Notices

Is there hope for an atheist alcoholic?

Old 01-17-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sober atheist

One sober atheist right here. Three months clean and never been more content. I found the right motivation after becoming diabetic.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

yes. there is hope.

go to a place where you can see the sunrise.

with all the power you can summon - will the sun to stay down.

if you can succeed in this endeavor - congratulations; there is no higher power than you.

if you cannot - congratulations; you now have proof in your own experience that there IS a higher power than yourself.

That's all it really takes. You need only believe in some power greater than yourself.... and have a willingness to believe it can help restore you to sanity (sobriety).

Remove the word "God" from the equation. This isn't about "God" despite what some will tell you.

It's about placing some faith outside yourself. That faith can be in science (even an atheist is just a collection of subatomic particles smushed into a humanoid form and walking around interactive with other subatomic particles, after all), the sunrise, the Greek Gods of Yore, a rock.... I knew a guy who's higher power was an unopened beer.

Anyway - go give it a shot. Try and get the sun not to rise. Then come back here and tell me how powerful you are.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
One sober atheist right here. Three months clean and never been more content. I found the right motivation after becoming diabetic.
^ Yeti has a higher power;

Diabetes.

He believes Diabetes is more powerful than himself, and can help restore him to sanity (sobriety).

Way to go, Yeti.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Im not sure why being an atheist should stop you from getting sober. There are plenty of options out there including addiction counselling, medication, SMART, CBT etc. I guess you are referring to AA with this one. There is a story in the Big Book about being an atheist in AA that you may relate to, i'm not saying it is an easy route but as long as you are firm in your non-belief it should be bearable for you if you want to go to AA and want to get sober.