Notices

Weight Gain

Old 01-07-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight Gain

Today marks 40 days sober for me..but I am experiencing weight gain! I have gained about 6 lb. I dont think my eating habits are different than before (drinking) and I expected weight loss if anything. Afterall, I am no longer drinking empty calories. Has anyone else experienced this?!
Old 01-07-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have! I am only 2 weeks sober, and I have gained 5lbs. BUT I have changed my eating habits. When I drink, I don't eat. I would actually loose weight when I went on a binge.

Keep eating healthy and try to do some exercise. My thoughts are even if I gain some weight, it's better than being drunk and hungover!
Old 01-07-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep! I gained around 30-35lbs my first year after getting sober and that was while exercising! The way I figured it, staying sober long enough to make it my new lifestyle was priority one. Being hungry weakens your willpower and can lead to making bad choices. Once I was more confident about my sobriety I started to cut back and lose the weight. Wasn’t easy, but much much easier than quitting alcohol. Hope that’s of any help!
Old 01-07-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Re

Oh wow, 35 lb. The really bad thing is, I suffered from anorexia/bulimia for years..until the point i got pregnant with my daughter 10 years ago. From there, after having her, my drinking picked up..and I did not focus so much on weight. I ate as I pleased with zero weight gain. Now im nervous. I cant get back into that eating disorder life style. Thats not going to work. I have a drs appointment tomorrow (also take thyroid meds for hypothroidsm)..perhaps i should bring up my concerns.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It can vary from person to person. Weight gain can be from not eating which is common while drinking, also the booze tears up your stomach and intestines making it hard for them to absorb any food that is eaten.
Much of it also can be from simple water weight as most all alcoholics are severely dehydrated.
Either way great work on 40 days and keep it up!
Old 01-07-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
It can vary from person to person. Weight gain can be from not eating which is common while drinking, also the booze tears up your stomach and intestines making it hard for them to absorb any food that is eaten.
Much of it also can be from simple water weight as most all alcoholics are severely dehydrated.
Either way great work on 40 days and keep it up!
Perhaps you are right! I have been drinking alot more water. Also, i dont feel ive gained weight..my stomach actually looks slimmer and not bloated! Maybe i need to not stand on the scale daily!
Old 01-07-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I did go sober October I gained weight. I realised after a month it was because I was craving and eating much more sugar than normal probably replacing all that hidden alcoholic sugar that I didn’t realise I was addicted to, worth thinking about. I craved ginger beer weirdly!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I craved sugar when I quit and still eat too much of it, mainly chocolate! I've gained around 7lbs. I lost almost 4 stones a couple of years ago, I worked hard to get there, so I'm not liking this weight gain. But as someone else said, I'm going to accept it, it is better to quit the booze than be a bit lighter/thinner, I can get the weight back off easier than I can quit booze again.

(That is 7lbs since the end of sept last year.)
Old 01-07-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My guess? You where chronically dehydrated before and your body is loving being able to hang on to the water right now. I bet it will even itself out soon if you keep up your usual diet. I know I was dehydrated most of the time.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobriety2018 View Post
Maybe i need to not stand on the scale daily!
Now you're talkin'! Put the scale away, stay away from the booze, and keep on your path!
Old 01-07-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

Yep I’ve gained about 10 in 2 weeks. After working my ass off to lose 40 last year.
But all I do is eat now. I’m still working out but it doesn’t help.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well that kinda sucks I was hoping I gained the 20kgs because of drinking, but i also take medication. still working on quitting i have cut down but am still drinking
Old 01-07-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Personally.. I could stand to drop 10-20lbs,depending on what your going for before pool/lake season(I'll get there like always),but just ordered a bunch of pizza,wings and some other dessert things for the game/night(have a few people over). Beats the hell outta sitting at a bar/home drinking my calories.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I gained a bunch of weight. I just hit 5 months sober on Saturday. Saw my doctor about a week and a half ago and he said that quitting was the best thing for me and we can deal with the weight. I agree. I would have never worked out while drinking! Once this arctic weather breaks, I can lose the weight.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Sobriety

Last time I had a good length sobriety (304 years) I found I put on weight for the first six months (I couldn't understand how either!) but then I started losing it again and ended up a lot lighter than I started. I went from about 90kg up to somewhere between 95 and 10kg, but then dropped down to 80kg slowly without every really trying.

But mostly, well done on 40 days. That sounds a brilliant start. I hope to be there in 36 days time
Old 01-08-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I first stopped drinking, my weight stayed the same but I'm finding at 5 months sober that the weight is starting to come off even with my sugar habit!