SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/421885-day-3-a.html)

ProfessorD 01-14-2018 06:09 AM

Day 3

Today is technically my third day being sober. It's not hard for me to string together a week or even a couple of weeks. For some reason, it's around the third week or so that I have trouble: it's like I forget how bad it can be, I feel too stressed, or I just feel like I deserve more. Hoping to be sober today, and change this cycle. I intend to be accountable in this forum this time.

Anyone else have lots of false starts?

Zanna 01-14-2018 06:17 AM

I had loads of false starts, but then one day it stuck - just over a year ago now :) Hang in there.

PalmerSage 01-14-2018 06:18 AM

I've had more false starts than I can count (only on day 27 this time, but I feel like something has definitely clicked and shifted in the right direction). One of the reasons I relapsed was because I romanticized drinking and viewed NOT drinking as deprivation. Now, I never allow myself to think about drinking without conjuring up my absolute worst memories of it. I can't continue to associate drinking with relief, relaxation, and fun when ultimately it brought me sickness, anxiety, depression, and hopelessness, you know?

Congrats on 3 days. Come join us in the January class! :)

ProfessorD 01-14-2018 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by PalmerSage (Post 6746699)
Now, I never allow myself to think about drinking without conjuring up my absolute worst memories of it. I can't continue to associate drinking with relief, relaxation, and fun when ultimately it brought me sickness, anxiety, depression, and hopelessness, you know?

That's exactly what I need to do! Thanks for articulating it so well!

resolute50 01-14-2018 06:52 AM

I did,even had one last for months after a yer and a half sober.
But, this July will be 5 years.
You really have to be determined to quit and work hard for it.
You can do it!!

ProfessorD 01-14-2018 07:59 AM

Thanks, resolute

JustTony 01-14-2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorD (Post 6746686)

Literally hundreds. I couldn't go more than 28 days on any one attempt.

This time I am using SR daily and I am about to finish Day 43

Rockfish75 01-14-2018 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorD (Post 6746686)
Today is technically my third day being sober. It's not hard for me to string together a week or even a couple of weeks. For some reason, it's around the third week or so that I have trouble: it's like I forget how bad it can be, I feel too stressed, or I just feel like I deserve more. Hoping to be sober today, and change this cycle. I intend to be accountable in this forum this time.

These words serve as a warning to me. My first time (and only) quitting. I haven't had it as bad as others from what I can see. Nearly two weeks now. Need to never forget the reasons why we stopped in first place. Apathy can creep in. Keep It up Prof
Best wishes R

Anna 01-14-2018 01:45 PM

Great job on getting through Day 3!

Maybe you can come up with some healthy ways to deal with stress and anxiety that comes along. You can do this!

Hevyn 01-14-2018 01:51 PM

Congrats on your Day 3 Professor.

Yes, quite a few false starts before I crashed & burned so badly I could no longer pretend I had any control. Once I had 3 yrs. & still managed to tell myself I could still have 'a couple' if I used enough willpower. I often wish I'd kept a journal & recorded all the misery, confusion, dangerous things I did while under the influence. My selective memory told me it was fun, relaxing, rewarding, etc. - as PalmerSage mentioned.