Notices

30 beers in a day

Old 01-19-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hello.

Just to add my voice:

Yep. Looks like you're in the club, I'm afraid. Wanting to drink that much is abnormal to say the least. I don't know anyone who doesn't have an alcohol problem that would even imagine such a thing was possible, let alone try to do it (for "pleasure"!)

At about age 21, this was the sort of thing I was doing. I was in your exact position, in fact. I loved, loved, loved, loved, loved beer. I knew was an alcoholic in my teens but told myself: "Well I know I have a problem but I'll quit later." Like many, many people here, "later" became much, much later.

Some places I visited in the next 20 years while putting off quitting: multiple trips to the ER with alcohol poisoning; multiple nights in jail; gradual isolating and loss of interest in things ordinary people take for granted; anxiety problems and panic attacks caused by constant state of hangover and then withdrawal; agoraphobia and total loss of sense of normalcy; severe depression and utter lack of self-worth; self-harm; suicide attempt; pathetic waste of talents; broken relationships; fatty liver; now broken marriage. All caused to a greater of lesser extent by defending my right to drink and putting off quitting.

If I was 21, I would have liked someone to explain how addictions work from a medical standpoint. You should look into it, as you'll find the idea of "giving up later" is very problematic. Alcoholism is a progressive illness. It can be quite subtle at first, particularly while you are still young and having "fun." But addictions progress if they are indulged and quitting later is more difficult as the grip tightens.

It's up to you really to decide how bad you want to it get/ what you are willing to put up with. On a sobriety website, you aren't going to get anyone who is going to give you permission to carry on drinking, I'm afraid!

Anyway, I wish you well and hope you don't take offence at the direct tone of some of the answers you have here (inc. mine).