Notices

Last Chance

Old 01-18-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Last Chance

Likely many of us may identify with the phrase last chance - I feel like this is my last chance to get sober or I know this may be my last chance - I have been given one more chance........etc.

What if for a moment we knew that this was indeed our last chance, that somehow we could peer into the not too distant future and know the outcome of not changing?

In my three plus years on this forum I have learned of others experiences with concentrated acuity to listening to the person who relapses. I have gained the perspective of there is no problem that a drink won' t make worse. Your experiences help cement the imperative of last chance - this is an SR gift to us all.

Consider the thought - what if you were certain this was your last chance; like Scrooge in the Dickens novel. Would you understand you never have to drink again?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's the thing though isn't it? It could be our last chance and we don't even know it. We are playing Russian Roulette without even knowing how many chambers there are left, let alone wether they are loaded.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If we knew that this was our last chance then, yes, I suspect some of us would grab on to that opportunity and quit for good. And, sadly, some of us still wouldn't.

But is that the right question? Do we have to quit only because this is our last chance?

When I am driving, I apply the brakes a little sooner perhaps than necessary so that I don't have to come to a screeching halt. I do my laundry before every article of clothing of mine gets dirty. I go to bed before I collapse from exhaustion.

My decision to quit drinking was made because my life was out of control. I hated myself. I hated how guilty and anxious that I felt because of my drinking. I knew that some day my drinking would kill me. Maybe it would kill me tomorrow. Maybe it would kill me in 10 years. But it was killing me.

Could I have waited another week, or month, or year, before I quit? Maybe. Maybe not. I am glad I didn't have to find out before it was too late.

For most of us, today may not be the last possible day that we have to quit drinking. But I guarantee you this: today is the BEST day to quit drinking. Really. It is.