Notices

30 beers in a day

Old 01-19-2018, 02:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 beers in a day

I’ve never actually finished a 30 case of beer to myself in a day before even though I usually do 12’s and 18’s all the time/regularly. Picked up a 30 case of Budweiser at 10:00 AM and was finished by 10:00 PM at night. That’s a little more than 2 beers an hour or a berry every 30 minutes. I’ve read posts on her of people drinking 2 24 packs a day and even up to 60 beers a day and after personally drinking 30 in a day I can’t imagine doubling. Anyone who’s a beer drinker bows how fast they can fill you up and make you feel full and I felt that to the extreme when I tried drinking all that volume. I guess I’m just genuinely curious how some people can get that much fluid in them that’s not water it seems to me that there isn’t enough time in the day
Old 01-19-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well normally I'd pass out and wet myself.
Not a great memory.

Have you given any thought to how you might stop drinking yet, Cole?
you got some good ideas put forward in your other thread

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rned-21-a.html (Just turned 21)

D
Old 01-19-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee for the reply I appreciate your early replies on my post but I do honestly have to say I don’t think I’ll be able to give alcohol up for good until later in life. I do however realize drinking 30 beers in a day isn’t normal and an early warning sign of a problem. I think moderation is a big key but I’ve never been the type to be able to have 2 beers and call it a night and I’m sure a lot of people on here are as well. I’ve read other alcoholics allowing themselves to drink whatever they want and however much they want in 3 hours total for the week but can’t be more than 2 days out of the week. That seems pretty attainable for an average person, I’m not sure however that would do with the alcoholics that I’ve read get withdrawal symptoms as early as 8 hours after their last drink but I’m trying to find all the solutions I can
Old 01-19-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that you feel you can;t give up right now Cole. My biggest regret is the lost years from 20-40 for me. I could have done so much and did so little...

Some people don;t even make it to 40.

I know you feel like you're made of titanium now and that the bad things you read about won't ever happen to you...but they can.

Don't waste 2 decades on this like I did.

Strike a different path.

D
Old 01-19-2018, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ColeLampkin23 View Post
I’ve read other alcoholics allowing themselves to drink whatever they want and however much they want in 3 hours total for the week but can’t be more than 2 days out of the week. That seems pretty attainable for an average person,
That's called binge drinking. The "average" person doesn't engage in binge drinking.

...but I’m trying to find all the solutions I can...
...to continue drinking, it seems. Not quit.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

30 bottles of bud in 12 hours is equivalent to over a litre of spirits or just over 4 bottles of wine; thsts a high tolerance. There is a very small percentage of the population that can drink like that; I’m one of them and I’ve kniwn others. Some were heavy drinkers that stopped for a good reason and were in the other category who find they cannot stop for any reason but they all had one thing in common and that is they are problem drinkers. I had youth for quite a while to fall back on as an excuse for drinking but looking back i did know like you it wasn’t normal but found enough people who did the same to keep it normal if you see what I mean.

Maybe there is a different way at an early age, I didn’t find it but maybe that could be your challenge and you could succeed
Old 01-19-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How can we help? Besides answering questions that seem to be a drunkalogue comparison.....
Old 01-19-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do however realize drinking 30 beers in a day isn’t normal and an early warning sign of a problem.
I don't know how to spell the word for what the game show buzzer for incorrect answers sounds like. So BUZZ!

If one is drinking a case/30 beers in a day, one is well beyond the early warning signs assuming this was a regular ritual.
And if it wasn't, the average person would have checked out somewhere along the way well before reaching that 30 mark. This is not a contest. But if you are trying to determine if by doing something like this is okay, no it's not. I could drink a case of beer and still be in good shape to drive for more if I ran out - I'm a f---ing hero huh! Many of us thought we would quit along the way when we were ready. Unfortunately we forgot about the intention to give it up once we grew up. Next year turns into 2 years, 2 turns into 5, 5 turns into 10, 10 turns into 30... It happens to the best of them with good intentions of getting their act together. Don't believe for a minute that you can continue to drink like that and then just decide somewhere down the road to stop. You might be able to, but most people forget.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I think moderation is a big key but I’ve never been the type to be able to have 2 beers and call it a night and I’m sure a lot of people on here are as well. I’ve read other alcoholics allowing themselves to drink whatever they want and however much they want in 3 hours total for the week but can’t be more than 2 days out of the week. That seems pretty attainable for an average person, I’m not sure however that would do with the alcoholics that I’ve read get withdrawal symptoms as early as 8 hours after their last drink but I’m trying to find all the solutions I can
I'd be careful with your type of drinking. It sounds like your tolerance is high and you're starting to bargain with your drinking. While short term consequences might be limited for now, this type of drinking can really make it hard to cut down in the long term.

