SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Drink to sleep - need to quit (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/422055-drink-sleep-need-quit.html)

TexasBorn 01-17-2018 08:58 AM

Drink to sleep - need to quit

I need to quit drinking. For years, I drink to sleep, but I need to change. The “how-to-change” is what I’m trying to figure out.

I have a great life, great spouse, job, and family. I’m up at 4:30ish in the morning, headed to work at a job I really enjoy. My spouse is absolutely wonderful and we get along very well. But for years, I can’t sleep without drinking (vodka). I want to change that—I need to change that. I’m looking for recommendations on the best way to stop without impacting my spouse/job/family. Any suggestions? Anyone here faced the same thing and what worked for you? Thanks!

PennyLane76 01-17-2018 09:04 AM

I would check with your doctor. He or she might recommend supplements or meds to help sleep until you have detoxed, idk. Just about a given is experiencing insomnia at first after quitting. Have strategies in place for that. I'm a lifelong insomnia, I feel ya

TexasBorn 01-17-2018 10:28 AM

I take it that insomnia is one of the things that happens when you stop drinking. That’s going to be a tough, especially given that I have such a busy, full like during the day. Guess the unknown is always a little difficult to get through, but it’s something that has to be done. Any thoughts on how long the insomnia lasts or does it vary person-by-person?

JK130 01-17-2018 10:41 AM

Insomnia is very common, yet not a "given". And yes, it's frustrating. The good news is that there's usually company on SR at any hour of the day/night. Good for you to give up alcohol! You have so much in your life going well that it might be just the right time to go sober...even if ocassionally sleep deprived.

TexasBorn 01-17-2018 10:47 AM

Thanks JK130! I sure appreciate the encouragement! I know I’m not the only one facing this task but quitting is the right thing to do—and HAS to get done!

Hopedeferred 01-17-2018 10:54 AM

Meltonin and magnesium supplements for insomnia...and chamomile tea

Meltonin and magnesium supplements for insomnia...and chamomile tea Or valerian tea. Give it a go.

Originally Posted by TexasBorn (Post 6750979)
Thanks JK130! I sure appreciate the encouragement! I know I’m not the only one facing this task but quitting is the right thing to do—and HAS to get done!

tekink 01-17-2018 10:56 AM

Drinking caused me to sleep poorly. I'd fall asleep but not sleep long and wake often during the night. I'd average around four pints of water during the course of the night.

I had some insomnia problems when I was drinking due to coming off of pain meds. I'm starting to actually sleep a bit better now after 11 months but again my insomnia was not from alcohol withdrawal. I actually kicked the pain meds four years ago and still have insomnia from that!

Dee74 01-17-2018 02:20 PM

Welcome Texas Born :)

I drank to sleep for years too - when I quit I had hardcore insomnia for a night or two but it got progressively better pretty quickly,

After about 2 weeks I'd settled uinto a bnew sleeping pattern and rarely have sleep issues anymore :)

Hope it works that way for you too

D
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Just a reminder to everyone on medical advice...

support and personal experience only please...no recommendations for others.

Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals.
I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help - but what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

Thanks for your understanding,

Dee
SR

trachemys 01-17-2018 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hopedeferred (Post 6750992)
Meltonin and magnesium supplements for insomnia...and chamomile tea Or valerian tea. Give it a go.

What Hope said! I've had some great nights after discovering these naturals.

I've taken as much as 10 mg of melatonin on occasion and as little as 3 mg just depends on the day. A hot herbal tea an hour before bed will totally relax me. Take your vitamins.

MindfulMan 01-17-2018 08:22 PM

You're not really sleeping if you're using alcohol, you're passing out. And possibly have to take a shot in the middle of the night. Alcohol is a lousy sleep agent. It's very short acting and completely destroys your sleep architecture.

I was cross-addicted to sleeping pills (lunesta, the green butterfly thingie). So when I detoxed, they switched me to valium for the alcohol and simultaneously tapered the lunesta. My insomnia wasn't bad in the acute stages, but lingered on for a few weeks in decreasing severity.

Man, when you DO finally sleep when you're not drinking you feel so much more refreshed. Because real sleep.

D122y 01-17-2018 08:28 PM

Tex,

I learned here that 1 hour of sober sleep is worth 12 drunken.

The addiction to booze is for life.

Dealing w the world clean is how I was designed.

It took months for me to see a big change in my energy.

These days, it is a whole new world.

Get clean.

Thanks.