Notices

New to this

Old 01-05-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

I've never tried a meeting or even considered trying something like this before. I've always believed that I could heal myself and I did for awhile on multiple occasions. The problem is when I fall back in the hole is much deeper and its much tougher to get out. I've lost alot of good friends because of my problem , even family. So I guess one could say I'm trying something new because I dont want to be that person anymore.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some times we really need a life vest, ya know? Welcome. We won't bite.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Welcome Donnie, much support & encouragement here!
Old 01-05-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Donnie, you'll find lots of experience, strength and hope on here.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Donnie34 View Post
I've never tried a meeting or even considered trying something like this before. I've always believed that I could heal myself and I did for awhile on multiple occasions. The problem is when I fall back in the hole is much deeper and its much tougher to get out. I've lost alot of good friends because of my problem , even family. So I guess one could say I'm trying something new because I dont want to be that person anymore.
Yeah I believed that to until I had a swollen pancreas. Alcohol will kill you slowly with suffering, it should actually be a form of self harm. Little Emo kids cut their arms and its an emergency but for us no one care. Yet we are the worst form of self harm.
But do you want to die like that? Or do you want to die happy and free and healthy? I don't want to die drunk on benzo's and morphine, I want to face my creator.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
Yeah I believed that to until I had a swollen pancreas. Alcohol will kill you slowly with suffering, it should actually be a form of self harm. Little Emo kids cut their arms and its an emergency but for us no one care. Yet we are the worst form of self harm.
But do you want to die like that? Or do you want to die happy and free and healthy? I don't want to die drunk on benzo's and morphine, I want to face my creator.
I just want to live , happy and sober and be able to help others which is a passion of mine. I want to be able to move on from my past finally and be a better person.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck Donnie, you looked into the support you can get in your area?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome Donnie!

Lots of support and information for you here if you want a better life. Being willing to see what's not working and trying something different is a really good sign.

It is possible for those dreams to come true if you're willing to put in the effort. This place is a great start to show you how to do that.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
Good luck Donnie, you looked into the support you can get in your area?
Thank you Lonewolf and I haven't looked into anything in my area , all of this is quite new to me. I just woke up not really hung over but tired of disappointing and hurting people who loved me and losing relationships over drinking. I just want to be who I was before all of this , find myself if you will and stay sober.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I just want to live , happy and sober and be able to help others which is a passion of mine. I want to be able to move on from my past finally and be a better person.
Same here mate.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you Lonewolf and I haven't looked into anything in my area , all of this is quite new to me. I just woke up not really hung over but tired of disappointing and hurting people who loved me and losing relationships over drinking. I just want to be who I was before all of this , find myself if you will and stay sober.
Aye, I'm not long into it either, 6 days apart from 4 cans on one night. It is truly exhausting. I would research what you can find especially in your local area and also on the Internet, see what resonates for you.

That's the crazy thing about drink isn't it, it's like how the hell did I end up like this, but just got to do what we can.

I must say in these 6 days I've slowly felt a lot better, the cravings are ridiculous at times like and then other times I don't think about them.

I'm just trying my best to have a 'carrot to chase' so I'm not always thinking of the booze.

Sickens me when I think of drinking again and waking up thinking not an effing gain!

I'll have my fingers crossed for you
Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Talking

Aye, I'm not long into it either, 6 days apart from 4 cans on one night. It is truly exhausting. I would research what you can find especially in your local area and also on the Internet, see what resonates for you.

That's the crazy thing about drink isn't it, it's like how the hell did I end up like this, but just got to do what we can.

I must say in these 6 days I've slowly felt a lot better, the cravings are ridiculous at times like and then other times I don't think about them.

I'm just trying my best to have a 'carrot to chase' so I'm not always thinking of the booze.

Sickens me when I think of drinking again and waking up thinking not an effing gain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_-XychEyz8
Old 01-05-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm going to join the local gym , it helps me with my cravings 10 fold , my main issue for falling off the wagon is emotional instability , i'm not great with emotions but having a support group to talk to and vent some of that bottled up emotions will help. I'm glad I found this forum.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I'm going to join the local gym , it helps me with my cravings 10 fold , my main issue for falling off the wagon is emotional instability , i'm not great with emotions but having a support group to talk to and vent some of that bottled up emotions will help. I'm glad I found this forum.
If it helps you then do it, don't let anyone stop you.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

emotions can run wild when sobering up! don't let them fool you, we're here for you. I find it a little easier knowing my drying brain is causing the confusion than to just sit there confused.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
emotions can run wild when sobering up! don't let them fool you, we're here for you. I find it a little easier knowing my drying brain is causing the confusion than to just sit there confused.
Thank you Its a bit easier for me on the weekends with having my daughter , I've never drank a day that I've had her. It was something I had alot of around me when I was younger and I didn't want that to be a part of her life.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
I haven't got too much data on my phone cappy unfortunately, what was it?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah to be honest, I think since I've been on here, everything has looked rosy and I've found the encouragement to get back on my feet. Been to recovery centre twice in two days and I have done that all of last year and I've only been on here four-five days (I think).

I have a lot of pent up emotion that needs to be let out too. What do you do at the gym weights or cardio- or both?
I struggle to maintain a regular gym routine when I go lol
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah to be honest, I think since I've been on here, everything has looked rosy and I've found the encouragement to get back on my feet. Been to recovery centre twice in two days and I have done that all of last year and I've only been on here four-five days (I think).

I have a lot of pent up emotion that needs to be let out too. What do you do at the gym weights or cardio- or both?
I struggle to maintain a regular gym routine when I go lol
I start with 10 mins of cardio on the tredmil to get everything going and then ill focus a specific body part each day. And it becomes a replacement addiction but a positive one for me. It helps to take a look online and see what you're trying to achieve
Old 01-05-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've always believed that I could heal myself

I'm a smart guy, I used to think the same thing.

After many attempts to get and stay sober over the years, I realized a couple of things.

1. I was a drunk.

2. I was using my own logic and thinking to get, and stay, sober.

Conclusion #1. I was relying on a drunks advice and experience (my own) to get, and stay, sober.

Conclusion #2. Maybe I'm not as smart as I think, and I should get some outside help.