Notices

Soberchella-A Google group

Old 01-16-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Soberchella-A Google group

This will be my first Coachella without any substance use. In the past the festival has been an exercise in polypharmacology for me, including alcohol, as it is for many attendees. Many would probably say don't go, but it's one of my favorite places on earth and I don't want to give it up. The people I'm going and staying with are very supportive, and I have an escape plan in case the triggers and temptation are too great.

I've discovered a Google group called Soberchella that gives support to sober attendees and has at least one 12 step meeting every day of the festival on both weekends. Apparently last year they had them at noon near the VIP area off to the left of the main stage. I'm guessing it's an all-fellowship meeting, but I could be wrong on that.

If anyone is planning to attend the festival and wants to participate, they can be reached by emailing and they will add you to the list. They haven't posted anything yet for 2018, but they will, and if you join you should get emails when they add information, locations, etc.

PM me if interested and I will message you the address, as I don't think I can post it.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Apparently last year they had them at noon near the VIP area off to the left of the main stage. I'm guessing it's an all-fellowship meeting

Hey Maybe Slim Shady will show up for the serenity prayer. haha. Sorry, couldn't help myself. And the band War on Drugs! Nice.

Frankly it sounds like a fricken blast! And even more fun sober, frankly. Sounds like you have a good plan...and you can always decide against it when the time draws near....
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Yep, War on Drugs is in the lineup this year. I saw them 2 years ago...kinda samey and meh live, although I like their studio stuff.

If the artists show up, there may be a number of them....

Definitely more fun sober, particularly when compared to last year when I was a frickin' mess.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Living in CA I've been to alot of Coachella's but never sober and I haven't even thought of going this year for that reason..so thanks for the info!
Old 01-16-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

All the best MindfulMan. I hope you have a sober blast!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
Living in CA I've been to alot of Coachella's but never sober and I haven't even thought of going this year for that reason..so thanks for the info!
Ive been every year since 2010. In 2016 I also did Outside Lands in SF and Austin City Limits to catch multiple Radiohead shows.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been to two rock shows sober now, and I loved it. Much much better than not remembering the show, worrying about how to get home, having to leave the show to pee every 20 minutes.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Since being sober I've been to a few shows, including a day of a festival.

I totally agree that it's way better in so many ways.