Notices

Hoping this doesn't backfire

Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hoping this doesn't backfire

Right now I am allowing myself to eat a lot more thank I typically would since I am quitting alcohol. In stead of looking forward to drinking I am looking forward to M&M's and ice cream.

I was an extreme anorexic in my late teens. I was hospitalized at 60 lbs and it's kind of remarkable I made it. Then I ballooned up to 250 lbs in a matter of years. Over time I've gotten myself to a very healthy weight and am very fit because I exercise daily (and did exercise before I permitted myself to drink).

I don't want to trade one problem for another. I am on day 4.

Thank you!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I threw my 'diet' out the window when I stopped drinking. I'd like to drop about 15lbs before pool/lake season,but I'll start working on that next week.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Chowchow,
Forewarned is forearmed, so hopefully this will help: This will NOT resolve itself within a week or so, be prepared for a 3-6 month’s battle. Now that you’ve quit, multiple factors will drive a TEMPORARY weight gain: Alcoholics are typically dehydrated, so you’ll add a few pounds because your body’s finally properly hydrated (that’s a good thing!). Secondly, you will crave sugar, because your body misses the calories from your alcohol intake. Last, but not least, you probably don’t skip meals anymore and have a ‘healthier’ appetite - also a good thing, but I also understand that this is a concern for somebody that has a history of anorexia.

A few things I’d like to suggest:
- If possible, try not to obsess over your weight; step on the scales once a week, not daily
- Don’t use weight as your guide, but body fat%, so you can track how your body changes to the better even if your weights stays the same or even increases in the beginning
- keep up your daily exercise routine, maybe you can increase it by 10 or 20% to offset some of the weight gain?
- remember that giving in to the sugar cravings gives you good protection from alcohol cravings later in the evening, so be willing to lose many, many battles to win the war!

Also, here’s what will happen: one day 3-6 months from now you’ll wake up and your cravings will be gone for good! Whatever excess weight you’ll have accumulated, you should be able to get rid of it again in 3-6 months, but now you’re also on solid footing with your sobriety!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Boxer

Hang tough ChowChow, you got this��