Notices

I try everyday and fail

Old 11-01-2004, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I try everyday and fail

Every morning I get up and hope and pray this will be the day I can stop. Sometimes I make it through the day, but the next day I drink and pop some pills. I drink heavy everyday. It seems futile. I don't know what to do. I feel bad so I drink, I feel good so I drink, I feel nothing so I drink.....I am afraid I might die soon if I don't stop. It all seems so hopeless, yet so many here seem to have gotten started. HOW?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I stood at the very spot you stand now. I couldn't stop on my own, so I asked for help. I got in touch with AA. Call AA in your local area. You don't have to go through this alone and there is a solution to the agony. Make the phone call. There is hope. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

By doing what you just did.
Admitting you've got a problem.
Welcome to SoberRecovery getgoing.
I needed help, and I found it with others like me, in AA and NA.
Want to hear more?
Glad you're here.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm with Dan and Muse... call AA. It's a good starting point, and so many people have been helped there. They know *exactly* what you are going through and the agony that you are in - as do we. Please reach out to a group in your community - this forum is good, but there's nothing like face to face contact to help you out. You've taken the first step - you want out - and that's a very good thing.

Strength to you.
--anne
Old 11-01-2004, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Now you need a plan. Whatever the plan is. Going to AA worked for me, there is also SMART, there are rehabs, etc etc.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step tho. Good for you!

It all seems so hopeless, yet so many here seem to have gotten started.
Look around at all the success stories, at all the ppl struggling yet making progress! Look around here at all the support ppl are getting every day.

Hang around here, post, read.... its a great place to be.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Been in your shoes, hit an NA or AA meeting. Keep an open-mind, go to a meeting everyday, share at these meetings that you are struggling. The rest will take care of itself. Thousands upon Thousands upon Thousands of people have been where your at and are now living a better way of life. If you want it, you will do it.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello and welcome. Like most others who have posted already, I could not do it alone. I went to treatment and since then have been regularly attending AA meetings, working the steps, and talking to my sponsor. You can do it too, if you really want it.

Best of luck--
Old 11-01-2004, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Connie

I knew I couldn't do it alone. I called AA one night in drunken desperation. A wonderful man on the other end of the line talked to me for 3 hours, and then told me where the closest meeting was the next day. That was October 4, 2004, and its been uphill from there. Just walk in the door, there's comfort and hope to be found in those rooms, and some real special people. Give it a chance, it's a wonderful thing to do for yourself.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

((((hugs))))

The first step in getting a prayer answered is to get up off your knees. But you didn't say you prayed. You did say you can't stop on your own....Where is God in all this?

God loves you, His precious child. He loves you where you are, as you are. You don't have to earn it. You don't have to even accept or acknowledge it, it's just a fact. He can't help it. It's what He does.

Maybe, in addition to AA/NA, you should talk to a clergyman.

And pray. Don't worry about thee's and thy's. Just talk to Him. He'll listen. It's what He does.

When I holler to God for help, He sends people.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Godsgift

Hang in there "getgoing"

God bless you. I know that it is not easy to stop drinking. I too was a constant drinker, everyday, from beginning to end. I no longer just "wanted to drink", but at the end "I had to drink". In order to survive. Withdrawal or stopping on your own is very dangerous whether people realize that or not. I was having tremors every morning and had to drink to get to work so I would stop shaking. One day at a time, or sometimes one second. Just give yourself credit, and find your higher power, God is there if you need HIM, he will help you, trust me. I will be praying for you. Hangin there "getgoing", I can relate, believe me.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Getgoing

Well done on getting here. Sorry I'm a bit late in rolling out the welcome mat.

What everyone has posted already is exactly what you need to get going.

You say that it all seems so hopeless. Reading here I'm sure you can find loads of additional inspiration to help you stop drinking. For sure, when you get to an AA meeting you will find lots of hope and inspiration.

Being sober now for three months, I have found new hope and faith every single day. The hope which I have found here and in AA is not just the hope that I can stay sober, but hope and inspiration in every aspect of my life. Not picking up a drink allows me to take decisions for myself and run my life how I really want to live.

This is a worldwide community and we're all here to help each other.

With a little help from your friends you can get going, Getgoing.

Keep on posting.

Rich
Old 11-03-2004, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Been there too!

Hi getgoing-

I noticed you're in Santa Monica-I'm a newbie too (73 days) and would be more than happy to meet up with you at a meeting if you'd like. Going to those for the first time alone is awful I know, so I want you to know you have a neighbor that wants to go with ya :-). Send me a Private Message if you'd like to take me up on this offer, or just post back here. I'm going to shoot you a message now........