Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

As a recovering alcoholic, is it okay to use other things beyond alcohol to get a "rush?"

Notices

As a recovering alcoholic, is it okay to use other things beyond alcohol to get a "rush?"

Old 01-05-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Cappy - if you're drinking today like you said in your thread (I am off wagon), it might be better not to post.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
are ya workin on healing the wounds?
the motive for doing what makes me feel good is important. if im doing it to avoid mental mayhen that needs to be addressed, not the best of motives.
if im doing something that makes me feel good because i enjoy doing it, nothing wrong there.

however, its still very early recovery. take it easy.
Yes I have. Started therapy yesterday. Had a couple of sessions. It's helping.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiredwoman View Post
Yes I have. Started therapy yesterday. Had a couple of sessions. It's helping.
good on ya!
early recovery is a serious roller coaster with a bajillion questions. lots of questioning everything. iffen ya keep workin on you and with T.I.M.E. the answers come and the roller coaster will settle.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

good on ya!
early recovery is a serious roller coaster with a bajillion questions. lots of questioning everything. iffen ya keep workin on you and with T.I.M.E. the answers come and the roller coaster will settle.
Definitely is a roller coaster of emotions.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well I can only speak for myself, I use exercise as a way of dealing with anxiety and depression. Yes, the endorphins feel good. They are my natural anti depressant. I don't however exercise to the point of negative consequences...not even close. I don't exercise through injury or at the deficit of my other life responsibilities. I'm not hurting myself or others.

I know when I'm misusing something. Sugar for example. And I VERY easily get addicted to a person....usually in the form of a man person. So I stay away as I know that would mess with my head. And probably his I have no idea when I'll be ready, if ever. That's ok. And drama. I LOVE drama so I steer very far from it.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Pleasure seeking is part of being human, you are fine.
If you didn't seek pleasure you'd might as well live on a desert :p enjoy yourself
Old 01-06-2018, 01:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

See for me, that's exactly what alcohol is, it is a substitute for that lack of excitement or joy in my life.
So it is definitely essential that we do find enjoyment in our lives in recovery in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, I say that because I like to see things as deeper than they are, the only thing that matters is not taking any mind altering substances and that, for me, is it...the rest you figure out along the way. That’s annoyingly simple for a complicated person
Old 01-06-2018, 01:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I remember when I was in rehab last year and it was so effing boring it was unreal. We would go in everyday, pretty much all day and just sit at a table and then every night go to AA meeting. It honestly drove me to want to drink.
Then I remember one weekend, the driver promised that he would take us all to the beach and that day it was raining and everyone was complaining, and I insisted we stuck to the promise.
So anyone we got down on the beach (it was pretty cold) and I just decided to pull my clothes off and run into to the sea.
That exhilaration had my heart pumping to a rhythm I hadn't felt since I was a teenager.
All my worries disappeared. I wanted to just stay but the driver was getting worried and told me we had to go.

I learnt a valuable lesson that day.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think when you do things you enjoy you also enjoy you appreciate the ordinary things more too. Like having a cup of tea, people watching in a cafe, reading a book, watching TV because although I wouldn't call these an addiction you can easily get into the habit of getting sucked into a dull routine which, for me, is almost as bad as drinking all the time. Some people like routine though but I detest it. My mam always says I've definitely got gypsy blood in me lol
Like I think of early man and the emergence of farming. I think we are all like that in some way still-some of us are farmers and some of us are nomads. Just my half-baked theory anyway lol
Old 01-06-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sorry I do go on abit haha
Old 01-06-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I don't think there's anything wrong with healthy outlets for fun, although anything can be taken to extremes. I am very thankful for cycling and yoga--they have helped me get fit, lose weight and receive a lovely, relaxing and wholesome natural endorphin high. Since I don't have a car now my bike is also my transport, so it serves that purpose as well. I am so grateful that my health is good after all my attempts to ruin it. Our bodies are so resilient.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Going 70 miles an hour on a harley does it for me
Old 01-06-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Motorcycle lesson today. Next week is the safety class and hopefully I pass and get the M1 endorsement by the end of the month.

Harley ain't my style, but the 70mph sounds good when I get up to it. Will start with a low-displacement Japanese bike...looking at the Yammie R3 at the moment.

Sobriety doesn't mean you lie on the couch in a desperate attempt not to feel any excitement.

Standing on top of a mountain in the wilderness is also pretty cool.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
preferrably in a 70mph zone and not something like a 15mph zone.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

preferrably in a 70mph zone and not something like a 15mph zone.
Buzzkill.

How are you today, tiredwoman?
Old 01-06-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiredwoman View Post

Am I just substituting the rush from booze with other activities? Even now, despite alcohol having ruined so many aspects of my life, I still crave the rush I get from it. And sometimes I fear that using these substitutes can only last so long. That eventually, I will regress. I just wanna get to the point where I just don't even wanna crave that poison. The point I don't think about the rush.
Congrats on your sobriety! I think it is healthy to substitute the rush from booze with healthy activities like watching sports. Actually that is one of the things they taught me in rehab. It's only a problem if you do an activity excessively to the point where it is harmful. For example if you watched sports all day instead of going to work, taking care of family, etc. I like to exercise to get a rush but if I ever exercised too much and hurt myself physically then it would be a problem.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going TW?

D