Notices

Why Today?

Old 11-01-2004, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
young, angry, and poor...

Why Today?

Not feeling so good right now.....I've been reading everybodys posts and have been trying to stay positive but its just not working. Everyone says just for today, but what makes today any different? Every other day in my life for as long as I can remember has been nothing but failure and pain and so why should today be any different? After all its so much easier to just give up and pick up a bottle. I can't help but think that a hangover has to feel better than all these doubts and pain from all my mistakes.....I guess thats why I'm still here because I don't want today to be another mistake to make me regret tomorrow. So just for today I'll not drink, just for today I'll be sober, even if it kills me, no matter how much it hurts right now. Just for today I'll be strong enough to face my pain, just for today I'll buckle down and deal with my problems, just for today I'll pay bills instead of getting drunk. Just for today....

layne

I was gonna take a valium but I couldn't get my teeth unclenched....
Old 11-01-2004, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Layne,
Just for today, I hope that some small wonder touches your life and gives you the strength and hope that you need to get to your next good place.
Sending some light your way,
Gabe
Old 11-01-2004, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Layne)))

Sorry that you feel so bad. It does get better, though. We say just for today, or one day at a time, because that is all we have. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. Just don't drink, no matter what. It will get better in a few days.

Sherry
Old 11-01-2004, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

(((((((((Seriously)))))))))) It gets better. It really does. Sherry already said it very well, but I will say it again. Why today? Because today is all we have. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not here yet. All we have is right now, this moment. And soon, it too, will be gone. Hang in there.

Hugs--
Old 11-01-2004, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

mood swing anyone?

you guys are all great, I'm definately feeling better and am very very glad that I found this place....so just for today I'm smilin' and feelin' good. Every body give yourselves a pat on the back cause....
Old 11-01-2004, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so so glad you are here. I was exactly where you were at one point. I couldn't see the reward at the end of the tunnel. I spent all my time convincing myself it wasn't worth it because I was left with all the pain I had caused. Just by you being here you are making the right choice. Give it some time and you will start to see past the pain. You already rock because you are here. Give yourself a pat on the back!!
Old 11-01-2004, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today is Cash Money

Hi All,

Yesterday is a cahed check -----Tommoro is a promisary note

Today is Cash Money----------Spend the money

Go have some fun, go to a meeting, try getting out of your self !

Most of us are sooooooo self centered that We need to turn our
thoughts and Actions -- (God), into helping somebody !

Love and service

morgan
Old 11-01-2004, 10:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. You're not doing what you used to. You're sober. Therefore, things will change; but maybe not as fast as you want.
Time is God's way of preventing everything from happening at once. If anyone (me) knew at age 18 everything that was going to happen by age 45, I couldn't handle it. I'd suicide. No joke.
What am I doing today to change the bad things? What am I doing today to enhance and encourage the good things? What am I doing different in thought, word and deed?
If the answer is nothing, then I get what I deserve. Dammit.
What makes today different? * * * YOU DO! * * *
Get at it.
" I was gonna take a Valium but I couldn't get my teeth unclenched!" LOVE IT! Laughed til I cried!
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Layne

It sounds like you've really got it. That's fantastic!!

One other thing you can do today. Tell yourself that for today, you are the happiest person in the world. Write it down somewhere you can see it. Believe it, act like it and just have a blast!!

It works.

Keep on keepin' on.

Rich
Old 11-02-2004, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Layne,

Maybe it would help if you looked into the future a little. I know everyone advises us "just for today," but I find that sometimes I envision getting on the computer tomorrow and telling all of the wonderful people here that I made it another day. I also think about Thanksgiving holiday coming up - I have even started a dinner/grocery list, and think about my 4 days off work with family here, cooking, talking, enjoying the holiday because I have been good. If "just for today" doesn't cut it for you, maybe you could try my approach.

Good luck!

Sherry Lassie
Old 11-02-2004, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Learning To Let It Be

Just For Today allows us to keep things more tangible. We don't have to imagine a lifetime of being clean, only today. If today seems like a lot, how about right now? I've clawed my way to my current clean time, day by day, sometimes hour by hour, minute by minute, or even second by second. As long as you don't take that first one, you never have to quit again. All things pass and this too shall. Keep coming and welcome!

'Let it be.'

One life you got to do what you should...
Old 11-03-2004, 05:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Guy's,
Just wanted to check back in with everybody and tell you all that I really appreciate all of you and I'm really glad that I've found this place. I'm still here and I'm still sober. I feel like an emotional trainwreck though, and I'm having a really hard time keeping my anger in check and my expectations of other people seem to be whacked out. I don't understand this insanity and I wish that I could just let it go, and sometimes it seems so easy to just give up. But I keep coming back because just for today I want to be a better person than I have been in the past. Just for today I want to take steps toward a better future. Just for today I want to make it through sober and happy. Is that too much to ask of myself? Oh well gotta go to work, thanks for letting me vent and for being here. I love you all and wish you all another 24.
Layne
Old 11-03-2004, 11:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

my expectations of other people seem to be whacked out.
Expecting anything from others does tend to make us feel whacked out.
Good to see you are still striving. Working the 12 steps with a sponsor will help us get through all the emotions and help us find growth all the more.
Yesterday is gone. We can fix what we can fix. Make amends where we can make amends and we can take the lessons learned with us into tomorrow.
Todays lessons learned will bring a better tomorrow. Yes sober sure is better.