# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 2

last part here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...2018-a-20.html

D
Old 01-13-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh a new thread Thanks Dee. have a lovely weekend.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome fiona Welcome ryry
Old 01-13-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning class. Just checking in - starting day 8. Hope everyone has a great sober weekend.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yesterday Chase mentioned a quote to me "Nothing changes if nothing changes" and this is so true. One of my favorite sayings. I also read something recently that is similar and it says "You will never change your life until you change something you do daily. the secret of your success is found in your daily routine". I really resonate with this. How easy is it to relapse when we just keep doing the same things over and over?

In this spirit, what are things you are changing in your daily routine to help your sobriety?

One big thing for me is I removed the Facebook app from my phone. I ordered 2 self help books yesterday and an audio book. Instead of spending endless amounts of time on Facebook each day I am going to pick up a book instead!
Facebook is a trigger for me, seeing others drinking, posting jokes about drinking etc. It always makes me wish I could be a "normal" drinker like those people. That wish turns into a challenge and the next thing I know I'm drunk. So it has to go. I am putting my sobriety in front of all else.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome ryry.
That's it Andy. I try and eat earlier now and once I've done that drinking is not an option.

kgirl - I often look at those drinkign posts too and think actually I wonder ow many of them are truly happy with their drinking. Who knows deep down maybe they do have issues. Do normal drinkers who have a couple of glasses and think nothing of it really post about their drinking on FB?

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good point ReadyAtLast and you are absolutely right. Even still it fuels my AV to believe they are normal so I can try to be normal, too
Old 01-13-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
Good point ReadyAtLast and you are absolutely right. Even still it fuels my AV to believe they are normal so I can try to be normal, too
Totally fuels me too So does watching anyone on TV having a glass of wine or reading a book and someone pours a glass. I find it really difficult.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good morning class.

Welcome Fiona and ryry.

Glad you came and posted TYG2.

Thanks for the new thread Dee.

Gotta go get ready for bball. I'll check back in later. Not buying beer after the game today! I'm all in for staying sober with you all today!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

WTF indeed TYG.
Evidently something isn't working. Time to re-evaluate your plan and make adjustments. I, for one, thought you were flying it.
Only you know what happened prior to lifting that first can to your mouth.
My reading of the sequence of events:
Day going well;
Helping a friend by reiterating useful post;
Feeling content, sat down for a vape;

From hereon in it's AV all the way;
Thought a beer would be nice;
Indulged in ideation of drinking;
Decided, consciously to do something about it;
Thoughts turn to actions;
Got up, left your house and went into you mum's place;
Stole beers;
Went back to your place and chugged them.

There were many states in this plan (and you can be sure it was a plan that your beast brain had in store for you) when your sobriety tools could have arrested this process.
Make the adjustments my friend. All is not lost. Try to make it a learning.

I think you're a tough cookie and will bounce back even tougher.

TLDR
Messed up.
Evaluate.
Adjust.
Kick addiction's ass.

Two hugs for you.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not proud.
Made it into double didgets and then let my guard down team. I'm beating myself up because those 10 days were the best days in a long time. I let my old habits return, and feel disappointed.
I hope everyone is staying strong this weekend, and having a better day than me. I will not let the beast get the better of me, and I shall stay vigilant this evening when that voice starts. Check in later guys. Hx
Old 01-13-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hello January class of 2018,
I'm popping in from the 2016 January class to say Hi & You Can Do This!
I drank heavily for over 30 years and the last 10 years took me to rock bottom.
SR and our Janny class saved my life. Take care and continue to help each other along. Sending everyone a Big Hug!!
Old 01-13-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
Yesterday Chase mentioned a quote to me "Nothing changes if nothing changes" and this is so true. One of my favorite sayings. I also read something recently that is similar and it says "You will never change your life until you change something you do daily. the secret of your success is found in your daily routine". I really resonate with this. How easy is it to relapse when we just keep doing the same things over and over?

In this spirit, what are things you are changing in your daily routine to help your sobriety?

One big thing for me is I removed the Facebook app from my phone. I ordered 2 self help books yesterday and an audio book. Instead of spending endless amounts of time on Facebook each day I am going to pick up a book instead!
Facebook is a trigger for me, seeing others drinking, posting jokes about drinking etc. It always makes me wish I could be a "normal" drinker like those people. That wish turns into a challenge and the next thing I know I'm drunk. So it has to go. I am putting my sobriety in front of all else.
Hey Kgirl,
I changed everything in my life to get sober. Including FB. I removed the app from my phone and allocated my social media time for SR. FB is a great way to stay in touch with extended family and friends but I figured those people are in my life anyway and if I really care for them and they care for me, we'll be in touch via text or phone. It's worked out well and I now know who my true friends are. FB is a highlight reel of life and an unrealistic one at that. SR saved my life! There is really no comparison.

Take care. You Can Do this!

