Notices

Staying sober because it’s the only choice

Old 01-06-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying sober because it’s the only choice

If you’re an alcolic/addict and want to have a life which has hope, optimism, peace and serenity.

To all of those just starting or thinking about starting the recovery journey I can tell you 100% it is absolutely worth it! It’s not easy and honesty, open mindedness, and willingness are essential in my experience. If you’re willing to go to any lengths to keep your sobriety and work your recovery then ultimately the miracle will happen.

What is the miracle? Well for me it’s as written in the promises of AA: that sums it up nicely.

I realised the other day that my New Years resolutions have zero to do with not drinking and haven’t for many years; it simply becomes a way of life and the spiritual life becomes a way of living. That may seem hard to believe when you’re starting out but have faith that you too will become totally neutral and disinterested in chemically altering your mind.

Keep the faith, stay sober and providing you put the work in to your recovery and achieve the psychic change/spiritual awakening (or however you want to term it) you will be able to live in peace and tranquility within your own mind; besides the normal life on life terms stuff that inevitably everybody has to deal with.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Praying everyday it “gets better”

Day 48 today. So far so good.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RUL23 View Post
Praying everyday it “gets better”

Day 48 today. So far so good.
It absolutely does! Keep the faith. At my lowest I just kept the faith that things will get better and I wouldn’t always feel dreadful. They always do providing I keep sober and grateful.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not my only choice.

But it is the only choice that I want.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ultimately it’s the only choice if one is to avoid personal, social, mental, physical hell. Only if you’re an alcoholic of course.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is always an alcoholic death as the other choice and strangely enough, to someone who has never experienced the joy of sobriety, only the living hell of active alcoholism, an alcoholic death does not look all that bad.

The miracle you are talking about, brighterday, also became my experience. Though it was beyond my ability to imagine the kind of life I have today, I took a kind of leap of faith that people like you were telling me the truth and there had to be a better way if I was willing to work for it. I could see how others had been like me, and how they had found a way out that looked pretty good to me, and I wanted some of that. I also wanted the misery to stop.

I followed your suggestions and that is exactly what happened. I couldn’t see it, couldn’t imagine it, couldn’t understand how it might work, I just did it, and haven’t needed to drink since.

Thanks for a powerful message, one that has been true for me too.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
There is always an alcoholic death as the other choice and strangely enough, to someone who has never experienced the joy of sobriety, only the living hell of active alcoholism, an alcoholic death does not look all that bad.

The miracle you are talking about, brighterday, also became my experience. Though it was beyond my ability to imagine the kind of life I have today, I took a kind of leap of faith that people like you were telling me the truth and there had to be a better way if I was willing to work for it. I could see how others had been like me, and how they had found a way out that looked pretty good to me, and I wanted some of that. I also wanted the misery to stop.

I followed your suggestions and that is exactly what happened. I couldn’t see it, couldn’t imagine it, couldn’t understand how it might work, I just did it, and haven’t needed to drink since.

Thanks for a powerful message, one that has been true for me too.
Totally agree. That has also been my experience. Especially regarding spirituality: I’d never heard of it before I went to AA and found the talk of GOD very strange. However as I’ve progressed in my recovery my own conceptions of my HP have also developed. For me it just happened over time with no great thought about it. This is a process over years for me and is ever evolving. One thing is for certain for me personally and that it is living as best I can in a spiritual way which keeps me happy and content.