Notices

Why Vodka?

Old 01-16-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why Vodka?

Why does it seem Vodka is the choice for the "sneaky, I'm hiding it" alcoholic? Yes, its clear and you can put it in a water bottle, you can mix it with juice etc. but you can smell it a mile away on someones breath.
I've known a ton of drunks in my lifetime and it seems as they got worse with their drinking they always switched to Vodka thinking no one could smell it or they could mix it with juice etc without anyone knowing.
I have a friend who tries to hide his drinking and for some strange reason he insists no one knows he's drinking as long as its Vodka, he got into my truck on Sunday and I'm like "dude, you reek of booze" his reply was "really?, I only drink Vodka" Just a thought I had today
Old 01-16-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to drink vodka because it was easy to mix with a multitude of things. You are right... you can smell it on someone's breath.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it smells less than other alcohols.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OH no you can? I thought they could only tell because I was acting incredibly sloppy, foolish and slurring my words.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whopper View Post
I think it smells less than other alcohols.
I think thats the mindset of most people, but no it doesn't smell less alcoholy than other stuff...I realized that after being sober for a few months
Old 01-16-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most alcoholics think they are "sneaky" with their drinking by hiding bottles or trying different drinks, but the only ones we're fooling are ourselves.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm aware I probably reek of it but I've always hated the smell. It just gets me drunk faster then most alcohol
Old 01-16-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you pretty much answered your own question plus it's also pretty cheap (more bang for your buck) if you don't care about the top shelf stuff which many alcoholics don't. especially if you're broke.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Speaking as someone whose drink of choice was vodka. I can say that I knew that I reeked like a distillery when I was hammered, and I didn't care.

I suspect that for so many alcoholics (especially men) at a certain point, wine and beer are no longer strong enough...and unlike rum, gin, or the brown liquors, vodka really has no taste. No taste = easier to slug down as quickly as possible. It was strictly a drug for me, there was no "drinking enjoyment" to be had.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Gin made me feel pickled, tequila gets old in quantity, and whiskies give terrible hangovers.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Quicker, cheaper, less hangovers, less empties to hide (than beer or wine) and it does smell a bit less than other spirits. And for some reason made me feel like an alcky when buying it than whisky.

Last edited by Pulaski; 01-17-2018 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Grammat
Old 01-17-2018, 03:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Speaking as someone whose drink of choice was vodka. I can say that I knew that I reeked like a distillery when I was hammered, and I didn't care.

I suspect that for so many alcoholics (especially men) at a certain point, wine and beer are no longer strong enough...and unlike rum, gin, or the brown liquors, vodka really has no taste. No taste = easier to slug down as quickly as possible. It was strictly a drug for me, there was no "drinking enjoyment" to be had.
True words. That was exactly like me when I drank...
Old 01-17-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 3

I'm only at day three of my sobriety, but my drink of choice was vodka. I binged on it for the past week and a half. It's cheap, strong and had fewer cal.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I couldn't tell you. Getting involved with it was a huge mistake.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me i was drinking vodka to try and hide the drinking. Looking back i do not even recognise that person not because i was drinking the vodka but because i was trying to hide it...crazy! The worst thing was is that i don't like spirits at all, my DOC was beer and wine. As soon as i started to hide my drinking by doing spirits instead my alcohol consumption went off the map and things really turned bad in the coming years. All for wanting to hide it from someone?????????
Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was always a beer drinker and was 'good',never acted a fool or even seemed dunk according to friends,then around 33yrs I started having some shots with my beers and was 'ok'..At 35 I would mix it up with vodka drinks and all hell broke loose! Inside and outside I was out of control and lost in the drinking cyclone. I was a cheap vodka drinker and I had/have money,but I couldn't justify paying $30+ for the same buzz I could get for $10.. I also thought vodka was oder less until I got picked up by a friend one morning after a hard night of drinking and he told me I wreaked of vodka! Since I've stopped drinking I can also smell it on others. Kinda like cigarette smokers don't really notice their clothes smell i guess.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jesykah03 View Post
I'm only at day three of my sobriety, but my drink of choice was vodka. I binged on it for the past week and a half. It's cheap, strong and had fewer cal.
Same for me. All of the above. ^^ Especially the calories; and for some reason, unlike any other alcohol, vodka kills my appetite. But it definitely wakes up "the Monster".
Old 01-17-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My evil twin

Whiskey and coke is what brought out the monster for me