Notices

111 days sobriety 7 days drunk now 8 sober days

Old 01-10-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great ideas on what a recovery action plan might look for you, here dustitoffman

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 01-11-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee😉
Old 01-11-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dustitoff,

My first crash was at age 46, about where you are at now. I had a high profile job with a fancy title, and thought that I couldn't be an alcoholic because I was professionally successful. And for years I thought it was ok to have a couple of drinks after work to relax. I knew however that my drinking behavior was actually a lot more than that, but we all tell ourselves lies when we are in denial. Then while on vacation I needed my wife to take me to the hospital for a medical detox after a 3 - 4 day bender. For the first time I admitted to myself, and my wife, that I was an alcoholic.

After that, somehow I was able to quit drinking for over 5 years. But then I got complacent, thought I was cured, or more mature or whatever, and tried to drink in moderation. That did not work, and my drinking was quickly back to the worst level it had ever been. I spent the next year trying to get sober again. I was about 52 at the time, and the hangovers were so miserable, I would drink a couple of beers in the morning to ease the shakes. That was a new, unwelcome, development. I would stay sober for a couple of weeks and then, Bang, off on another 3 day bender.

After a year of struggling, I found this place. I also swallowed my foolish pride and hauled my butt to an AA meeting. The combination of those two things, along with a couple of other behavioral changes got me sober again.

At first I was scared to death and measured my sobriety in hours and days. Now I'm happy, free and at peace with myself and measure my sobriety in years (and I'm coming up on 8). You can get here too!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Zebra
Thanks for sharing.
8 years that is some amazing time that you have put back in to living life fully.
Well done you! 😀
It's weird but I have been reading posts and answering some with my own personal experience, however it is dawning on me that my experience is more from the other side of the fence. I am indeed a relative virgin to sobriety despite many attempts. My foolish dabble with the devil at xmas a testament to this.
My intention is to remain sober on a permanent basis. I do not want to look back in anger upon my life because all that came before was by choice and just not being aware of what was really happening.
I can never say that again. I am aware of where I stand right now. I have been given a slap in the face the wake up call and I will be a fool if I do not chose life. I will!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Glad that you have realized that you do have a choice.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dustitoffman View Post
it is dawning on me that my experience is more from the other side of the fence. I am indeed a relative virgin to sobriety
Welcome, DMan...this site plays a crucial role in maintaining the sobriety of a whole bunch of people. I'm a big fan: my join date shows how much I love it here (I've been sober for 10 months...)

Based on your quote above, I can whole-heartedly recommend posting in the Class of January Support Thread 2018; find it on the "front page" of Newcomers to Sobriety (where we are now), go to the Last Page, and introduce yourself. Everyone posting there is a "relative virgin" to sobriety. Joining a class made a huge difference for me: I started posting every day, got well acquainted with a small group of people, still feel totally at home there...

Not to imply you should only post there! But it really did help me immensely this time around the sober block.

I wish you well; you sound pretty determined to quit!
Old 01-12-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

ChloeR and Arpeggioh

Thank you!
I will give the Class of Jan a go.
Arpeggioh well done on the 10 months, humbugs I'm back on 12 days but watch out cos I'm looking to catch up!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by Dustitoffman View Post
I do not want to look back in anger upon my life because all that came before was by choice and just not being aware of what was really happening.
This was one of the things that drove home the need for me to get sober. I knew how mad I would be at myself if I let it get to the point of too late, no return.

Whatever regrets I may have on my death bed, sobriety won't be one of them.