Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

As a recovering alcoholic, is it okay to use other things beyond alcohol to get a "rush?"

Notices

As a recovering alcoholic, is it okay to use other things beyond alcohol to get a "rush?"

Old 01-05-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm only 9 days sober. One of the most appealing things about booze for me is when I get that "rush." Usually in the tipsy phase - when you feel invincible and have so much energy.

Will be honest - I don't like when you drink so much and the booze becomes like a sedative they give you before surgery. But as an alcoholic, there's no way I can stop at being tipsy. I keep going until I can barely control my motor functions.

Only been sober 9 days and with being back in an environment where booze is the norm (uni and work) I have sought other avenues to get that rush. Things like exercise, music, dancing, photography.

My parents are big football fans (soccer in America) and although I have only been lightly interested in that sport throughout my life, these days I find myself watching more and more of it.

Watched a game (4 people in my house were partying and needed a distraction) a couple days ago and the rush I got from it was incredible. I was still buzzing after the game.

But that made me think. Am I just substituting the rush from booze with other activities? Even now, despite alcohol having ruined so many aspects of my life, I still crave the rush I get from it. And sometimes I fear that using these substitutes can only last so long. That eventually, I will regress. I just wanna get to the point where I just don't even wanna crave that poison. The point I don't think about the rush.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getting a natural high from something like exercise isn't the same as a chemical one. That's one thing that helps people into a daily exercise routine.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

People have enjoyed watching sports for millenia.

Same with music.

It's okay to enjoy healthy, non-intoxicating endeavors. Petting a dog is one. So is ice cream.

You know the difference, tw.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just do what you want to do, and be sober, don't try to be what other people want you to be. Just be you. I don't have this problem anymore but I used to.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

Same with music.

It's okay to enjoy healthy, non-intoxicating endeavors. Petting a dog is one. So is ice cream.

But some people don't like sports, or music, some people like watching grass grow, its ok for them, do what you like doing!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

tiredwoman, You are going to always remember that feeling that alcohol gave, and it isn't like other pursuits.

The craving will fade with time. . . but once you know something you can't unknow it.

Just make peace with it, allow the thoughts to flow through you.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
Getting a natural high from something like exercise isn't the same as a chemical one. That's one thing that helps people into a daily exercise routine.
Yeah, I used to exercise regularly before I began drinking. And I do enjoy the rush I get from it.
  # 8 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I don't think a natural adrenaline/endorphin 'high' is anything to worry about in moderation.

just so long as you didn't get a buzz off the match because you'd bet on it
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, TiredWoman! The "rush" which you described can come from many different things - exercise, exciting games, etc; as long as you remain sober during these activities, I don't see why you'd think they could be harmful. Engaging in things like that is exactly what is recommended during early sobriety.

9 days in, of course it is only natural that you still obsess about the rush you feel from getting tipsy. It is wonderful that you recognize that for you, as an alcoholic, it never ends there. That is a brave declaration to make about oneself!! The way to stay sober is to not only engage in sober activities, but actively pursue maintenance of sobriety through a program that focuses on alcoholism and addiction. AA and other groups are accessible just about anywhere in the world; I strongly suggest you get involved in one of them so that you're not just distracting yourself from drinking, but taking an active role in staying sober. Remaining sober takes work for an alcoholic; I'm testament to that. I tried distracting myself for years without putting work in, and I've relapsed more times than I can count. And if you think you've ruined many aspects of your life now, trust me it can always get worse if you don't start the work of staying sober right now, today. Not trying to scare you, but you've probably heard that alcoholism is a progressive illness; believe me, it truly is. Do NOT wait for a rock bottom - use this insight and clarity you have now to take charge and seek out a recovery community! Don't fall into the trap that I did so many times, where I'd think ok I can stay sober for an entire month; that must mean I can now control the drinking. I never could, and I never will be able to.

Congrats on 9 days and all your insights into yourself - put them into action!!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Talking

It's okay to enjoy healthy, non-intoxicating endeavors.
Everything can be an addiction, everything can be unhealthy.
Just ask Dr Gabor Mate, he used to collect classical music CD's and neglected his family doing it.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
Everything can be an addiction, everything can be unhealthy.
Just ask Dr Gabor Mate, he used to collect classical music CD's and neglected his family doing it.
So, rather than argue - what's your suggestion? I'm not sure why you're picking apart all my posts(?)

She's not talking about obsessions, she's talking about a little rush she got from watching football.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Same with music.

I do know the difference, but what I fear is that I'm using these things as distractions to put a plaster on a wound that needs a lot more. And that eventually, that won't be enough.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiredwoman View Post
I do know the difference, but what I fear is that I'm using these things as distractions to put a plaster on a wound that needs a lot more. And that eventually, that won't be enough.
I thought you were going to AA and looking for therapy?

One day at a time.

Life isn't "fixed" you just learn to manage it without alcohol. You're perfectly capable of that. Trust the process.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

don't over-think it. having fun without alcohol is OK. deal with today today, you can deal with tomorrow tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile

Yep exactly balance is hard even for the best of us.
We have to keep trying, then trying may be an addiction? But maybe its a good one?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I thought you were going to AA and looking for therapy?

One day at a time.

Life isn't "fixed" you just learn to manage it without alcohol. You're perfectly capable of that. Trust the process.
Not found a suitable AA meeting in CT yet, but I have started therapy. You're right. Guess just a little impatient. I read so many posts from folks here who don't have the cravings anymore and I just hope to be at that point sooner than later.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

are ya workin on healing the wounds?
the motive for doing what makes me feel good is important. if im doing it to avoid mental mayhen that needs to be addressed, not the best of motives.
if im doing something that makes me feel good because i enjoy doing it, nothing wrong there.

however, its still very early recovery. take it easy.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not found a suitable AA meeting in CT yet, but I have started therapy. You're right. Guess just a little impatient. I read so many posts from folks here who don't have the cravings anymore and I just hope to be at that point sooner than later.
I don't believe anyone can truthfully say they never think about having a drink.

I didn't drink for many years. Doesn't mean I didn't still look at it from time to time with a little nostalgia.

It's a thought. Let it flow up and back like an ocean wave.

In time the urges become less frequent and less urgent. It's only been nine days. Give it a few months.

Every time you go back to it your resolve is harder to grab again. Just don't pick up a drink today. Get through today.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smile

There is 2 books you should read after the BB.
Gabor Mate Hungry Ghosts.
Marc Lewis why addiction is not a disease.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Smile

I don't believe anyone can truthfully say they never think about having a drink.

Well that is your faith then isn't it? And faith is good, but we live in other times now. Its what you believe that makes you what you are.