tell that I'm on the brink of negative consequences if I continue drinking.

I have a lot of family members and some friends who are alcoholics. I've seen what happens when drinking spirals out of control. I need to stop before that happens to me. I have a few questions.

For context, I'm 32. I've been drinking since I was about 18. I started drinking to excess at around 25.

1. I also have issues sleeping. For a long time, it's been hard to settle myself down at night. That's part of the reason I drink. I use valerian root as an anti-anxiety and sleep aid. I also try to work out every day. What are some things you all use for anxiety?

2. I also drink because I look at my life, my strengths and weaknesses and feel like I've wasted some of my talents. I'm a musician. I use to be in a band and we use to tour and record a lot. I barely do anything with music now. Most of the time I feel like a failure. What are some things you all do to find meaning and use your talents?

Sorry if this was long. It feels really good to get this out.
Hi Voluntary Ape

I'm a musician too - I lost my career through being drink and incapable too many times...but my creativity had dried up long before that - the good news is once I quit it came back - not right away, but in time

I used alcohol for sleep and anxiety too. Exercise works much better for me - that and simple breathing exercises like these.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...techniqes.html (3 Anxiety breathing techniqes)

My sleep fell back into a natural rhythm for me - again not right away but progressively.

I don't want to alarm you but you seem a little further on than the beginnings of alcoholism and a little less than functional if you're now losing things like your music.

It's never too late tho - and it's a good time to turn this around.
You'll find a lot of support here

D