Notices

Retread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Retread

I've been sober for 8 years, then 7 years, 4 years off the wagon, I relapsed with 2 drinks from a bottle over 2 months ago, and relapsed last Saturday and last night. I've got bad numbers from labs of my liver, so I have good reason to stay sober if I don't want to die a drunk.
I'm tired of meetings and having to be away from home for them. I'm currently looking into SMART recovery, and Rational Recovery. If any of you have experience with either of these, I'd love to hear your experience.
This is my 1st time on a chat room.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have only tried AA, but I wanted to say welcome! You will find a lot of support here.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Optijewel - welcome

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including SMART:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you also visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SMART is good, less meetings than AA as it is newer. The hand book that you can order online is good too and is CBT based so provides real world help to getting sober. I have no experience with Rational Recovery so won’t be able to comment on that one.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've ordered books about AVRT and the Rational Recovery program. I also purchased the SMART Recovery book. I will say that the desire to drink or use nicotine has been lifted. I am a non-drinker and non-nicotine user.