Notices

Worried About Clonazepam Withdrawal

Old 01-05-2018, 02:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried About Clonazepam Withdrawal

Hello All!
I am new to This Forum, but not new to "Forums". I'm hoping that will help me from posting in the wrong area/s, etc.
I have read many of your posts before I joined, and it looks like you folks are "Good People", who are happy to give help, support, and provide information if you are able. I truly appreciate that.
I hope to be of help to any of you as well.
Please do not hesitate to reply to any of my posts if you have even the slightest bit of information. I value all of your experience, and respect what you have been through, and/or are still going through, with drugs (prescription and non-prescription), alcohol, and any other substance you may have chosen.
This is my "Introduction", and I'd like to thank you all in advance for anything you may have to say.
Thank You!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi eruxelf, Welcome to SR, yea it is a great place to find support and help..
What is it that u r wanting to know about exactly? What might happen with benzo withdrawals?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I went through klonopin withdrawal on my own at home. The most agonizing three days of my life, and it took nearly 6 weeks to start feeling normal again. My doctor had tapered me down, but it was a 3 day taper which was ridiculously short. I was also drinking on top of it.

Whatever you do, it should be done VERY SLOWLY, especially if you have been on a relatively high dose for a long time. Do some online research to be your own advocate, and work closely with a doctor.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did it on my own too. However I would say that was before I realised that you couldn't just stop, you should taper.
I too was drinking.
I was prescribed them from my GP for sleep.

I took a week off work and stopped them.
It was like having flu - I ached, I slept a lot.
I felt strange. I felt very delicate if that makes any sense.

I can't say it was easy. Not the hardest thing I have ever done but not really hideous in the grand scheme of stopping drugs and drink and having withdrawals.

I would recommend you go to the doctor or get medical advice and supervision.

I have known other friends taper off different drugs - all legally prescribed.
Some tapers are long and slow others are faster.
I think it varies for each individual. No one person will have the same experience.

I would say be prepared and don't take any risks.

I wish you the best x
Old 01-05-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with Clonazepam but I wanted to say hi and welcome ERUXELF

D
Old 01-05-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It really does depend on how much you were taking and for how long. And your individual chemistry. Just be careful.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Just wondering why you are tapering off Clonazepam in the first place?
I've been on it since 1998 for Anxiety Disorder. Began at .5mg/day now am at 2mg/day. Ofcourse I drank as well.
I had to taper off it twice in order to get into inpatient Rehab...my Dr. wrote down a simple 2 week taper schedule. I had no withdrawal whatsoever. DO NOT attempt stopping any benzo on your own by info off the internet. You could have a grand mal seizure without warning hit your head on hard surface and suffer brain damage or worse. Or you could be driving your car...Fact is the Dr. will know how to taper you as it depends on what dosage you are on. Best of luck
Old 01-06-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I went through klonopin withdrawal on my own at home. The most agonizing three days of my life, and it took nearly 6 weeks to start feeling normal again. My doctor had tapered me down, but it was a 3 day taper which was ridiculously short. I was also drinking on top of it.

Whatever you do, it should be done VERY SLOWLY, especially if you have been on a relatively high dose for a long time. Do some online research to be your own advocate, and work closely with a doctor.
Ditto to what this guy said. It can't be overstated that it's a slow process and ONLY should be done under the care of a physician. I was on klonopin for over 15 years. Granted, I never needed to increase above the 1mg maintenance dose I was on but was scared to death of the withdrawal I heard so much about. It can be done and I did do it without debilitating symptoms. I hope you can walk through it, as it could afford you a lot of freedom. You (and your doc) will ultimately have to weigh if it makes sense for you to be off them vs. the alternative.

Glad you made it here. Welcome. You're in the right place

T.