Notices

New to this and would love to hear your stories

Old 01-14-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New to this and would love to hear your stories

I am about 30 hours sober! I was drinking right about 2 bottles of wine a day/night and I am ready to quit and move on with my life and leave this in the past. I have to say that I felt ok today , I could not eat much and was pretty tired but now that it is in the middle of the night I can not sleep. I also woke up with some strong stomach cramping. Is this normal? I am a little nervous that tomorrow is when I will start to feel anxious and want to have 4-8 drinks to calm my nerves. I would love tips on how to make it through your first week. Has anyone been documenting their recovery symptoms? Would love for you to share!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Selcme5

you've actually posted in our chat admin forum - not the chat room

our chat room portal is here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/achat.php

I'll also move this thread to our Newcomers forum where you'll find more response

Insomnia is pretty normal, but I never had cramps.
The community here @ SR really got me through those anxious first weeks, which is very common for a lot of us.

I know you'll find help and support here too

D
Old 01-14-2018, 01:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SELCME5 View Post
I am about 30 hours sober! I was drinking right about 2 bottles of wine a day/night and I am ready to quit and move on with my life and leave this in the past. I have to say that I felt ok today , I could not eat much and was pretty tired but now that it is in the middle of the night I can not sleep. I also woke up with some strong stomach cramping. Is this normal? I am a little nervous that tomorrow is when I will start to feel anxious and want to have 4-8 drinks to calm my nerves. I would love tips on how to make it through your first week. Has anyone been documenting their recovery symptoms? Would love for you to share!
There is so much to consider. Are you a binge drinker? How many withdrawals have you gone through? Are you alone, does your Dr. know?

First thing first your safety.
Once you have Dr. assistance, then it's game on!!!!
We are here and have the support and advice to get you through your new life. Remember :

Hey, never underestimate a recovering alcoholic. We fight for our lives everyday in ways most people will never understand. We have to remember that when your past calls don't answer it.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome.
Well done for joining.

I also get stomach problems in withdrawal. Mainly acid and ulcers. Probably a bit of panic too.
Sore throat too to the point of not being able to drink water. Greasy skin, massive night sweats, after a day or two of not being able to eat then excessive appetite, anxiety through the roof especially social anxiety, I isolate myself in work, I take vitamins (meds sometimes to sleep)

Grind your teeth and sweat it out.
Water water and water.
Any doubts = Dr.

V.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I had very, VERY severe withdrawal and subsequent PAWS as I was desperately sick when I quit. I've shared specifics plenty of times, and really, IMO things vary person to person - I pretty much had every symptom, pain, suffering etc you could read about or imagine. Spasms, vomiting, displasia, overwhelming fatigue, on and on.

A comforting, imminently useful reminder for me was that it was ALWAYS better than drinking and surely it had to get better, which it did. Now at almost 23 mo sober, it's amazing how healthy and strong I am, what I'm able to do, and how I deal with aches and pains, so to speak, whether they're because I'm 41 or because I was a deathly ill alcoholic. I also have a good team of drs who are part of my healthy life, from my psych who monitors meds I need to my OB GYN whom I actually go see now like I should, and my GP who is there for regular stuff. And that liver dr I don't need to see anymore was important too

Lots of support and stuff I bet you will relate to here- both right when quitting and as you go along! Glad you are here.