Notices

It’s been 2 week...

Old 01-06-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

It’s been 2 week...

And I feel like that’s about all I have.
I think I’ll make it one more week but next weekend I’ll drink.
I just can’t take the depression and constant eating anymore.
The fact I’m gaining weight is making me more depressed.
I’m gaining weight despite walking everywhere and going to the gym.

Anyways, I’m just losing home right now and I’m just so, so sad.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're doing great.
You're sober
Walking
Going to the gym

Now, my experience with working out and diet change is that I gain muscle faster than losing fat, so the scale is evil and it goes up and down all the time. I judge my success with how I feel, energized, sluggish and how my clothes fit.

You can do this
You can stay sober
You can be happy
You can love yourself

Give it time.

It took me 3 months of eating sweets, not working out and working on my mental state before I could even think of the physical. I was drained, tired, not sleeping to over sleeping.

Slow and steady wins the races!!

Last edited by DreamCatcher17; 01-06-2018 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Word correction, can't was supposed to be CAN
Old 01-06-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a snacker.

Stock up on fruits veges salads and nuts - things like that - avoid the complex sugars of snack food and add a little regular exercise and I'll be surprised if you don't lose at least a little weight.

Have you thought about seeing someone about your depression anarock - seems like a better step forward than going back to drinking....they maybe able to help more with the constant eating ans weight gain too?

D
Old 01-06-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
I think I’ll make it one more week but next weekend I’ll drink.
keep in mind ...

its the 1st drink that gets us drunk not the 20th

we cant get drunk without that 1st drink

our choice is between miserable unhappy drunken drinking and all the consequences

or

not taking 1 drink

God bless

Old 01-06-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Depression is hard - but one thing I know for sure is drinking makes depression worse. In a previous attempt at sobriety after a while sober my tablets started working for the first time in 30 years. The other thing I found hugely helpful was self care and yoga.
Your mind is trying to trick you into believing you cant do it - dont let it play games with you and use your power to push ahead with further sobriety.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm a snacker.

Stock up on fruits veges salads and nuts - things like that - avoid the complex sugars of snack food and add a little regular exercise and I'll be surprised if you don't lose at least a little weight.

Have you thought about seeing someone about your depression anarock - seems like a better step forward than going back to drinking....they maybe able to help more with the constant eating ans weight gain too?

D
Regular exercise?
I walk to work, the gym and home 5 times a week. I see a personal trainer. Is that not enough?
I will not lose weight. I’ve always eaten healthy UNTIL I gave up alcohol. Now I’m just a depressed, eating 2500 calories a day ****** person.
I am filling in paperwork next week to see if the addiction counsellor will take me on.
I’ve been told not to get my hopes up as my problem is not as bad as others.
I only drink every 2 weeks. By every day and night. I don’t do any drugs. I already go to AA. To most people I’m okay.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow two weeks is awesome. Im on day 13. very grateful to be through the "physical" part of the agony.
I'd rather be a little chubby than a drunk. I also agree with walking does wonders for the endorphins. Once it warms up where I live I will be walking every day. I will be able to commit because I will not be deathly sick due to a hangover. Plus I am not drinking a bazillion calories that turns into sugar.
I hope you feel better soon. The reality for me now is if I don't get sober I don't have a chance of getting anything worthwhile in my life back. I lost everything. I am depressed but I need to stop digging this hole. These boards have helped me tremendously. Im depressed but I am not feeling the gut wretching doom. Congrats on 2 weeks that is pretty cool.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Jtmlk View Post
Depression is hard - but one thing I know for sure is drinking makes depression worse. In a previous attempt at sobriety after a while sober my tablets started working for the first time in 30 years. The other thing I found hugely helpful was self care and yoga.
Your mind is trying to trick you into believing you cant do it - dont let it play games with you and use your power to push ahead with further sobriety.
What tablets?
Am I missing something?
I take anxiety meds which are the same as depression meds. Still depressed and I know it’s not real. It’s just being sober. I’m bored.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
Wow two weeks is awesome. Im on day 13. very grateful to be through the "physical" part of the agony.
I'd rather be a little chubby than a drunk. I also agree with walking does wonders for the endorphins. Once it warms up where I live I will be walking every day. I will be able to commit because I will not be deathly sick due to a hangover. Plus I am not drinking a bazillion calories that turns into sugar.
I hope you feel better soon. The reality for me now is if I don't get sober I don't have a chance of getting anything worthwhile in my life back. I lost everything. I am depressed but I need to stop digging this hole. These boards have helped me tremendously. Im depressed but I am not feeling the gut wretching doom. Congrats on 2 weeks that is pretty cool.
It’s cold here too but I have no other way to get around so it’s walking and the gym for weights and hard cardio for me.
I’d rather not be obese than drunk.
My eating disorder has always and will always have me wired that way.
I hate eating in general and now I can’t stop.
I didn’t have any physical symptoms. Only physiological.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

tablets are a UK term for pills.

there is more to recovery than two weeks. it is not possible to even consider anything in 14 days to have any lasting effect or result. not een at 3 months, 6 months. recovery is a long term proposition.....we don't get the benefits til we've put in some time.

same with temporary weight gain. or loss. the body needs TIME to make corrections. nothing is immediate.

give time time.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
Regular exercise?
I walk to work, the gym and home 5 times a week. I see a personal trainer. Is that not enough?
I will not lose weight. I’ve always eaten healthy UNTIL I gave up alcohol. Now I’m just a depressed, eating 2500 calories a day ****** person.
I am filling in paperwork next week to see if the addiction counsellor will take me on.
I’ve been told not to get my hopes up as my problem is not as bad as others.
I only drink every 2 weeks. By every day and night. I don’t do any drugs. I already go to AA. To most people I’m okay.
I'm sorry - too many members - I can't remember everyone's backstory Anarock.

