Notices

Craving

Old 01-12-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving

Like clockwork at 4pm it hits. I am hoping someone will respond with something - i dont know what. I try distracting myself, the trouble is that i just get so agitated and cant settle my brain.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you tried changing your routine during that time Fiona?

D
Old 01-12-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is your body crying out for sugar - consider an appropriate sugar fix, donuts, ice cream, whatever. Yes, if you do this every day you will probably gain some weight, but eventually the cravings will be gone and the weight will come off again.
Happened to me: In months 2 and 3 I would have killed whoever stood between me and the fridge where I’ve got my ice cream and now at the 6 month mark: pouff, the cravings are gone, disappeared, evaporated!
Old 01-12-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the 4 o'clock "blues" as well. That was the magic hour when my mind and body wanted that first drink. It was a difficult thing to so, but I had to basically "re-learn" new habits to over come those cravings. What can you do at these times to distract yourself?
Old 01-12-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, and I'm new so maybe my advice is stupid, but sometimes I just do something silly. I can read the Big Book all day and drink water, but if the craving gets too much, nothing like a very bad romance novel to make me laugh. Or YouTube a comedian - and one who is talking about sobriety, even better! Just 10 minutes of distraction so I can regroup and breathe slowly to get through.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JJ9

I second what Mac said. I am on day 12 and had a huge craving starting at 4pm too. I ate a ton and now I am feeling very relaxed. Craving is gone. This is really the first massive craving I have had in 12 days so I’m feeling very blessed.

No matter what don’t drink! You can get through it!! Keep talking to SR. These folks are absolutely amazing!!
Old 01-12-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow. Thank you people, you really, really are helping me! I'm eating some cereal now, that does seem to help. Yes, I think sugar is a big part of it because my drink of choice is beer, lots and lots of those heavy craft beers so I'm not sure I could even replace all those calories with food if I tried! Plus I do need to gain a bit of weight so it is a blessing not to have that worry (yet). I also love to read - so thank you for that wonderful advice! I love cheesy historical romance books - I'm reading one now called "God is an Englishman" (I know - it is ridiculous but such a delicious escape). So that's a fun one. I would really like to read that or one of my recovery books right now, but here's something else that I could use advice on, that seriously, seriously threatens my resolve. It is the tension that will ensue at some point when my husband gets home. It's not a terrible marriage or anything, but I have a very thin skin (co-dependent maybe?). I am so affected by his moods. And he is not very responsible with his moods - for example if he is frustrated, he immediately looks for someone to blame. This is very stressful for me - not so much about myself, but my kids (who are 8 and 10). So these three things derail me all the time - the stress I feel just being so aware of his moods and the tension I feel; 2) How upset I get when he criticizes, blames, plays the victim and so on and 3) My vigilance over my kids, and how I'm so worried about their feelings and moods.
Can anyone offer advice on this?
Thank you so much, kind internet strangers. Thank you. Right now I feel like "why bother, you know you will drink again" but I want to keep this commitment to myself so badly. I want to be free of this, and I want to know that I'm strong enough to do it.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great ideas on cravings here too:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 01-13-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fiona224 View Post
So these three things derail me all the time - the stress I feel just being so aware of his moods and the tension I feel; 2) How upset I get when he criticizes, blames, plays the victim and so on and 3) My vigilance over my kids, and how I'm so worried about their feelings and moods.
Can anyone offer advice on this?
Wow, Fiona, that’s a much thougher one! What has helped me manage stress is meditation - I know with 2 kids it is very hard to find 10-15 minutes of quiet time, but it is well worth it! I can also recommend Eckhart Tolle’s ‘Power of Now’. Has definitely helped me gain a more balanced outlook on life! Not something that is mastered after the first read, but it helps you navigate the waters of your emotions...
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I just wish I had a thicker skin. I’m so tense when my husband is around but I certainly can’t make any major changes right now, no way would I manage to stay sober. I’m just really feeling my anxiety and sadness
Old 01-14-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Fiona - I really understand the stress you feel regarding your husband's moods. Though my husband isn't as bad now as he used to be, I still struggle and am constantly vigilant about my husband's moods. I've lived under this cloud for almost 44 years. Some days my son used to meet me at the door and say, "Dad's on the warpath.". I've let this situation affect me to my detriment, such as resuming smoking after I had quit, having a drink when I have quit. Perhaps I used it as an excuse that he "made me do it." Anyway, it only hurts me. I just wanted you to know I understand. The only solution I know of is to look after your own well being and try to soothe your children. They will learn pretty quickly to go to their room, outside, etc. and get out of his way. Good Luck!