Last edited by bandicoot2; 01-13-2018 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Meant extended instead of close.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Youcangetthere and TYG, so sorry to here about your stumbles. You are already doing something positive and right though. You came back, held up your hand, said I screwed up, and took responsibility for this setback. How many times I have stumbled and spent much valuable time and effort looking for something external to blame. Work had me stressed, finances were tight, I had a fight with the wife. None of those excuses ever stuck. It always came back to my AV and falling for its dastardly little tricks.

We can think of everything that led up to that first drink as a chain of events. You don’t have to destroy the whole chain. All you have to do is sever one little link and that drink on that day does not happen. It seems a far more manageable task when I look at it this way.

All is not lost. Get up. Dust yourself off and get back in the fight. We are here you.

Bandicoot, thanks for checking in and congrats.
Dee thanks for the new thread.
Everyone, continue to enjoy a great sober weekend.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm checking in this morning before I go to my kids basketball game. I love not being hung over at their Saturday games!

Welcome Newbies!

Have a great Saturday!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Totally agree with Chase and others about severing one link in a long chain; what seems like a quick, 2-step process: not drinking/suddenly drinking is actually much longer and more complex, and can be interrupted many times along the way.

Day 26. Something happened last night that made me think of drinking to escape it, but I thought about the "reason" for drinking...anxiety over an unintentional mistake I made (spoiling a surprise party for someone because I didn't know it was supposed to be a surprise...silly, I know)...and how drinking would only increase my anxiety, while the problem remained. Clearly, not drinking was the right choice. I slept late this morning (past 9, which is completely unheard of) and I'm having a productive day so far.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I accidentally hit the little quote mark button (not the one that says quote, the one next to it). I’m not sure what that means so I hope it wasn’t bad because it was a great message!

I am looking at the big picture this time and changing much more than my beverages. I agree on FB - I gave that up a few years ago, it just wasn’t healthy. I also appreciate the person who said eating earlier - ME TOO. once I’ve eaten it is much easier not to drink.

I am making an effort to reach out and not isolate - so now I am going to meet my cousin for a walk in the woods with our little boys. Everyone have a wonderful, serene sober day and I will look forward to reading your posts
Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fiona224, totally agree that Facebook can be unhealthy (as well as others who mentioned replacing FB with SR, which I have recently started to do). I still check FB, but not nearly as frequently or compulsively as I used to. Tangent: Has anyone seen the movie "The Social Network?" I finally saw it recently, and liked it. I'm all about movie recs these days.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oldie but a goodie...I love this...

Dear Friend,
I have come to visit once again. I love to see you suffer mentally, physically, spiritually, and socially. I want to make you restless so you can never relax. I want to make you jumpy, nervous, and anxious. I want to make you agitated and irritable so everything and everybody makes you uncomfortable.
I want you to be confused and depressed, so that you can't think clearly and positively. I want you to feel guilty and remorseful for the things you have done in the past and you'll never be able to let go of. I want to make you angry and hateful toward the world for the way it is and the way you are. I want you to feel sorry for yourself and blame everything but me for the way things are. I want you to be deceitful and untrustworthy and to manipulate and con as many people as possible. I want to make you feel fearful and paranoid for no reason at all. I want to make you wake up all hours of the night screaming for me. You know you can't sleep without me, I'm even in your dreams. I want to be the first thing you think about every morning and the last thing you think about before you black-out.
I'd rather kill you, but I'd be happy enough to put you back in the hospital, another institution, or jail. But you know that I'll be waiting for you when you get out. I love to watch you slowly go insane. I can't help but sneer and chuckle when you shiver and shake; when you freeze and sweat at the same time; when you wake up with the sheets and blankets soaking wet. It's amusing to watch you ignore yourself; not eating, not sleeping, not even attending your personal hygiene.
Yes, it's amazing how much destruction I can be to your internal organs while at the same time working on your brain, destroying it bit by bit.
I deeply appreciate how much you are sacrificing for me. The countless good jobs you have given up for me; all the friends that you deeply cared for, you gave up for me.
And what's more, the ones you turned yourself against because of your inexcusable actions. I am eternally grateful, especially for the loved ones, family and the more important people in the world that you have turned yourself against. You threw even those away for me!
But do not despair, my friend, for on me you can always depend. After you have lost all these things, you can still depend on me to take even more. You can depend on me to keep you in living HELL, mind, body, and soul. For I will not be satisfied until you ARE DEAD, my friend.
Forever Yours,
Your Addiction
Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi class. Back from bball. It was an off day for our teams. But it was a nice time anyway. I didn't go smoke with the Moms. One of them told me she was proud of me for making the decision to quit. That was nice. I didn't put poison in my lungs, didn't freeze my butt off and sure smell a hell of a lot better than them. So I feel good about that.
Grocery shopped for produce and didn't even glace at the beer aisle. AV is a bit ticked off about that now, boo hoo.

Thank you for posting that Offthemast. I'm printing that out for my sober notebook.

Thinking of you all! I'm gonna knit and listen to an audiobook for a while.