SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Trying this sobriety thing, again (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/421873-trying-sobriety-thing-again.html)

DadOfThree 01-14-2018 02:51 AM

Trying this sobriety thing, again

I am going sober, again. This time for me, not because someone asked me to. I was sober for 74 days, until Nov 20. I then went on a binge like never before. I would drink till it hurt, and keep on going. I drank every waking moment for 7days straight, missed an entire weeks work. It got so bad that I was scaring myself. This time I'm ready. I woke up the other day and was just done.

Dee74 01-14-2018 03:02 AM

Welcome to SR DadOfThree :)

D

ChloeRose63 01-14-2018 03:06 AM

Welcome, DadOfThree!
Sounds like you finally "flipped the switch"! Good for you and good for those 3 babies that need a real Dad!:)

August252015 01-14-2018 04:31 AM

Glad you are here!

Rar 01-14-2018 04:39 AM

Welcome DadofThree. :)

Hawkeye13 01-14-2018 05:43 AM

Welcome back--doing it for yourself is critical.

Next thing is to make a plan to deal with temptations, etc.

A doctor's appointment to get safely off the alcohol would be a great first step.

You can do this!

LBrain 01-14-2018 08:47 AM

Welcome.

"Trying this sobriety THING..."

Disco is dead my friend. It tries to make a comeback in various forms over the years, but it was just a thing back then.

I know a few people who had tried rock climbing over the years, but it was just a thing at the time.

Sobriety is not a "thing", it is not a fad and it is certainly not like taking a vacation to an exotic destination once very few years.

Sobriety is way of life - and I don't mean like joining a program and becoming part of some sober society. I mean living sober. My wife never had an alcohol problem - except me - and she decided to live a sober life. She got drunk one time and didn't like it, so there was no need to do it again. She is not 'trying' it, she is living it. She didn't need to quit as did many of us who 'needed' to for our own good. And it's not a 'thing' for her or ANY of us who have realized the commitment to sobriety is a life long way of living. She is a non-drinker as am I. However, for me it was definitely a need and not just something to take a whirl at - a thing at the time. I just thought I would throw that into the conversation because when I hear it phrased in that manner it seems to me a whimsical thought. I assure you it shouldn't be taken so lightly as to be referred to as a "thing".

SnazzyDresser 01-14-2018 09:04 AM

Good for you, DadOfThree. You don't need that stuff, as you've proven with your previous 74 day streak. Full steam ahead!

The sobriety thing beats the being-a-drunk thing all to hell, that's for sure.

theVman31 01-14-2018 10:06 AM

Welcome to the community.

Time to nip it in the bud. Cause next time and the time after that it will be scarier still.

"would drink till it hurt, and keep on going. I drank every waking moment for 7days straight, missed an entire weeks work. It got so bad that I was scaring myself."

MariahGayle 01-14-2018 10:11 AM

Welcome dadof3.....great place for support & encouragement! A decision you’ll never regret!