SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   This is hard but can be done (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/422081-hard-but-can-done.html)

Sephgato 01-17-2018 06:31 PM

This is hard but can be done

I have thought for years every morning that I should stop drinking. I did for a week and found that my favorite brew was out for the public....hopslam. While I may have failed in my attempt to quit cold turkey, I realized something....I don't like this anymore. I gave up booze while my wife was away and found each day was better without it. I stopped today to pick up a few six packs of my beloved hopslam to give to a coworker and one for myself. I have had 4. Epic fail but not entirely. I had them and chewed while I did but found them to be gross these days. You see, I want to quit beer and chew. I had for a week. These would be seen as a set back to some but a reaffirmation that I am done. I liked the taste of my old friends but realized we have moved apart. I don't see this as a failure so much as I really do see this as me ready to move on. Before I touched them I had meaningful family time, then I sat in the bath having a few. Most were poured out. Because of this site I am a changed person, I no longer have my bond with beer. Yes I drank a few and chewed but have felt so good the last 5 days that I know I am done with this. Good luck to you all, this is a will over want thing to me. I will continue to read the writings here but know I found freedom from this site. Thank you all as I see nothing but sobriety in my future.

Dee74 01-17-2018 08:00 PM

It's pretty rare for someone to beat something like addiction in a week and a couple of days posting on SR - even when they drank again and have not felt the usual euphoria, or even been a little repulsed by it.

Most of us have been there - I was - and, not too long, after I drank again anyway...

My advice is to stick around - there's many years of experience here...you could really learn some useful things Sephgato :)

D

Sephgato 01-18-2018 02:52 AM

I will definetly be here for a long time to come. I was just saying the perspective I have received here has changed my view point immensely.

Scotsguy 01-18-2018 03:03 AM

The initial europhia of knowing you are 100% committed is very gratifying, but it's a long long road for us all full of many challenges# am already getting myself mindset ready for summer season with those barbecues that always seemed nicer with good beer! Those golf outings that drink seems more important than the actual golf! Can think of lots more but am already prepping myself that I will be ready " well done on stopping and long long may it continue

Dee74 01-18-2018 03:21 AM

I obviously misunderstood your post for a leaving, or at least a no more posting, post Sephgato. My apologies :)

D

Sephgato 01-18-2018 05:07 PM

No apology is needed. I realize I had a slip and quickly realized my motivation to be sober was stronger. None of us are perfect but in my case I know that I want sobriety over alcoholism. I do find it odd the questioning of ones strength over addiction to be overcome in a weeks time. Yes mine has been 10 years but if you say enough is enough who are others to judge? This is a will over want issue. It's not a disease as I did it to my self. I will continue to read the posts of those amongst us but find that one persons apparent inability to address and destroy is somehow "rare" that another can do it. I admit my faults. I raced mx professionally, wrestled at high levels and made poor decisions with alcohol. But I also choose to change that. It is a matter of will

Offthemast 01-18-2018 05:25 PM

Let us know how that goes. Seriously. I know when I get to a point of weak will I need other tools to fight with, i.e. prayer, recognition of AV.

I'm sure it can be done with pure will power, but in my case I reach a point where I convince myself that it's ok. So the white knuckling stops and I give in. The mind is a tricky sob.

rascalwhiteoak 01-18-2018 05:38 PM

Finding SR and spending time here is an important part of my sobriety maintenance. I guess for me it was also important to develop a mindset that didn't allow room for drinking again — it just isn't an option. Taking the option off the table also frees up my willpower to resist more (less) important stuff, like sugar :D

Dee74 01-18-2018 05:49 PM

I'm pretty strong willed but that didn't serve me well with alcohol cos part of my will wanted to find a way to control my drinking....

Acceptance worked better for me - I accepted I have a toxic relationship with alcohol - & the solution is not to ingest it, ever :)

D

Sephgato 01-18-2018 05:59 PM

I agree that I have a bad relationship with alcohol which is why I decided I would beat it. I have read on this site for a year prior to posting. I find that I am just ready to change and live and that the alcohol I have used have no place in my life if I intended to have one.

Sohard 01-18-2018 06:01 PM

Sephgato- I don't really understand anyone posting anything but "congrats" here to you right now. You sound at peace and excited about the future. It's not for anyone to question that. I must take you at your word because that is literally all I have from you. I believe you, I'm a bit jealous of the strength you obviously feel, and I wish you well.

Sephgato 01-18-2018 06:14 PM

I found peace by reading others posts. I won't pretend this is easy, but I know what I want. Alcohol is my enemy, I finally chose not to enable it.

Sohard 01-18-2018 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sephgato (Post 6752668)
I found peace by reading others posts. I won't pretend this is easy, but I know what I want. Alcohol is my enemy, I finally chose not to enable it.

You're an inspiration!