I was making general remarks.
Sorry to upset you - definitely not intended

I'm sure you probably know better than me that with regular shocks to the system like binge drinking sometimes the body will go into survival mode and store the fat.

It's pretty common with alcoholics etc.

I just wanna add that although I understand depression and comfort eating crap food just made my depression worse.

It was exactly like when I tried to medicate my anxiety with alcohol.
It just made things worse.

Maybe seeing a Dr will help. I hope you can get in soon.

In my experince you need to really lay it out for them.

Don't be afraid to be honest even blunt about your problem and your pressing need for help.

D
Old 01-06-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry - too many members - I can't remember everyone's backstory Anarock.

I was making general remarks.
Sorry to upset you - definitely not intended

I'm sure you probably know better than me that with regular shocks to the system like binge drinking sometimes the body will go into survival mode and store the fat.

It's pretty common with alcoholics etc.

I just wanna add that although I understand depression and comfort eating crap food just made my depression worse.

It was exactly like when I tried to medicate my anxiety with alcohol.
It just made things worse.

Maybe seeing a Dr will help. I hope you can get in soon.

In my experince you need to really lay it out for them.

Don't be afraid to be honest even blunt about your problem and your pressing need for help.

D
I’m sorry. I’m just not doing good. I shouldn’t be online when I’m like this.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's only been two weeks. Give it more time. And just because the road is rough, doesn't mean it will always be rough. Things change. Going back to drinking would be a big mistake. Please give sobriety more time to even out.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

No grudges here Anarock . I'm sorry you're hurting.

D
Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

. I already go to AA. To most people I’m okay
going to meetings and not drinking dont treat alcoholism. probably time to make a decision to treat the alcoholism with action,like working the steps.
whats your sponsor say?
where ya at in the steps?
where ya at in reading the bb?
have ya talked to others locally about this?
to most people youre ok.
to an alcoholic that has worked the steps at them meetings- probably not.

do you want to stop drinking for good?
are you willing to go to ANY lengths for victory over alcohol?

or do you want the vicious cycle to continue? do you want to end in a worse predicament then the cuba fiasco?

2 weeks is an eternity, but 2weeks isnt enough time to repair years and years of crap.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Anarock - I know a lot about training (anaerobic and aerobic) routines/programmes.

You're comparing an apple with an orange in terms of your weight.

Firstly that shrivelled up, dehydrated version of you (two weeks ago) would have weighed about 4 to 7 pounds less anyway. You were soaked in alcohol.

Secondly what's the point of looking 'ok' and weighing a certain number (that no one else on the planet, bar you, gives a s**t about) if your insides are dying? You think they are going to line up at your graveside and say "what a shame eh? But boy, when they were with us they looked kinda slim right?" In fact you'll be the person they talk about for years when eating cream buns and being told to stop eating bad foods:

"You're talking c**p man! I knew a kid called Anarock - always down the gym and eating lettuce leaves - been dead for years now...."

Anarock - my recovery is a lot about weights, cardio, diet etc. I KNOW how important this obsession is. But you will be gaining muscle (even if you trained before) because now you are feeding the broken down fibres in the body you are exercising with proper nutrition. Muscle weighs FOUR times that of fat. FOUR TIMES! So you can gain only one pound of muscle but lose four pounds of fat and you think nothing is improving as the scales say the same! I've been there so many times!

But the body does change in time and even the scales start to notice eventually. It can seem hard when the obsession moves from booze to exercise and the scales but stick with it. I promise you that you're a lot, lot healthier today (body composition and internal organs) than you were two weeks ago.

EDIT - When I say muscles weighs four times that of fat I know that a pound of X is the same weight as a pound of Y. But muscle is far denser than 'fluffy' fat so the body might look the same on the scales but the fluffy fat (a lot is visceral, internal fat hanging on to your organs) is going and lean muscle is being added.

Regards,

JT

Last edited by JustTony; 01-06-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: For precision....
Old 01-06-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Two weeks is awesome Anarock!!!

Just remember Rule 62-

The weight gain will level off eventually once your body adapts to having real food versus copious amounts of booze. You're doing great by going to meetings and posting here. Getting our crazy thoughts out and hearing feedback from other's that experienced the exact same turmoil is comforting. This will only get us so far. I use AA as my program of recovery. My life changed when I got a sponsor and worked the steps. Lastly, we are all on a recovery forum or in the rooms of AA to help one another without judgement. We are in this disease together and need to help one another. Good luck