Notices

Weekender 18-22 January, 2018– The Great Escape

Old 01-20-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Love and goodnight to everyone.

And good morning and good afternoon of course.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning to all.

commander

It's too early. Get up or try and sleep some more. OK a little SR from my leaba

Night night Suze.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:16 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good morning.

Welcome to Weekenders commanderrose13! I hope you are OK.

Another wet and cold morning here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20180121_081615.jpg (46.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Lunch yesterday was like a stampede! A glass and steel building with a super-crappy quasi-rustic interior. It was a very hip, trendy farm-to-table place. Enormous variety of breakfast and lunch foods, plus many baked treats.

Most of the foods were OK, but not worth the hype; but there were about 5 real standouts—fantastic things I’d never seen anywhere else.

I’m definitely showing my age. Millennials seem to love teeming places where foods are soaked in bourbon (plus they had many specialty, expensive, avant-garde craft liquor “breakfast cocktails”). (Just to be perverse, I felt like saying to the server, “I’d like a carafe of Mad Dog, please” [Just kidding, of course]).

I guess I’m too darned old to be a hipster!

It’s obvious all I’m fit for these days is the senior menu at IHOP!
Old 01-21-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

My autocorrect strikes again!

I meant to say that the interior was “super-CRAMPY,” not super-crappy.

It was definitely not crappy!

Overall I’m very glad I experienced it! And the company was great.

But all through my life I’ve been kind of trend-challenged!
Old 01-21-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I’m too darned old to be a hipster!

I guess all I’m fit for these days is the senior menu at IHOP!
But not too old to be 'hip'. So I took the wife on a date yesterday for breakfast - yeah it counts as a date. When I was paying at the register I got the, "How was everything today..." "Excellent, but I have a complaint. We each got enough food for two on our plates." She said, "I'll take that complaint. You're allowed to split plates here with no extra charge if you wish." Good to know. I live in an area where obesity is the norm it seems. And it's no wonder why. When we go out we usually bring home 'leftovers'. But I didn't expect to see two eggs benedict and a mound of home fries on her plate. I ate my breakfast and nothing else the rest of the day - recovery mode.

Portion control is a real thing. Many who quit drinking find 'something else' to fill the gap. For me, I ate chocolate like it was going to be taken away from the universe next week. My chocolate 'thing' lasted almost six months. Then I tapered off it - haha. Those who use something else to help them get over the initial loss of alcohol from their diet must keep in mind that it should only be temporary. Whatever you use to get over your cravings, in the form of something by mouth, don't become a slave to it. Getting off alcohol is number one. But as soon as you can, start eating a well balanced diet and lots of raw fruit and vegetables. Instead of chocolate, eat celery and carrot stix. I wish I had done that instead of chocolate.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

The place yesterday was an all-you-can-eat buffet.

I’m glad someone else was buying—I can only eat so much, and then I’m totally stuffed! All-you-can-eat is definitely wasted on me!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
The place yesterday was an all-you-can-eat buffet.

I’m glad someone else was buying—I can only eat so much, and then I’m totally stuffed! All-you-can-eat is definitely wasted on me!
haha... When I go into a place and they offer me the "all you can eat" option, my reply is always, "I can't eat all you can eat." Truth
Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Timely post LBrain, tho I've cut back on the sugary replacements I am up over 15 pounds (That's one pound per month I've been sober!). My thought's of fancy are now turning toward loosing that weight. I'm going to have to do it mostly thru diet, I can't work out as intensly as I use too.

I'll start right after breakfast...
Old 01-21-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Funny, all you can eat is a total waste of money for me unless I do takeout. I can eat three times on one chinese buffet takeout.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Who are you birdlike creatures?

Maybe it's because I've kept track of my food for many years after becoming, over-weight and then losing it - but I think of hipster all-you-eat-farm-to-table places like a little slice of Heaven right here on earth.

Pass on the carafe of Mad Dog and the mountain of hash browns though.

It's wet and cold here, too. Surprise!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Your lunch sounded fun Gilmer even if it was plagued by hipsters, even five new things or ideas is good though. I am a very long time resident of a part of London called Shoreditch which has gentrified over the last 15 years and is now hipster central and quite a few of them are no spring chickens. A man who lives near me and who is well into he sixties with a long white beard only ever seems to wear leopard print leggings, OK in this awful weather as he wears a long coat over them but he is a bit alarming in the summer. I fight backagainst the hipster thing by dressing like a geography teacher. I am in fact the squarest man in Shoreditch.

LBrain makes a good point about cravings for sweet foods in early recovery, I had no specifics but I ate more cake, sweets (candy) and chocolate but the cravings eased gradually.

Btw, I know what you mean about US portion sizes too. First time I visited the US in 1982 I was hungry after sleeping off my jet lag and ordered two sandwiches. A sandwich in Britain is something in between two slices of bread. Untravelled rube that I was then I was stunned when someone wheeled them in on a trolley, waited for a tip and left without the trolley - I thought he had forgotten it but no, it was all mine sandwiches, fries, "sides" × 2. Yuge!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I completely revised Nick's eating from wo to go, and this was before we were even together.

American food is very very different from Australian food.

And bim......you are awesome.
And Lbrain....your post was brilliant......I want to bump it.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
.....Portion control is a real thing. Many who quit drinking find 'something else' to fill the gap. For me, I ate chocolate like it was going to be taken away from the universe next week. My chocolate 'thing' lasted almost six months. Then I tapered off it - haha. Those who use something else to help them get over the initial loss of alcohol from their diet must keep in mind that it should only be temporary. Whatever you use to get over your cravings, in the form of something by mouth, don't become a slave to it. Getting off alcohol is number one. But as soon as you can, start eating a well balanced diet and lots of raw fruit and vegetables. Instead of chocolate, eat celery and carrot stix. I wish I had done that instead of chocolate.
Bump ♥
Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I completely revised Nick's eating from wo to go, and this was before we were even together.
And as a result I lost 60 pounds and now am in the best shape of my life..... And finally see myself as someone who can get the rest of the way to *in shape* and toned and fully healthy. Before that seemed like something that was so far out of reach that it was just laughably impossible.

Speaking of which, I still need to sign up at the local gym
Old 01-21-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome commanderrose13

D
Old 01-21-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

My cat...or cats(I have two)... not sure who is to blame - have started peeing on the carpet. So far in only one place, but I now am armed with interwebz knowledge and will tackle this tomorrow with vinegar, wet-vac, enzyme cleaner and carpet shampooer.

I really really hope I can magic it away and don't have to tear up the carpet. Can't afford that right now.

I've never had a cat do this before and I am less than pleased.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Maybe he’s ill. Aren’t cats susceptible to crystals in their urinary tract?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
My cat...or cats(I have two)... not sure who is to blame - have started peeing on the carpet. So far in only one place, but I now am armed with interwebz knowledge and will tackle this tomorrow with vinegar, wet-vac, enzyme cleaner and carpet shampooer.

I really really hope I can magic it away and don't have to tear up the carpet. Can't afford that right now.

I've never had a cat do this before and I am less than pleased.

I suppose you could buy another three cats and becone a mad cat wonan in which case pee on the carpet doesn't count.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20180122_003714.jpg (38.9 KB, 26 views)