Notices

Waking up sober

Old 01-13-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waking up sober

It's Saturday morning. Usually I would have gone out drinking all day yesterday as my son is staying with his grandparents for the night. Instead, I made tacos, a few cups of tea, did some cleaning and then settled in to watch Planet Earth II. I was asleep by 10pm and woke at 7 am. There was no crippling anxiety, no rush to check the messages and see who I drunkenly texted. No nausea or dehydration. These are all so amazing and I am so grateful but...

I do have the slight shadows of a hangover headache. In some ways, my brain feels hungover. I'm not as alert as I have been since getting sober. It's like my body was anticipating me getting drunk. Has that ever happened to anyone?

I know that this too, shall pass, but it's an interesting lingering shadow from my drinking days.

Last edited by LateBloominCait; 01-13-2018 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 01-13-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rar

I know what you mean about the awesomeness of waking up sober. I am only starting my 3rd day, but I also have woken up with a slight headache these last 3 mornings and during the day, it starts again. I believe headache is one of the symptoms of withdrawal. Also, like you, my head feels rather fuzzy, another symptom as our bodies try to rid itself of the alcohol. It clears up and will get better and better every day.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, my brain has been so fuzzy. I keep forgetting words or losing my place while talking. I hope it is just a withdrawal or PAWS symptom. It can be annoying in conversations since I am usually fairly articulate.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

that feeling in the morning is one of the best things I love about being sober. i love feeling clear and cosy in my bed without a care in the world of a morning. .Even when I have the drinking dreams, the relief on waking and realising it was a dream, and not another horror to endure the day after, is too beautiful to put into words! I also felt a little weirded out on the weekends at first, like you say I think our body maybe came to expect the onslaught, so wakes up mentally prepared or the hangover?? After a month I found it went. Good job!
Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get morning headaches too sometimes. For me it is most certainly needing caffeine (not a drug I plan on quitting anytime soon) and dehydration. 1 cup of coffee (my limit) and a big beverage (le croix) and I'm right as rain.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sober mornings are wonderful. They make 5:30 chores much better!

I love a productive weekend, even if that only entails catching up on rest lol. This week kicked my but at work, never take 2 weeks off again!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fuzzy and a headache today here too. But...productive morning. Work, Target, and now about to watch some sports. Life is good.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post thank you

I don't work on Fridays and usually waste the day with a headache and hangover. Yesterday I got so much done then caught up on reading baking etc.

I love getting into clean sheets in bed sober and clear headed then having proper, deep sleep and waking up normally, not with a raging thirst and headache. With peace of mind. My son is away tonight too and usually i would have started on the wine this afternoon. this afternoon I'm readin g and on SR, pottering about .

Happy Sober Saturday