SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Busy day ahead (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/422040-busy-day-ahead.html)

Stew1984 01-17-2018 12:15 AM

Busy day ahead

No booze for me today, didn’t sleep well but it’s preferable to waking up with a hangover. Now I’ve got this time on my hands (like every evening) which is new time for me. Need to fill it. Need to attack the day today and start to build distance between the past me and the me I want to be.
Seeing my nephew today and one of my friends after that, one of the things I’m going to work on is focus more outwardly. My own head hasn’t been a friend to me all the time recently. A good day today looks like family time, friend time, exercise later in the form of footie and hit the pillow later aiming for a good nights sleep. Have a good day everyone

Stronger2017 01-17-2018 12:17 AM

Sounds like a good day👍

JK130 01-17-2018 12:57 AM

Great attitude. One more sober day...check!

Stew1984 01-17-2018 02:32 AM

Thanks guys, will update again later just with my nephew at the moment

Nonsensical 01-17-2018 03:25 AM

Love the positivity!

Stay sober, my friend. You and your head will make up in time. :)

Stew1984 01-17-2018 06:07 AM

Thanks nonsensical, appreciated!!

Hawkeye13 01-17-2018 07:09 AM

Yep, putting together sober time and positive attitude means major
wonderful life change Stew :shine8pl::dance3::c014:

SnazzyDresser 01-17-2018 07:11 AM

Good going, Stew. Not drinking gives us back time to actually do stuff again, it's great.

Anna 01-17-2018 07:23 AM

Enjoy your day, Stew!

Stew1984 01-17-2018 09:18 AM

Cheers everyone, still going strong, no urge at moment, got footie soon. Will update again in a bit

SoberLeigh 01-17-2018 09:28 AM

Very good to hear, Stewy. See you soon.

Stew1984 01-17-2018 12:57 PM

Back home now, finished everything for the day but a different feeling tonight than any other night. I didn’t take the trip to the shops and get the usual beers, got a glass of water instead.
I’ve got mixed feelings and to be honest, I feel like I’ve been overthinking all day about so many different topics. It has not necessarily been productive but I’m pleased that I’ve put the plug in the jug today.
For me, having a clear head means so many different things, it means I’m going to have to face up to things head on- anxieties, worries, challenges. Living life on life’s terms eh. Hopefully I will have a good sleep tonight and wake in a bit better frame of mind. I’m getting told a lot that I’ve got a lot going for me, it’s like there is a difference between what others perceive of me and what I perceive of myself. I’m not sure how to go about altering this seen as I’ve beat myself down with a stick for a while there’s a tendency to just do what you’ve always done.
I don’t know......I overthink, worry, maybe that’s just me- do I think it deprives me of opportunity- yes.

Anyway, no point in dwelling, celebrate the positive. I’m not drinking today, I haven’t drank today, I’m not drunk now, and I’ll be going to bed knowing I achieved what I set out to achieve

2ndhandrose 01-17-2018 02:45 PM

"there’s a tendency to just do what you’ve always done"

While this is true, Stewie, it is also true that we can change our default settings :)

I work on catching my negative thoughts and challenging them with truth. It is ongoing work, but, I am starting to notice that my inner thought process is actually changing!

I believed for a very long time, that I couldn't change my thinking, but I was wrong about that.

I hope you have a good rest and see you here tomorrow :grouphug:

Dee74 01-17-2018 03:11 PM

I'm glad you've got a day one down Stewy :)

I know you're worried about over thinking, but I think you might need a better plan than 'keep busy' - noone can keep busy 24/7/365

what are some other things you might do to defeat cravings if they come, or the fear and loathing, or the 'whats the use - this is my default' feelings that may arise?

Have you considered what you could do for support outside of SR?

D

Stew1984 01-17-2018 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose (Post 6751317)
"there’s a tendency to just do what you’ve always done"

While this is true, Stewie, it is also true that we can change our default settings :)

I work on catching my negative thoughts and challenging them with truth. It is ongoing work, but, I am starting to notice that my inner thought process is actually changing!

I believed for a very long time, that I couldn't change my thinking, but I was wrong about that.

I hope you have a good rest and see you here tomorrow :grouphug:

Thank you very much 2ndhand rose

Stew1984 01-17-2018 10:37 PM

I’m envisaging a tough ride early on because I’ve literally gone from all to nothing in the space of a day in terms of drinking. I have told my close family about stopping. I’ve been doing a CBT course for the last 12 weeks for anxiety- it’s mainly the social side of things I’ve had support for.
I know it is unrealistic to keep busy all of the time, I’m planning during quiet times to play my guitar or read.
I woke at 5:30 this morning which is really weird and started ruminating. I couldn’t really tell you what about because it was really to do with nonsense and nothing of great importance.
I’m feeling pretty flat, think that’s one of my main concerns but what do I expect given the punishment of recent months?
I’ve connected up again with some people I’ve previously knew that went on the back seat during my last relationship. I would like to see these people regularly as I believe they will help me with the re building process