Notices

What to do when you come down from the high?

Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do when you come down from the high?

I’ve been runnin high for 11 days now and I just posted about being super hyper which I’m assuming is part of the high and extra energy, so now I’m left being really nervous in he anticipation of the come down. I have read that the bad feeling will pass just as the good feelings do, however with no pressure or encouragement to stopping my drinking from family I’m wondering how you stayed strong? Or advice as to how to stick with it and make being done really real.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Readygo View Post
...how to stick with it and make being done really real.
This last attempt at quitting was it for me. It had to be. The difference between this and all the other failed attempts was this time I was really committed to sobriety. And not sobriety for as long as I was "high" on recovery, but committed through the tough, emotional times, through the relentless obsession to drink, through the anger and resentment that I couldn't drink. I wasn't drinking and I wasn't changing my mind.

Any thoughts of drinking was the insanity of alcoholism and not to be listened to, or obeyed.

While I wasn't drinking I was addressing the issues that was at the root of my drinking. I had to learn to live sober. As the obsession to drink decreased, the blessings of sobriety revealed themselves. Seven and a half years without a drink. And no regrets.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had the same issue before in the past. I totally agree with what doggonecarl said about it having to be for yourself. I have also found that "making a plan" as they say, is the best way to prepare for the moments when you aren't feeling strong. For me that has meant checking into outpatient treatment and finding a few AA meetings to attend each week. I am also getting better at "playing the tape forward" if I have an urge to drink which means I think about how I will feel when I am really drunk or when I wake up hungover, anxious and filled with self loathing. It has gotten easier as the days tick by.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One thing I did that bolstered my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. Keep a list of everything you're thankful for. It's a good way to focus on the positive.

Here's an article about how being grateful makes us happier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 01-11-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
One thing I did that bolstered my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. Keep a list of everything you're thankful for. It's a good way to focus on the positive.

Here's an article about how being grateful makes us happier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
This article is amazing!!!!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
This last attempt at quitting was it for me. It had to be. The difference between this and all the other failed attempts was this time I was really committed to sobriety. And not sobriety for as long as I was "high" on recovery, but committed through the tough, emotional times, through the relentless obsession to drink, through the anger and resentment that I couldn't drink. I wasn't drinking and I wasn't changing my mind.

Any thoughts of drinking was the insanity of alcoholism and not to be listened to, or obeyed.

While I wasn't drinking I was addressing the issues that was at the root of my drinking. I had to learn to live sober. As the obsession to drink decreased, the blessings of sobriety revealed themselves. Seven and a half years without a drink. And no regrets.
I want to be committed so badly, and right now I am but I know how things can change and I’m so dreading that part. I have never been so driven and that’s why this time is different but I know when the rose colored glasses come off things can change. I just really really pray they don’t!!!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LateBloominCait View Post
I have had the same issue before in the past. I totally agree with what doggonecarl said about it having to be for yourself. I have also found that "making a plan" as they say, is the best way to prepare for the moments when you aren't feeling strong. For me that has meant checking into outpatient treatment and finding a few AA meetings to attend each week. I am also getting better at "playing the tape forward" if I have an urge to drink which means I think about how I will feel when I am really drunk or when I wake up hungover, anxious and filled with self loathing. It has gotten easier as the days tick by.
I think I will look for the prep plans I can make. I really could see that being my safety net.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

what if you choose to get excited about sobriety?