What are the reasons for not being able to start getting sober? Like others in the thread have said, 30 beers is a lot, even a 6 pack is a lot. (Comparing ourselves to people who aren't problem drinkers)

We're both the "just a few is a PITA" type drinker it seems. It is sometimes easier to just not start, and way less of a hassle. There was a good thread too about what it means for people to be functional. Even if there aren't any legal problems, one can still hold down a job and pay the bills, boozing like we do can have a very negative impact on our lives. It is amazing how it can handicap one's relationships and potential. It sneaks up on people, it snuck up on me.

Maybe take a personal inventory and examine your drinking from a detached perspective if you can. It's good you're posting, welcome. There's a lot of good people here.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do honestly have to say I don’t think I’ll be able to give alcohol up for good until later in life. I do however realize drinking 30 beers in a day isn’t normal and an early warning sign of a problem. I think moderation is a big key but I’ve never been the type to be able to have 2 beers and call it a night and I’m sure a lot of people on here are as well. I’ve read other alcoholics allowing themselves to drink whatever they want and however much they want in 3 hours total for the week but can’t be more than 2 days out of the week.
Just for the record, I think saying that this is an ‘early warning sign’ is an understatement to say the least. As others have pointed out, consuming that much alcohol and not passing out is a sign of high tolerance.
I have no idea how long you have been drinking, so it’s hard to take a guess what will happen down the road, but what I can recommend is to stick around and read up on alcohol abuse. Follow people’s stories and over time you’ll gain a better understanding of the progressive nature of this disease. Six months ago I did not understand how much trouble I was actually in (and I’m much older than you!), but following the threads here has helped me gain a lot of insight. Not asking you to stop drinking, that’s a decision that you must make, but I think for you to listen to what the folks say around here would be a great idea. Good luck and kep posting!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just drank those 8% beers so I'd not have to drink as many.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies a lot of good advice was given.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do however realize drinking 30 beers in a day isn’t normal and an early warning sign of a problem

thats WAY beyond an early warning sign.
30 beers/day time 7 days/wk=210 beers/week.
210 time 12 oz/beer=2520 oz=19.6 gallons a WEEK.
WAY beyond early warning sign.
and about $125/week
Old 01-19-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tried the bargaining & moderation route, it failed. My problem was not "bad enough" to suffer physical withdrawal symptoms, I drank a bottle of wine daily, but the mental obsession? Well that mention obsession had me well & truly in its grip. I didnt want things to get any worse, I knew where I was heading, so I quit. It was bloody hard but I did it. At 30 beers in one night without passing out, I think you're quite far down the line already. Personally I wouldn't wait to get to the physical withdrawal stage (if you aren't already). You're here on SR, use the support, see if you can find the strength to admit the problem & quit. At the end of the day it is up to you.
Take care x
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

When I realized I maybe drank too much and just might have a problem, I spent several years trying to "cut down". I'd tell myself I could stop any time if I really had to, I just didn't want to yet. I couldn't even fathom ever totally quitting, life without booze was too horrifying to contemplate.

So, I kept on drinking. Eventually I got to the point where my drinking was causing so many problems for me that I knew I couldn't keep on drinking and actually wanted to stop. That's when I found out I couldn't.

Now life without alcohol and never being able to stop were equally horrifying to contemplate. That was my bottom.

I was 21 at that point and that's when I reached out for help and got sober.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, sounds like sobriety would be your friend so you are able to have a nice long fruitfull life!

Whoa, I think I would have died if I drank that much, maybe not form alcohol poisoning but doing stupid stuff in a blackout.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thats a lot of beer.

Really a lot.

Be careful. It only takes one stupid decision to ruin your life and take someone else's and/or yours.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My heart really sank when I read your post, Cole. Consumption at the rate you state is very dangerous to your health and life.

Waiting until later in life to give up drinking is dangerous, too. At the rate you are drinking, you may not make it until 'later' in life. You didn't state your age but I have personally known people who died in their forties from alcoholism and whose consumption was considerably much lower than what you state. Please don't underestimate other negative consequences to the quality of your life which often come with alcoholism - limitations on your career, harm to relationships, damage to self-esteem and self-worth, damage to your appearance, damage on your outlook on life and the list goes on and on.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just saw that you are 21, Cole.

Beautifully young with a beautiful life ahead of you. Hope that you give up alcohol so that you can truly experience and enjoy to its fullest.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great post. I don't think i ever drank a full case but came pretty close to it. I like to keep the feeling that i had after drinking that much as a reminder of how much my drinking got out of control. Not only physical pain but also remorse and shame that was 10 fold. I don't want to go back to that life!