Notices

into 9th day of sobriety

Old 01-14-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
smc

Question into 9th day of sobriety

hi,
I'm into my 9th day of sobriety. I tried to quit drinking a year ago. i did for over two months. i wasn't fully committed and i started drinking again because, i did ever truly admit that i was an alcoholic.
it didn't dawn on me until my girlfriend of almost two years through me out because of my drinking.
i didn't seek any help last time. I've started a 12 step program with a sponsor. i don't know if i can patch things up with the girl, but i know i need to change myself. I'm open to any suggestions.
I'm trying to stay busy, but i have a broken ankle, which is preventing me from going back to work, exercising, or doing much of anything physical, to help take my mind off of everything going on.
thanks for any suggestions.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds a lot like the situation I was in. For me I would quit to get my wife back and then once i had what i wanted i would go back to sneaking drinks. I finally had to resolve to do it for myself, and that’s when the sobriety really stuck. I’m not saying that’s your situation, but that was my experience. It sounds like you’re on the right path and nine days is something to be proud of. If you can’t do anything physically then I would stay on the boards or get to some meetings if possible. Video games really helped occupy a lot of time for me. That two month mark is right around the corner, and once you get past that again just keep at it. Reward yourself with a big bowl of ice cream or something lol. Either way keep up the great work!
Old 01-14-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

9 days of sobriety is great!

I'm sorry you've broken your ankle as that will restrict your activities.

We do have a great reading list, if you are interested:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome smc

I spent a lot of time here my first few weeks - you could do worse
Hope to see you around some more

D
Old 01-15-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
smc

thanks everyone.
lenono17,
Im glad she pushed me out in away. as much as i want to pick up the phone and call. i know i need to recover. I know if i call now, I'm not fully focusing on recovery. If its meant to be, she will have waited for me. if not, i guess it wasn't meant to be. Not talking to her and not drinking is hard. Its the first time I've deal with a loss without picking up a drink. I've always picked up a drink when i lose something as a way to run away from my problems.
thanks
Old 01-15-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, smc.

Stay close. You will find an abundance of support, understanding and encouragement here - wisdom, too.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smc83 View Post
thanks everyone.
lenono17,
Im glad she pushed me out in away. as much as i want to pick up the phone and call. i know i need to recover. I know if i call now, I'm not fully focusing on recovery. If its meant to be, she will have waited for me. if not, i guess it wasn't meant to be. Not talking to her and not drinking is hard. Its the first time I've deal with a loss without picking up a drink. I've always picked up a drink when i lose something as a way to run away from my problems.
thanks
Hang in there. Great work so far. We are always here to chat.